I went to bed early at 9:30 because I knew I'd have to get up at 3:45 to get ready to leave by 5:00 to get to the Aloha Stadium where we'd be boarding a shuttle to the Aloha Tower starting line in downtown Honolulu.
Unfortunately I woke up at midnight and couldn't get back to sleep. I finally gave up at 3:00 and started preparing for the morning ahead.
Art woke up and checked the weather map. All those green colored rain indicators did not bode well for our walk. I packed my rain poncho.
We picked up our friends, Dave and Diane's daughter, Kristin who is also a teacher and headed out toward our adventure.
That space ship looking building is the Aloha Stadium. The queue to the boarding point stretched forever, but the shuttle buses lining up on the left came in a steady stream.
We arrived at the Aloha Tower well before the 7:00 start time.
The rain did not deter anyone from coming. I've never seen it so crowded.
We couldn't even see the military jog by at the beginning.
The Star Spangled Banner was sung followed by Hawaii's anthem, Hawaii Pono'i.
No rain.
So far so good.
The starting shot boomed out and the crowd surged forward.
We saw a few costumes on the way.
There were quite a number of people encouraging us along the way and we hadn't even walked two miles yet.
We saw a sign saying that this was the 30th Great Aloha Run. The 8.1 mile GAR funds a lot of important charity organizations in Hawaii.
It started to drizzle.
Just as it started to rain a little more heavily we came to the viaduct.
My rain poncho got to be a little too warm.
It was great to be sheltered from the rain.
When we got to the four mile half way point we felt pretty confident that we'd be able to finish. Kristin said her back ached a bit. The back of my knees were hurting a little. I'm glad I took a couple of Motrin before I left the house.
Art was perfectly fine, just disappointed that he couldn't run. He almost bounced with energy. Normally, he'd already have been done with the race by now.
When we saw the 7 mile marker, we were ecstatic!
And then....
There it was!
The Aloha Stadium!
It was still drizzling a bit, but we never had the downpour that we were worried about.
The cloudy skies probably made it a more comfortable walk.
The astonishing thing is we didn't need to use the bathroom during the entire race.
There were lots of port-a-potties, but we never used them. We were hoping that would cut our time considerably.
Last year our walk time was
2:48:32.
Art's run time last year was
01:15:36.
This year our walk time was
2:35:55.
We went to collect our Finisher bananas, treats, water, t-shirts, etc.
There was such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. We found our car and headed home where we all took naps.
Yahoo!
Unfortunately I woke up at midnight and couldn't get back to sleep. I finally gave up at 3:00 and started preparing for the morning ahead.
Art woke up and checked the weather map. All those green colored rain indicators did not bode well for our walk. I packed my rain poncho.
We picked up our friends, Dave and Diane's daughter, Kristin who is also a teacher and headed out toward our adventure.
That space ship looking building is the Aloha Stadium. The queue to the boarding point stretched forever, but the shuttle buses lining up on the left came in a steady stream.
We arrived at the Aloha Tower well before the 7:00 start time.
The rain did not deter anyone from coming. I've never seen it so crowded.
We couldn't even see the military jog by at the beginning.
The Star Spangled Banner was sung followed by Hawaii's anthem, Hawaii Pono'i.
No rain.
So far so good.
The starting shot boomed out and the crowd surged forward.
We saw a few costumes on the way.
There were quite a number of people encouraging us along the way and we hadn't even walked two miles yet.
We saw a sign saying that this was the 30th Great Aloha Run. The 8.1 mile GAR funds a lot of important charity organizations in Hawaii.
It started to drizzle.
Just as it started to rain a little more heavily we came to the viaduct.
My rain poncho got to be a little too warm.
It was great to be sheltered from the rain.
When we got to the four mile half way point we felt pretty confident that we'd be able to finish. Kristin said her back ached a bit. The back of my knees were hurting a little. I'm glad I took a couple of Motrin before I left the house.
Art was perfectly fine, just disappointed that he couldn't run. He almost bounced with energy. Normally, he'd already have been done with the race by now.
When we saw the 7 mile marker, we were ecstatic!
