Blog buddies know that (unlike Art) I get very stressed before a trip. I do. Sigh...
We'll be leaving soon for the Winter Festival in Hokkaido. It was a moment of weakness when other travelers (including my cousin) in April of last year mentioned enjoying the trip and the incredible ice sculptures they saw in that northernmost island of Japan. So we signed up for it. These are photos my cousin texted me. He's done this trip 3 times!
Without a doubt, it's good for us to get a break from caring for my mom whose memory seems to be fading by the day. People have told us we're very lucky that she is in such good shape at 96 and so happy. Mom is always grateful for everyone caring for her.
But still... we need this time away. I could not be handling everything without Art. Truly. And he really needs to travel because that's always been one of his favorite things to do. That's the reason my blog address is https://travelerswife.blogspot.com/
Mom's worsening condition is making it more and more difficult for me to visit other bloggers or even to keep my blog posting on schedule. And yet, I need to maintain my writing to try to keep my brain operating. I'm getting awfully scary forgetful.
I am also very lucky that I have a brother who will drop everything to come and help. He'll be staying with mom to care for her and keep her company.
Therefore... I'm taking this hiatus now and will let you know how the trip went when I get back. Stay well everybody and stay warm.
Oh gosh... what more to pack? Gloves, scarves, snow cleats, jackets, thermal underwear, medications, ACK!

Enjoy yourself once you get there. Seems like your mother will be in good hands.
ReplyDeleteThe older I get the more thrown by things and obsessing about events I have become. Little things seem much bigger than they used to. Single task - that seems to help. Wishing you pleasant adventures!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a blessing to your family and especially mom. It is hard for people who have not been caregivers to understand the mental strain in doing such work. I know you are stressed about the trip, but I think taking a break and getting away is so important. And what a beautiful trip it will be! We can't wait for the photos when you return and understand that your life is one step at a time at this point.
ReplyDeleteYour Mom will be in good hands, and you'll have time playing in the cold! (Remember the hand warmers for your hands or to tape on your shoulder shirt.) Linda in Kansas (we got up to 32 degrees F yesterday! Back down to 3 for mornings this week.)
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: My daughter gives us the weather report from Chicago on the way home from work. She said yesterday, “Oh goodie! We got 21degrees.” 🥶 🥴 And yes, because of your earlier reminder, I did pack the hand warmers that Tif gave us last year. I’d forgotten about it. I also learned that all the konbini (convenience stores) sell them.
DeleteSafe trip!
ReplyDeleteHave a fabulous time!! I’m excited for you! (Your list at the end needs to include boots and hand warmers. Haha!) 🤗
ReplyDeleteKay of Musings: Yup. Yup. Got them packed. 😁
DeleteYay!!! Don’t stress…enjoy! (Pat)
DeleteEven caring for those we love, we sometimes need a break. Enjoy your trip and I can't wait to see any pictures you share upon your return.
ReplyDeleteKay, enjoy your trip! Looking forward to some great pics! And it's good for both your mom and your brother to have some time together.
ReplyDeleteHave a good trip. Your Mom will be in good hands, don't worry.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited for your trip; it looks incredible! I know Art and you need time away, stressful though it may be in the traveling stages. You have a gem of a brother!
ReplyDeleteWe will miss you but as a caregiver, this break is needed. Your mom will be ok and your trip will be wonderful. Travel safe, cannot wait to hear all about it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, JJ. I will certainly report everything I see.
DeleteEnjoy!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to know someone else gets nervous before a trip. I've given up traveling but I don't have an Art. Maybe it's a good thing to be forced out of your comfort zone sometimes. Easy for me to say, Right?
ReplyDeleteHave a good one, my friend!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are getting a break from your care giving. I know from experience how draining it can be but while that was my life I kept telling myself I was lucky to be in circumstances that allowed me to take care of my mom, and lucky to have a helpful husband. Didn't help, I was still exhausted. ANYWAY have a lovely trip. Pre-travel I usually develop a terrific upset stomach in the taxi to the airport, at least I am predictable.
ReplyDeleteWarm regards (since you don't have a warm destination).
Ceci
Oh wow! You and I are twins. The closer I get to this trip, the more crazy I get with my packing. And then I worry about having everything ready for my brother to move in. It's great that my sister-in-law also helps out by preparing some meals. Once I'm on the trip, I'm usually OK. However, I haven't traveled in midwinter yet although I did live in Chicagoland for 35 years.
DeleteI hope you will let yourself relax and enjoy all of it. Sending you off with hugs! Bon voyage.
ReplyDeleteHave a good trip.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
I am sure the vacation will be worth all it took to get there.
ReplyDeleteCare givers need a break. So it's good that you are getting away.
ReplyDeleteAnother journey,….take it.
ReplyDeleteI think it is a lot of stress to watch your mom fade. It is also a 24 hour a day job. You and Art need this break. I hope you can relax and enjoy your trip.
ReplyDeletei hope you are able to enjoy the trip, i think you will. pack lots of warm clothes and even more patience. i am caring for my 91 year old mother and i could really use a break. the pictures look so wonderful, i wish i were going!!
ReplyDeleteHello, Kay. I think I know how you've felt while watching over and taking care of such an old mother. Sometimes a caregiver needs a break. As you might know, we are experiencing an intense, frigid cold wave with heavy, disruptive snowfall across wide areas. Snow is rare here in Nara, but we are chilled to the bone, brrrrr. Have a lovely time in Sapporo.
ReplyDeleteYoko
Sometimes you just have to take time for yourself. Your trip sounds wonderful and we all look forward ton reading about it, in due course.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
ReplyDeleteI think it is going to be a fabulous trip and I look forward to all those amazing photos you will share when you get back. To take care of your mom you need to take care of yourself too, and this is a great way of doing that. So glad you have your brother to step up when you need him to. What a sweet family you have. Happy travels!
ReplyDelete