Thursday, January 9, 2014

White Poinsettias in Hawaii

Our neighbor had been methodically covering her large bush with a light tarp for over a month.  It seemed rather an original thing to do so I asked her why.  Apparently the bright street lights were preventing her bush from blooming because it needed darkness at night to produce flowers.


Sometime in December the bush rewarded her with a blanket of tiny white flowers.  It was so beautiful that I asked her what it was called.  She said it was a White Poinsettia bush.  I must have appeared skeptical that it was a poinsettia so she showed me how it had a milky sap and then had me look at the tiny flowers up close.  Sure enough!  (You can click on this photo to enlarge it.)


Mom calls it a White Christmas flower and said that they had a bush in the back of their previous home.  I never noticed it because we tended to visit in summers when the bush was not in bloom.  You can see hints of pink in some of the flowers.

My neighbor had said that this would be the last year she'd cover the bush, but we've complimented her so much on it that I have a feeling she might be tempted to do it one more time. 

32 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I guess the bush would be unsightly with the tarp on. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. And I learned something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! I'm here from DJanity's blog after I noticed you mentioned Hawai'i. I would love to be there right 'bout now.

    I've never seen a WHITE poinsettia bush before. We have one in Texas that I know of [the wild, natural kind that is not the store bough hybrids]...a very large one in San Antonio, but it's the red kind. And I have seen red only in Old Mexico along highways. This white bloomer looks so perfect and beautiful!!

    Anyway, it's nice to meet you Kay. And I hope you have a terrific Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anni! Any friend of DJan's is a friend of mine. Thank you very much for your visit and kind comment. The red poinsettias are really a splash of color that I enjoy, but these teeny tiny white ones were a surprise for me. Have a great weekend, Anni. I'll hop over to your blog for a visit soon.

      Delete
  4. its beautiful, I have never heard of this, I hope she finds someone to help her cover it again , it would be a shame to not allow this beautiful plant to not do its "thing", its wonderful,

    ReplyDelete
  5. great poinsettias, never seen ones so majestic

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of work to cover the bush nightly. I've seen pointy white hybrid poinsettias in pots on the Mainland, but this one appears with a slightly different bloom.
    I was stunned to see huge red poinsettia bush-trees in Hawaii. Everything grows in your tropical clime.
    DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely but I bet a pain in the neck to remember to cover it every night. That takes real devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photo of the the bush in bloom is stunning. I'm glad your neighbor's efforts paid off in such a beautiful way. I hope your praise will inspire her to help it along to another year of blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be a variation on a poinsettia. It's beautiful what ever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kay, Wow---that Poinsettia bush is GORGEOUS. I've never seen one that large. I love it.... Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful plants to say the least

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful!! Not surprising as everywhere I turned in Hawaii I was heartened by beautiful flowers. How wonderful to be able to enjoy blooms of some sort all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her devotion to tucking the bush in each night payed off. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely. I bet if she asked, Art would help her go over and sail the sheets up and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art would definitely help her, but she does have a son living with her who helps her with all the gardening adventures.

      Delete
  15. Lovely. You sure are on a snowy white streak, Kay♥. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely shrub. How sad the street lights must be on all night! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, now you and Anni are friends! Isn't it wonderful the way the blog world works? And I do love that pretty white tiny poinsettia, Kay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Anni is such a wonderful blogger. I was happy to meet her through you. They sure are the mini-est poinsettias I've ever seen.

      Delete
  18. How BEAUTIFUL! We got more snow today, so I'm loving the warm-weather pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is lovely. A lot of work covering it every night but is sure looks great when the flower bloom

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a beautiful bush but I am with your Mom, I don't think it is a real poinsettia.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely shrub! It's certainly worth covering for that display of blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  22. From a distance I would never have imagined that is what the blooms looked like. I am amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, Kay. That Poinsettia bush is awesome, I have never seen that particular variety before. The leaves on the ones I see are so different. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's gorgeous! I haven't seen the white Poinsettia's yet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ohhh it's just beautiful!! It would be a shame to let it go, the blooms are so pretty, much different then our poinsettias here!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I knew poinsettia required this, but I didn't know there was such a thing as a tree!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How interesting. That's one way to fight light pollution.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.