And then....
There it was!
The Aloha Stadium!
It was still drizzling a bit, but we never had the downpour that we were worried about.
The cloudy skies probably made it a more comfortable walk.
The astonishing thing is we didn't need to use the bathroom during the entire race.
There were lots of port-a-potties, but we never used them. We were hoping that would cut our time considerably.
Last year our walk time was
2:48:32.
Art's run time last year was
01:15:36.
This year our walk time was
2:35:55.
We went to collect our Finisher bananas, treats, water, t-shirts, etc.
There was such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. We found our car and headed home where we all took naps.
Yahoo!










Congratulations to both of you! What a great effort! I can imagine how happy you must feel now. Lovely t-shirts!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I am so proud of all of you. David and I are not well enough to walk that far.
ReplyDeletewhat an accomplishment...
ReplyDeleteway to go!!! i love to run in the rain!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to you both! What an accomplishment. And that weather radar map is crazy - looks like rain over all of the islands!
ReplyDeleteWell done guys! Long walk!
ReplyDeleteWay to go. Ya done great. That weather map would have kept me home.
ReplyDeleteYou did it! And even in the rain. Fortunately it wasn't a downpour. I do wish Art would get a second opinion about his running. It seems there must be something he can do to make it possible to keep up his lifelong passion. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou simply continue to amaze me.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! Is Art off running forever or will he be able to work up to it again?
ReplyDeleteHe really wants to get a second opinion because it's supposed to be forever.
DeleteGood job! All that worrying for nothing
ReplyDeleteI bet you slept good that night :-)
About 2 and half hours seems like a good time for a walking pace. I always figured it would take way longer than that. Though when I used to run, about 15-20 minutes for just one mile would seem like eternity.
ReplyDeleteObviously you enjoyed the walk even in the rain. Congrats on the time--good pace. Exercise is fun with other people to take our minds away from things we don't want to think about like rain, and port-a-potties :-)
ReplyDeleteKudos to you Kay. You should be very proud of yourself. I will think of you when I am trying to finish my second mile when I walk today.
ReplyDeleteBravo. I'm so proud of you all.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes! I'm so proud of you all, too!! Kudos indeed! Love you your captures, can really feel the fun and enjoyment!!
ReplyDeleteHooray! Thanks for the pics, and so glad it didn't pour on you. Art's bouncing energy must have helped to cut 13 minutes off of your walk time. That's an excellent time result for Kay's outdoor sleepwalking! Be sure and ask that cautious cardiologist about the short, easy 3-mile jogs that she implied. Glad Art could restrain himself, and we presume no symptoms.
ReplyDeleteDrumMajor
Art is still NOT convinced he has to be all that careful. One of Tif's (our daughter) runner GP doctor friends said she is surprised at the restrictions since he didn't didn't need any surgery.
DeleteKay and Art -- Look back on your older notes and blogs from doc visits. I thought you mentioned that she said easy up-to-3-mile jogs, I think before the angiogram, with no competitive jogging.
DeleteMaybe you just need to reclarify more exactly with her and/or have her write it down. She should also clarify length of time and what kind of activities, if any others, should be diminished, like wearing weighted vests or treadmills. Leave a detailed questionnaire / message for her, or email, asking about exact examples. A second opinion would need all of the original cardiologist's notes, CTs, and stress tests and angiogram results, and any from Illinois to give a good 2nd opinion.
DrumMajor
Congratulations to all of you, Kay! Well done!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations. It must have been a warm drizzle. You are all dressed so lightly! That faster time for you is very good. Keep up the walking and next year you'll be even faster.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!
ReplyDeleteCONGTATS!!!! hugs..
ReplyDeleteGood for you, and I'm so glad you had fun!
ReplyDeleteWay to go! Wear your shirt proudly!
ReplyDeleteYay for all of you!!!
ReplyDeleteGood for you folks!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteALOHA from Honolulu Side
Comfort Spiral
=^..^= <3
You guys are really something! Together!
ReplyDeleteWell done! I bet you all slept well :)
ReplyDelete