Ever since our trip to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Bangladesh in March-April, we've been on the look out for good pho.
Here's description of photo from Wikipedia:
I've been taught that pho is correctly pronounced fah.
After our chocolate lesson in Waikiki we decided to grab lunch in Kapahulu before picking up Mom who we'd dropped off at her sister's house for a very happy visit. Auntie Grace enjoys cooking for Mom and Mom LOVES to eat Auntie Grace's food. Auntie Grace is an amazing cook.
Art discovered Pho Kapahulu on Yelp with our smart phone. It's a very small restaurant, but it had gotten good reviews. Small family restaurants always remind Art of his parents' Sweet Shoppe.
Our friendly waitress and cook, (perhaps owner?) was adorable! She also sells little tubs of very crispy cinnamon toast which we couldn't resist.
And the pho?
Excellent! It really was! We've tried pho at several places and they've never measured up to the ones we had in Vietnam. This did.
This sweet lady asked us to please come back again. We sure will!
Here's description of photo from Wikipedia:
Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of broth, linguine-shaped rice noodles, a few herbs, and meat. Pho is a popular street food in Vietnam and the specialty of a number of restaurant chains around the world. It is primarily served with either beef or chicken. The Hanoi and Saigon styles of pho differ by noodle width, sweetness of broth, and choice of herbs. The origin of pho and its name is a subject of scholarly debate. --Wikipedia
I've been taught that pho is correctly pronounced fah.
After our chocolate lesson in Waikiki we decided to grab lunch in Kapahulu before picking up Mom who we'd dropped off at her sister's house for a very happy visit. Auntie Grace enjoys cooking for Mom and Mom LOVES to eat Auntie Grace's food. Auntie Grace is an amazing cook.
Art discovered Pho Kapahulu on Yelp with our smart phone. It's a very small restaurant, but it had gotten good reviews. Small family restaurants always remind Art of his parents' Sweet Shoppe.
Our friendly waitress and cook, (perhaps owner?) was adorable! She also sells little tubs of very crispy cinnamon toast which we couldn't resist.
And the pho?
Excellent! It really was! We've tried pho at several places and they've never measured up to the ones we had in Vietnam. This did.
This sweet lady asked us to please come back again. We sure will!


Oh, that pho looks delicious! And the two of you look very happy, too. Glad you found the place. :-)
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to find something you have been looking for. It does look delicious.
ReplyDeletewhat a great find!! She is so tiny, what a lovely smile!!!! It was nice for your Mum to have a lovely happy visit!
ReplyDeleteG and I really like Pho too. There's a new place near here that we might try. Just thinking about it is making me hungry.
ReplyDeleteMy granddaughter has traveled to Vietnam. I like to pull her leg. I will say, "Let's go eat some Pho (pronounced FOE)." Then she falls into my trap and says, "It's pronounced FAH." Then I say, "How do you know? Have you ever been in Vietnam." "Yes I have," she triumphantly responds. So, she wins and we're all smiling.
ReplyDeleteBoth of you must be very happy to have found this place to eat nice pho. The sweet lady looks happy too!
ReplyDeleteYour meal looks delicious. I've heard that from others when they have returned from Viet Nam. They are always in search of good pho which they learned to love while they were there. I had a friend many years ago from Viet Nam. As a treat, he would make us pho. It was delicious. I think you found a place you will revisit again and again.
ReplyDeleteNice food but I have not eaten it. Maybe delicious.
ReplyDeleteI love finding secret, fabulous food.
ReplyDeleteyou are so lucky to have found this place. it looks wonderful. i am forever looking for a good pho around here. i have yet to find it. i keep thinking i need to make my own. i certainly have read about it enough!
ReplyDeleteThose are huge bowls! DrumMajor
ReplyDeleteSo glad you found a place that could replicate the taste. Never had it but would like to try. Sadly, I wouldn't know if it were good or bad pho.
ReplyDeleteYum!
ReplyDeleteI love pho, and never pronounce it properly! I love small restaurants too.
ReplyDeletenever knew it was Fah and not Pho
ReplyDeleteIt looks like delicious stuff.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip, Kay!
ReplyDeleteALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>
We have Pho restaurants all over the place here, but we have never eaten it! Maybe we should try it.
ReplyDeleteRon and I loved finding a good Vietnamese restaurant.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy to share your travels. Thank you for all this work.
ReplyDeleteOnly yesterday we were saying we had not been to our favorite pho restaurant in a long time. We discovered pho when we first moved to this area over 20 years ago.
ReplyDelete