The neighbors all came rushing out of their houses to look at it. We all stood there with our eyes unable to turn away from the skies, marveling at the beautiful colors. By the time somebody thought to go and get a camera, it was gone.
Now that we're in Hawaii, we see rainbows all the time. Still, I can't help but be fascinated by them. I often see the colorful ribbons of light stretching across the sky just by looking out my window.
A couple of days ago, I saw the strangest rainbow since we've moved to Hawaii. This rainbow seemed to be glowing from the ground.

We've been having a series of fall showers so rainbows are even more prevalent. They change as the drizzle or the angle of the sun alters. As I walked closer toward this rainbow, the colors seemed to strengthen.

Art ran home, grabbed his camera and took this photo from the 2nd floor.
One of our neighbors asked what I was doing and I pointed to the flat rainbow.
"Isn't it amazing?" I asked.
He laughed and walked away shaking his head. I guess he must think his new neighbors are a little lolo. (Hawaiian pidgin for Not smart or crazy)
We must have seen a million rainbows while living in Ireland, but I never saw one like that! I love how you did the header -- and told my son about Hawaiian license plates when I showed him.
ReplyDeleteI am also very curious about that flat and vivid rainbow. Can you call your local meteorologist and email him a pic if necessary and ask what causes this phenomenon? Tell him you're a blogger for Hawaii and your readers from all over the world want to know.
ReplyDeleteI also get very excited by rainbows. Have seen only one here in Israel in the last 4 years. You're so lucky.
I think it is your neighbor who is lolo, not you. :)
Absolutely beautiful, Kay! I was just thinking about rainbows yesterday. I have only one rainbow photo, and it was taken on a cruise. We so seldom get rainbows here in Alberta. One of the things I miss since I left the west coast. I hope to see some in Hawaii soon.
ReplyDelete-- K
Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
These rainbows are outstanding! I see them when I am in the car, but never from home as we don't have a view. Alas. Lucky you!
ReplyDeleteRainbows are such happy and peaceful anomalies. I just love them. Thanks for sharing something so rare.
ReplyDeletehilarious your neighbor's reaction.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful rainbows! Your neighbor is "lolo" for forgetting to notice everyday (for you guys) things. It is the ability to find wonder in the little things that help keep us young!
ReplyDeleteDina: I wrote to Guy Hagi, our weather "guy." I don't know if he'll reply, but I tried.
ReplyDeleteI see lots of rainbows here in Florida also. I may have seen one the 30 some odd years I lived in NJ, but just about every time it rains now, I see one. The pictures you captured of rainbows are stunning! They look much more vibrant there than here in Florida. Just beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteThe way the clouds were and the angle of the sun make that such an unusual rainbow. I'm glad you captured this one.
ReplyDeleteI got a shot once of a long, low rainbow like that over the lava fields by Kalapana, but it wasn't so bright.
You wrote to the weather Guy?! Thanks, Kay! And I know you don't have a lot of free time. I'll bet he will answer.
ReplyDeleteFunny what we learn to take for granted....beautiful....
ReplyDelete