Thursday, January 15, 2015

Organizing Fetish

Yes, yes... It's true.  I like things to be in its place.  I feel unsettled when things are undone, unfixed, unorganized.  Is it part of being a control freak?  I want everybody to be happy whether they want to be or not.

Good grief!  Where was I going with this post?  I was really wanting to write about my kitchen drawer.

Art noticed that the drawer organizers were getting cracked.  It's something about the salt air in Hawaii that makes plastic crack.


When we renovated the kitchen 7 years ago, I threw together these old drawer organizers to store our utensils.  It was a mishmosh, but it worked out OK.

We went to Bed, Bath and Beyond with our 20% off coupon (and gift card from my brother and sister-in-law) and bought kitchen drawer organizers.


I like it a whole lot better, but I suspect nobody will notice.

Mom looked at it and said, "I like it the other way better."

Sigh... "Why?" I asked.

"I need the chopsticks for cooking and all kinds of stuff," she insisted.

Sigh...


"OK" she agreed.  "Now it's better."

And now there's just the rest of the house to organize. 

25 comments:

  1. maybe we both have a bit of spring pushing our cleaning and organizing buttons! we have had so little winter that i think i am in a sort of spring mode. i am an organizing freak too. i need everything to be in it's place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new way better, but really you WERE missing the chopsticks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post and I need you at my house, my kitchen drawer looks like your first photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My organizing will take over in the Spring when I get a really big case of Spring fever. I also like things very well organized and put away. I'm not too big on a bit of dust, but I don't like clutter. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have seen two women organize their kitchens in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't look like a fetish to me...looks perfectly normal, now that the chopsticks are in their place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, delightful. Now you have pleased everybody too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's never ending because we are always adding more stuff to our lives daily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your first few lines of this post
    describe me perfectly...
    I am working on giving much away
    and living simpler.
    But
    still too much stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worked with a neat freak once. All the books on her office shelves were perfectly lined up. One day an imp got into me and when I was walking by her office and she wasn't there, I pulled out one book halfway so it was really obviously out of line. When I walked past her office the next time, that book had been pushed back and all was carefully neat again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you. I can't stand a jumble. It's good you could work out a happy solution for knives, forks, and chopsticks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't help noticing how many of those tong things you have! Are you collecting them? Obviously your style of cooking must call for using them frequently, but why so many? There would be more room for chopsticks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use the tongs every night for serving assorted dinner dishes. Then we need a lot for our pot lucks. And we need different sizes for different types of food and barbecuing.

      Delete
  13. You're too funny. I need new drawers period. Some day...some day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got to go with your Mom on this . First think I thought of was 'where are the chopsticks'? Well done, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! You are very observant. We do have chopsticks in other places, but she felt it was necessary to have them here as well.

      Delete
  15. At least she didn't ask for the plastic cutlery to stay in the drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does make one feel better to be organized


    ALOHA from Honolulu-side
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wouldn't use the fetish word but maybe you are particular.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks very nice. I never buy anything without a coupon at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL....both ways stuill looks much better than my "organised" mess

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel better looking at those nice tidy drawers. I have just been in my own. Now I know what I am going to do with my 20 percent off coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too struggle with that.... I love your Mom... I wanted to thank you so much for your comment about the baby. I struggle with the fact that we won't be the grandparents who live across the street, but I see how you manage long distance and it cheers me up.... Ps... My daughter is getting married Friday... Not the order of events that I would have preferred, but my Father told me I was being too old fashioned... Ha ha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow? Oh wow! How exciting, Michelle. Have a wonderful time! Actually, I know quite a few young people who don't even believe in marriage at all. Sigh.

      Delete
  22. That is an interesting opening to a post.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.