Hawaii has had a real problem with people (lots of tourists) who ignore warnings to stay away from dangerous places and to not trespass on private property.
According to the Honolulu Star Advertiser newspaper, last December the island of Kauai's fire rescue teams had to airlift 62 hikers off the same North Shore trail when streams became impassable due to heavy rains. The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) had closed the trail and even stationed a staffer to warn people away. It didn't work. Hikers went anyway.
We often hear on the evening news about tourists and locals as well who ignored warning signs and went hiking on dangerous trails from which they fell to their death or sustained serious injury.
The problem here is that these irresponsible people have been putting our rescue teams at risk. They are also costing many local governments here a lot of money.
So do you think people who ignored clearly marked signs and have to be rescued should pay for the trouble they've caused?
I, for one, do.
According to the Honolulu Star Advertiser newspaper, last December the island of Kauai's fire rescue teams had to airlift 62 hikers off the same North Shore trail when streams became impassable due to heavy rains. The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) had closed the trail and even stationed a staffer to warn people away. It didn't work. Hikers went anyway.
We often hear on the evening news about tourists and locals as well who ignored warning signs and went hiking on dangerous trails from which they fell to their death or sustained serious injury.
The problem here is that these irresponsible people have been putting our rescue teams at risk. They are also costing many local governments here a lot of money.
So do you think people who ignored clearly marked signs and have to be rescued should pay for the trouble they've caused?
I, for one, do.

this happens here all the time too. people try to climb down the side of the mountain rather than take the funicular. we do charge them for the rescue and they get booked too.
ReplyDeleteYes, In other parts of the country you can be charged for helicopters and emergency care, etc. I think if they are trespassing or breaking the law or ignoring closed areas, they should pay.
ReplyDeleteYes. I live in the midst a national park overrun with fools who get rescued from cliffs or whitewater by responders I train and pay with my tax dollars and equipment I fund and replace with my tax dollars. If you're going to dance, be prepared to pay the fiddler.
ReplyDeleteYes, of course they should be rescued, but they should also pay for it if it's off limits. We just had a poor young woman who died when she went into the Ice Caves and they collapsed.
ReplyDeleteI do too. Here, if you call an ambulance to your house in an emergency, you are billed.
ReplyDeleteSounds like I'm in agreement with everyone else (although I feel sorry for the handful of individuals that suffer a true emergency, like an unexpected flash flood that cuts off their exit).
ReplyDeleteI guess that's what the word rescue means-helping others who for what ever reason can't help themselves...
ReplyDeletebut they should pay...
ReplyDeleteMaybe. Perhaps for the chopper.
ReplyDeleteI would probably not charge people if they needed to be rescued through no fault of their own, but if they ignore clearly posted warnings and closures, certainly they should pay something for being rescued.
ReplyDeleteWhile spending our holidays in the Swiss Alps, we witnessed helicopter rescue operations from time to time. Climbers and hikers/tourists are often careless and have bad equipment. When the rescue team, Air Zermatt, is called, they often put themselves into danger in the mountains, whilst trying to save these people. Those rescue operations are expensive and the rescued people have to pay the bill. I think that's only fair.
ReplyDeleteWe have this issue in the UK too. In the winter rescue teams have to go and rescue walkers and climbers caught in snow. Each time I hear it on the news I just think how selfish those joy walkers were. It's not only cost but putting rescuers lives at risk also. Just because they ignored warnings.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you . . . they should pay . . . instead of me and my taxpayer money.
ReplyDeleteA lot of places do charge when it is carelessness that made the rescue necessary. I think they should be charged
ReplyDeleteWashington state charges people who disobey written clearly signs in national parks, why should the park rangers and rescurers risk their lives to rescue people who cannot abide by rules of the terrain..Mt. Hood is close by some yahoos are always needing rescues and the people who rescue them risk their lives to rescue them, why can't people read and heed the signs at trailheads and along mountains..The woman who dies in the ice cave knew the dangers and went into that ice cave, it has been blistering hot in the area and it was melting fast, she was 66 years old hardly a young woman at any stretch of the imagination and left behind many children, then her husband got into an alteracation at a bar in his hometown in California some yahoo followed him out to the parking lot and sucker punched him he hit his dead and died 4 kids without a mother and father, sad so sad..The rescue units on Mt. Hood now charge a whopping amount to risk their lives to save yours if they can get to you, I watch the mountains from many miles away knowing that nature can get you in a an instant and respect it..mary from the 'couv..aloha Kay and Art hoping you are to enjoy a wonderful relaxing weekend we are off to the shore temps to be nearly 100 sat. and sunday! aloha and peace to you both and your Mom too~!
ReplyDeleteThe warning signs just don't apply to some people, obviously--you know, the ones who are entitled to do whatever they want wherever they want because they have superior skills and interests. The humiliation of having to be rescued is punishment enough. (Just kidding.) Cavalier stupidity should have a price.
