Well... it wasn't funny exactly. It's just something that surprised me and stayed in my head days later. I'm only writing about it now because I jotted the incident down on a scrap of paper as something I might write a post about later.
Art and I were doing some shopping at the Navy commissary at Pearl Harbor. It was a bit crowded and I told Art we should move our shopping cart to the side to let someone get by. I then smiled at the well dressed attractive woman in what looked like a business suit as she went by us. She did not look like a local person.
Anyway, as she rushed past us, she turned and said, "You have a nice haircut."
I'd cut mom and Art's hair a couple of weeks before and I had been planning to cut my own hair soon.So I'm wondering...
Why would this stranger suddenly make it a point to tell me I had a nice haircut?
Uuumm...
I should have felt complimented, right?
Instead I was puzzled.
The funny thing is, since that time, I haven't cut my hair. 😄
I will though... soon.
That’s very interesting, but she’s right, you do have a nice haircut. Happy New Year to you and your dear family Kay.
ReplyDeleteI do like your hair cut. If you lived in NYC this would not have occurred. Hawaii sounds more like the Sout!
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: I haven’t traveled south much. Now I’m curious. 😄
DeleteMost people would feel happy to get a compliment, but you felt confused, which makes it more interesting and more human. It shows how one simple comment can change our behavior, even when we don’t fully understand why.
ReplyDeleteWho knows it happen to me either one day
You do have a cute haircut! My short haircut is horrid this winter mostly because I'm always using stocking caps and it creates a messy do!
ReplyDeleteI did have a woman stop me in the store once and comment on a hat I was wearing!
It looks nice.You look nice.
ReplyDeleteA compliment is a compliment I guess -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI don't think it looks like you need a haircut. It's a very flattering style for you. The woman was right.
ReplyDeleteI think she just liked your hairstyle - and so do I! Very flattering!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to receive a compliment. Enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteHey! You do have a nice haircut. I dont mind telling other women on something I notice looks good on them. We should speak up when we see beauty! Hmmm, no one says things like that to me...so, be thankful! LOL!
ReplyDeleteAccept it at face value and say thank you. I get compliments on my hair every time I go out. They come from all sorts of people--young/old, and in all sorts of settings. I always say thank you and then tell them I will pass the compliment along to my hairdresser who loves to hear the compliments. You, being the hairdresser, could just say, thanks, I do it all myself. Sometimes I get asked about the color (it's a special formula) or how do I keep it looking so good (it's a special shampoo) and I will even share the for formula and shampoo. Now and then they ask to take a picture to show their hairdresser. Sure. I'm amenable.
ReplyDeleteKay, I've felt the same way a few times... when people actually stopped to compliment. Once a person stopped us to say that we were a cute couple... ?? We thanked them, but wondered "why?" But it's possible that many just like to say what they're thinking out loud... something I find hard to do. But enjoy the compliment... and maybe hold off on cutting your hair?
ReplyDeleteI think you look nice. So did she. I confess to doing things like that to strangers, in lineups or other boring spots. I complement on clothing, hair, behaviour of attached child, etc. No one has ever seemed upset by it, but maybe they, like you, wondered why afterwards. The 'why' for me is to lighten up somone's day.
ReplyDeleteI agree and do the same. And when I get a compliment I reply with a very happy "thank you!"
DeleteI think your hair is fine. Nice to have the compliment. Sounds like a person visiting Hawaii on business from the mainland. I've had people compliment me on your masks! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: That is so awesome!
DeleteAh, a story: a lady from out of state for meetings on the base where the commissary is wishing she had had time to have her hair done or even trimmed before this important career event. In the commissary she sees someone with exactly the hair and cut she wishes she had and spontaneously compliments that person before rushing off to the next thing in her day.
ReplyDeleteCeci
Kay of Musings: I love your story, Ceci!
DeleteI like your hair! Mine gets compliments when I least expect them.
ReplyDeleteA double compliment: it looks good on you, and you cut it yourself!
ReplyDeleteYou do look good and you seem like a nice person and she saw you do a nice thing so I think she felt compelled to return the Aloha. See you are spreading it Kay. Good job!
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to get a good haircut that you like.
ReplyDeleteThat is rather funny. I notice people also tell me that when I think I need a haircut, and right after I get my haircut, nobody tells me that it is nice.
ReplyDeleteSpontaneous compliments seem rare now as people avoid making things seem unintentionally awkward. I'm glad you got one, though.
ReplyDeleteI've a haircut today. For someone with social anxiety, I have to plan carefully. It is nice to get a compliment.
ReplyDeleteYour hair cut suits you.
ReplyDelete