We bought our Satsuma tangerine tree in March of 2013 from Home Depot. I chose it because it was full of tangerine blossoms and miniscule fruits. Unfortunately all the flowers fell off and the teeny fruits soon followed after we planted the tree. I read later that growers are able to force young trees to blossom so they will sell.
After two years, the tiny tree has grown. However, we've never seen any indication that it would flower again. I've been pretty darn discouraged.
Our neighbor also bought a small Satsuma tangerine tree that produced five large tangerines. Then a few months later the tree died.
I was figuring we had an ornamental Satsuma.
But this morning Art asked me to step out of the house to see this little surprise.
No kidding!
A tiny, very tiny bud! Will it fall off too?
I don't know.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
POSTSCRIPT:
Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!
I went out to check on the single Satsuma tangerine bud this morning and was stunned to find this tiny branch toward the bottom of the tree with several buds on it. One was blooming!
Wouldn't you think the tree would be smarter and sprout the buds on a bigger branch?
After two years, the tiny tree has grown. However, we've never seen any indication that it would flower again. I've been pretty darn discouraged.
Our neighbor also bought a small Satsuma tangerine tree that produced five large tangerines. Then a few months later the tree died.
I was figuring we had an ornamental Satsuma.
But this morning Art asked me to step out of the house to see this little surprise.
No kidding!
A tiny, very tiny bud! Will it fall off too?
I don't know.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
POSTSCRIPT:
Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!
I went out to check on the single Satsuma tangerine bud this morning and was stunned to find this tiny branch toward the bottom of the tree with several buds on it. One was blooming!
Wouldn't you think the tree would be smarter and sprout the buds on a bigger branch?



I hope your bud sticks around, and invites some more 'buds' too :-)
ReplyDeleteI think its sad for nurseries to force plants for appearance sake , it goes against nature,
ReplyDeleteI will keep my fingers crossed as well for this blossom!
Oh, delightful. You might look up how long it takes for an average tree to blossom. That's still an awfully small tree.
ReplyDeleteWill you keep us informed about the development of the little tree?
ReplyDeleteHave a great week, Kay!
Wil, ABCW Team
Oh yes! I sure will!
DeleteWoo hoo--your sweet little tree is defying the laws of the nurseries and coming into its own.
ReplyDeleteI hope your little tangerine tree suceends this year. Kind of like watching the last male white rhino and praying for a miracle. I had a potted meyer lemon and it lived one year, but died in the cold. I can't wheel anything that big inside anymore.
ReplyDeleteWe do still have a bunch of Meyer lemon trees that Art keeps wanting to turn into bonsai. :- )
Deletedon't loose faith...lol!
ReplyDeleteoh let's hope!
ReplyDeletewow it looks much bigger now
ReplyDeleteYou should fertilize with a citrus fertilizer, looks like you might have a disease or mites the way those leaves are curling, and if you do want large fruit you will have to pick off some the smaller tangerines when they set. I can understand your excitement, though.
ReplyDeleteWe were alerted by the bonsai club that there is some kind of leaf curling caused by aphids or mites. We've seen them and keep trying to get them under control. We read about reducing the amount of fruit on a branch and will do it once we see if the flowers actually turn into fruits that promise to hold on. I'm still holding my breath. We have an ongoing debate with mom about what kind of fertilizer to use. We're using a citrus fertilizer, but she's insisting that 10-30-10 would work best. We'll see.
DeleteWhat a treat!!!!
ReplyDeletei have read that fruit bearing trees take a few years to produce, but i read tabor comment and her advice sounds solid. good luck, it's hard to not be disappointed!!!!
ReplyDeleteMy lime tree took about 8 years to blossom and produce fruit, and it's a great producer. I planted a mangosteen tree that Holly got for me about a year and a half ago. The paperwork says it takes 8 years to produce mangosteens. I hope I'm still alive when that tree bears fruit! I'm such a bad gardener, unlike our Mom was, so the fact that the lime and mangosteen are still alive just surprises me!
ReplyDeleteMangosteens? Is that like a mango? Anything that is like a mango is terrific to us.
DeleteSo happy for you and can't wait to see the fruit! You might at least get one or two tangerines off the tree this year.
ReplyDeleteWow! so pretty! Like a lemon tree, the flowers are so dainty. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! After 2 years it has decided to live at your place. Tangerine tree roots are very aggressive and the branches are very hard. Have fun with your soon-to-be-productive tree!
ReplyDeleteAggressive? I hope they don't hurt the house foundation. I know we planted it too close, but there was no other place to put it.
DeleteThere's no telling about bud brains. Good luck with the bearing of fruit--that is exciting to anticipate.
ReplyDeleteSo your patience and work pays off. Yes, the growers have a few tricks to get us to buy things.
ReplyDeleteWell, that's exciting! And fruitful, I hope!
ReplyDeleteI'm rooting for that satsuma.
ReplyDeleteExciting news......You'll need to let your readers know how this story plays out........How would a citrus fertilizer be different from what your mother is suggesting? Is it acid like Hollytone?
ReplyDeleteYay! I think it's always wonderful to see the little plants outsmart the growers who try to force them to flower. I'm very hopeful that you will have tangerines one day. What a great discovery! Hang in there, little guys. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat is exciting! Good luck, little buds!
ReplyDeleteIt WILL happen. When, we know not. But it's thriving. YAY!
ReplyDelete