Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Joys of Home Ownership

The morning of the Bonsai Party, Art went downstairs ahead of time to put the laundry into the washer.

When he went outside, he found the side of the house flooded.  Water, water everywhere!    He looked for the source and found it was coming from the water heater shed.  He could hear some sort of ominous hissing sound.

The stainless steel braided flexible hose had sprung a leak.  We've never seen that happen before.  Water was spraying all over the shed.

Art turned the water off and came upstairs to tell me.

"What???"  I wasn't hysterical; just losing my cool.   "Can we find a plumber on a Saturday?  How much will this cost?  Are you sure you won't get electrocuted walking around there?  Do we have any water?  Can I use the bathroom.  Arrrgh!!!"

Did I mention I'm not all that calm under pressure?

"Don't worry," said Art.  "I think I can fix it."

"Think?  You're not sure?  How?"  I have lots of faith in him... most of the time.

"We'll just run down to Home Depot after the party and replace the hose," he reassured me.

And by golly!  That's what he did! Home Depot had just what he needed and it's all fixed.

Today, mom called Art to tell him the window couldn't close properly.

"It's under warranty," he said.  "I'll call and have them come and fix it."

Phew!

38 comments:

  1. This is so funny! I react the same way to these emergencies and Mr. Cool, i.e. Terry,calmly handles them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing your heater is located outside and not inside the house. Imagine the entire house being flooded.
    Our heater is in the patio, so I don't worry about a leak.
    Same with our washer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in Illinois our washer and heater were in the garage so we didn't have to worry too much. I just can't believe the hose sprung a leak like that.

      Delete
  3. So glad it all worked out (I mean, that Art got everything to work).
    There should be one calming influence person in every married couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully, neither C nor I get stressed over things like that, but we often have to call someone in because C isn't all that handy with DIY jobs. It's just as well that Art knew what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. husbands need more appreciation...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the very incidents that get me thinking...do i really need a house to take care of? There is always, always something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Art talks about downsizing someday.

      Delete
  7. I don't get too stressed about stuff like that even though neither of us is very handy. We do have a handy man who will (usually) get here pretty fast if there is an emergency. Glad to hear Art got it fixed without too much hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. luckily it was just the hose, not terribly hard to replace. Mine is in a little closet-like "room" and we'd know for sure if that had a leak since it'd get in the main hallway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Those look like big diameter hoses. After a leak with cheaper hoses a jillion years ago, I've purchased those stainless steel mesh-covered ones for my clothes washer. I have pipes in/out of my water heater.

    I can't picture you freaking so much. Remember "the Big Picture: Nobody expired; nobody got hurt; okay, now what do we do?" usually puts a good perspective on the problem.

    Shining Knight Art saves the day again! DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to tell you this but that hose was a stainless steel mesh covered hose. That's why we were surprised it sprung a leak. I'm up early this morning. Could barely get any sleep. I woke up three times last night with nightmares. Actually Art had to wake me because he heard my groans. I finally had to just leave the bedroom so I wouldn't disturb him. That's why I'm commenting so early in the morning. I'd better try to get some rest now.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Kay, I caught that, so I'm real surprised too. When I got my son and DIL a washer/dryer last spring, I insisted and got the stainless steel mesh-covered ones for the installation.

      A little glass of wine or a Benadryl may help you sleep tonight. DrumMajor

      Delete
    3. Talked to my son and he says he thinks it was all anxiety driven. I should be OK tonight, hopefully. The procedure was cancelled today and rescheduled for next week. I wrote about it for Friday.

      Delete
  10. Glad he could fix your problem. Most of the time --when things like this happen, it's always on the weekend or a holiday, and you can't get professional help... Your problem worked out well this time.. fun fun..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kay, you're right! With a home it's always something!

    How do you get the reply thingies on your comment site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mage asked me the same thing, Kathy so I wrote a post explaining exactly what to do. It is scheduled to be posted next Wednesday, February 5th. It's called Threaded Comments.

      Delete
    2. Now that I'm thinking about it, I just changed the times around and moved the Threaded Comments blog post to next Monday, February 3rd instead.

      Delete
  12. The most frightening words a husband can utter....I think I can fix it! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Art is a gem! Calm, cool and collected under fire. Plus, he's one of those quiet guys who doesn't show his cards. You're both lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! He's definitely a keeper. Mom says she knew it the minute she saw him.

      Delete
  14. Nothing like a person who know the difference between being able to make a repair and using the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go Art.
    If something like that happens to me on a weekend, I take the offending part to the hardware store and not only get a replacement but I have them go step by step on how to replace it. They really are good about it, and a head of white hair helps. On a week day, I pick up the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are renters, and it's really no different: things always seem to happen when you can't get any help with it. Our water heater (indoors) began to leak last fall and we didn't even notice it. The next-door tenant saw telltale signs as it had happened to him before, so the entire heater was replaced before any damage was done. I sure would LOVE to have an Art around my home all the time, Kay. You are so, so lucky. But you already knew that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it possible a rodent chewed on the water tubing? that happened to us in our brand new Whidbey island house. A rat chewed the dishwasher hose and we had water running down the outside wall before a neighbor noticed and got the water turned off for us. Fortunately the damage was minimal with a good drying out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the tubing was protected by meshed stainless steel. We're still surprised it would leak. It was a plumber who installed it.

      Delete
  18. Spraying water? On the boat that meant PUMP! BAIL! Don't SINK!

    Art seems equal to any problem you will encounter


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art knows nothing about boats, Cloudia. :- )

      Delete
  19. Glad Art could fix it, he really is very handy at those things.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate to laugh here, but you sound so much like me (not calm) I can't help bu giggle a bit. That's about when PaPa-dellgirl would say to me, "Calm down, calm down, it's not that bad. Why don't you go inside and .....something something something...and I'll be in there in a minute."

    So glad Art got it taken care of and everything is all right now.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.