ReplyDeleteThe prob is that the younger generation loves challenges and then taking selfies to brag. I see it all over FB, one is even my friend's son who had to be rescued off by a Hawaii Kai ridge. He was proud that idiot and took a self of himself on a gurney. I see these dolts taking Go Pro pixs of them doing handstands right near the edge at a hiking place. I see web pages of those who hand climb rocks with no ropes by waterfalls. I don't get it, there are so many of them, from those who are prepared to those who only go in sandals and by themselves. I guess life is cheap or maybe they think they're gonna live forever. For everyone rescued another one dies or is missing. Oh heck yeah, charge them for sure. I don't think they can be humiliated, they take it as a proud badge of I'm such a Bad A**!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comment, but could you identify yourself please? Just a first name or whatever you'd like to call yourself would help me know who you are.
Deletecall me BB
DeleteHello BB! It's so nice to meet you. Thank you for writing! I really appreciate your input.
DeleteI do think they should have to pay if they ignore warnings and then get into trouble. Unbelievably stupid.
ReplyDeleteThe government can fine you over less, so yes
ReplyDeleteYup, they should pay - 10% of their life's financial value since they were rescued and lived to go on with their hopefully better lives. I would even say 50%, but that won't pass mustard, even though they are given another chance to live.
ReplyDeleteSigns would need to be posted, Danger, keep out, enter at your own risk, rescue costs will be assessed if necessary. I would pay if I got rescued.
Not so fast Kay! For some people very definitely they should pay when they disobey the rules. Others may need rescue from no fault of their own. Accidents happen as a result of trails being not kept in good condition. Poor signage. I missed a sign one time that was completely hidden by foliage. We forded the same river three times before we said there's something wrong here. The river was hip deep fast and cold. we did have ropes to use for crossing. We did find our way to the trail after being soaked three times in the river.
ReplyDeleteI do absolutely agree that you shouldn't have to pay if you followed the rules. It's for those people that insist on climbing over fences to private areas and ignoring (many) clearly marked signs that many of us in Hawaii have a problem with.
DeleteUnfortunately these kids love the challenge of going to prohibited places like the Haiku Stairs or to Sacred Falls which are closed for good reason. At the Haiku Stairs they even post guards, but the kids know what their hours are so they sneak in-between them. I think for them, it's bragging rights and that's why they put it all on social media and the majority of rescues are these thrill seeking kids. Now the older folks they are in hiking clubs which rate the hikes, get approval if it's privately owned land, clear the paths as they hike, etc. It's the younger kids who want to go rogue and poorly prepped. BB
DeleteI sure do!
ReplyDeleteOh living near Niagara Falls and parks and water, I feel conflicted as the rescues are risky and many volunteer....
ReplyDeleteMary from Vancouver wrote of problems we have here in Washington State and our Cascade Mountains. I am conflicted about paying for rescue. I guess it depends on how flagrant the rule breaking is. A lot of folks are just not properly prepared to be hiking in wilderness areas.
ReplyDeleteI definitely think they should pay. Whether one can collect or not, of course, is another issue...
ReplyDeleteI agree. Anyone who willfully disobeys should pay for their own rescue and be fined besides. Rescue personnel should not have to risk their own lives for people who choose to gamble with theirs, and if they do, it should not be at the taxpayers' expense.
ReplyDeleteSure, have those in violation of the rules pay.
ReplyDeleteI think young Israelis always buy search and rescue insurance when they go trekking in Nepal and such places.
Oh yes, people who ignore signs should pay for the consequences of their actions. Perhaps the parks should post a notice in the trail maps that there will be a $$ penalty imposed in the event of one failing to follow park rules that results in a rescue.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter says when they were camping in the Rockies recently, a neighboring camper left without killing their campfire and it set one of her family tents on fire. Idiots.... Connie says they were able to kill the fire before it set the very dry forest on fire.
I feel the same way about pople who build houses in stupid places like the East Coast barrier islands or in the Smokey mountains in NC.
Annually, we taxpayers pay for "rescues" from areas hit by hurricanes, winter storms, flood areas, land slides, fires.
Yes, I think that those people who break the rules (do not pay attention to warnings) should have to pay. Maybe a disclaimer notice stating that you will be fined if you fail to heed warnings should be prominently displayed somewhere.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a Happy Sunday, Kay!
I can't really give a yes or no answer. There have always been those whom will disregard the signs. I think the best way to discourage such behavior is to post that fines are imposed for breaking the rules. We have those in place in the Garden of the Gods for rock climbers. That probably stops a few, but not as many as it should.
ReplyDeleteWhy we have to pay for those idiots break the rule and not respect nature with our tax payers money? At least they should buy lunch for all the rescuers...right? Just kidding.
ReplyDelete