April 25, 2025 Friday
EXPO Day 1
I wrote earlier about how Art and I had managed to go to the Osaka EXPO in 1970. He was in the Air Force by then and had gone sometime in spring. I'd gone with a 6 week-college credit Art and Architecture tour. We would meet the following year.
Anyway, Art thought we needed to extend our time in Japan this time after the tour to return to Osaka for the 2025 EXPO, but together this time. Good gosh! It's been 55 years!
Back then, we were very impressed with the USA Pavilion. There were displays of the moon capsule and we all got to gaze at a rather large moon rock.
OK... now here we are in Osaka again. We knew it could be a rather tiring day so we bolstered ourselves with a big breakfast at the hotel. The rooms may have been small, but the breakfast buffet was very nice.
Art had done a lot of research online to see what pavilions we should attend.
Tickets also had to be ordered online.
Ummmm...
The trains were PACKED!
There were a couple of train transfers before we arrived at the Yumeshima (Dream Island) stop.
Our tickets were for 10:00 AM and I was surprised at the crowds that were waiting outside.
When the group in front of us heard us talking in English, the woman turned to speak to us. She happened to be an English language teacher with a few of her middle school students and a department head.
The girls absolutely loved practicing what they'd learned with us and it really passed the time enjoyably. The teacher was happy hearing that I was a retired teacher from the US.
We passed through a security check.
The first place on Art's list was France. And yes. They did an amazing job with their pavilion highlighting a lot on their culture, arts and fashion. Their theme was a Hymn to Love.
This was an exhibit linking Mont-Saint Michel and a Japanese torii.
And yes, we needed to see the USA Pavilion to see what they would be highlighting.
It emphasized working with other countries, inviting students from abroad to study at our universities, and the diversity of our population.
Obviously, all this was created before Trump came into office. 😏
As in 1970, our space program was especially highlighted. There was a long line to see a moon rock and attendants rushed you through it saying you could take just two photos and move on.
Unlike 1970, I really couldn't believe I was taking a photo of a moon rock.
All in all...
I was rather underwhelmed by our pavilion.
Next on Art's list was the Austrian Pavilion.
This is from the Smithsonian website:
Lamarr shared her concept for using “frequency hopping” with the U.S. Navy and codeveloped a patent with Antheil 1941. Today, her innovation helped make possible a wide range of wireless communications technologies, including Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth.
I was surprised at learning about her accomplishments as a scientist a while ago and remembered seeing old movies of Hedy Lamarr while growing up.
And now the 3rd Pavilion. We were doing a lot of walking looking for the different pavilions and I was hot and getting quite tired.
Switzerland was next.
They had a bubble machine which was fun. You could speak a wish into a funnel and a bubble would rise up with your wish.
There were more exhibits showing their advancements with robotics.
OK... This was a Swiss display about a robotic cake.
Sign on display:
The Robocake features two edible dancing bears and LED candles powered by edible chocolate batteries. Would you eat one?
I was REALLY tired by now so we stopped for refreshments, and then just took the escalator to the upper level so we could have a bird's eye view of the area.
It was now getting late, but we stopped at a pavilion that showcased smaller countries. We went in so we could visit countries that we and/or our son had traveled to.
I was REALLY, REALLY tired now. 😫 It was exhausting to walk everywhere in the hot sun looking for all the different pavilions. I was not looking forward to returning the following day, but the tickets had already been bought.
We boarded the train back to our MyStays hotel.
As we (me actually...Art is in much better athletic shape) trudged back to our hotel, we stopped by the Yayoi Teishoku Restaurant.
There was that machine again to take your order.
Art goofed and actually mistakenly ended up with two salads which he was happy with. Incredibly, our bill for both of us was $12.40.
We stopped at a convenience store and bought big bottles of tea and water.
I drank a lot of both that evening and slept really well.
I hope the gallons of liquid rehydrated you and made the next day easier.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Wikipedia, it has been a long time since a world expo has been here, 1962 to be precise. I hope that someday I have an opportunity to visit one, here or abroad.
ReplyDeleteI would be tired too with all the walking and crowds. We went to the Shanghai Expo in 2010 with daughter Sarah who was teaching in China at that time. While in line a man heard us speaking in English and introduced himself. He was an English language instructor but had never heard any native English language speakers before. We had a good time speaking with him. One day was enough for us. I actually wore a hole in a pair of linen pants from all the walking!
ReplyDeleteFun tiring times -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI would absolutely love that Expo! I don't think I'd ever leave. Fascinating displays and yes, the U.S. one doesn't fit now at all. Sadly. I loved the breakfast buffets when I was in South Korea and Thailand. They were incredible!
ReplyDeleteThe crowds on the trains would make me a bit nervous. That was so nice to practice speaking with the middle schoolers. Those are nice exhibits. We went to Expo '67 in Montreal and I mostly remember the Chekozlovakia building. I prefer EPCOT center at Disney World as a way to experience different countries. Less walking; just 10 steps between "countries." Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: Do you know I’ve never been to the Epcot? 🥴 Onnnne of these days.
DeleteMaybe you can convince Art: not much luggage, no health injections, no passport. Disney even hires kids to work the stores, restaurants and rides from their respective countries in each section. Helps to make you feel like you really are imersed into that country. But Florida might be a tad dangerous right now. Linda B.
DeleteHi Kay! I think you and Art are having some wonderful experiences. But boy, would I be tired too! And what surprises me more than anything - are the crowds. Is it that crowded everywhere in Japan? I do hope you are wearing masks - at least in the lines and the transportation areas... (know you probably are).
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: Tokyo is very crowded, but it’s not as bad in other parts of Japan. And oh yes, we wore masks a LOT in Japan… especially on the trains. More people in Japan wear masks than in the US.
ReplyDeleteI would be exhausted too. Too much to see!
ReplyDeleteThat's a massive area for displays. Don't tell Trump about the American display or he'll change it. Thanks for showing the displays and your descriptions.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how many steps you could count on your walks between the pavilions. You saw a lot and I'm looking forward to the next episode of this EXPO story. After all, you have already bought the tickets!
ReplyDeletePretty overwhelming amazing expo
ReplyDeleteRather surreal it's been fifty years for you
Adam
NEKORANDOM.COM
Oh dear. The US pavilion sounds so depressing in the current on-going crash.
ReplyDeleteCeci
Where does the time go?!
ReplyDelete