Friday, September 25, 2015

Saying Good Bye to the Papaya Tree

This papaya tree has given us many fruits over the last couple of years but lately the fruits have been small and paltry. It was time to say goodbye.


It was also dangerous to try to pick the fruit. Art had tied the tree to the side of our house so it wouldn't damage our neighbor's fence during a strong wind.


He removed the wire first and then cut the top off. Then I got to pull the trunk down. We've learned to always leave enough of the trunk of trees to give you sufficient leverage to pull down a tree.


Clean up was quick and now Art is asking, "What shall we plant next?"

28 comments:

  1. I didn't realize those trees grew so tall. Quite a project to cut it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow a job well done...we cute some trees down but the remaining base is still alive, sigh, it is sprouting leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As easy as you make it look, that still requires some skill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a bit sad when papayas are done.
    I vote for planting another fruit tree! Lychee? Longan? Avocado?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The papaya was very interesting and I have never seen it in natural environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe I have ever even tasted a papaya. I am impressed at you tree felling skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tall, skinny tree seemed just right for your spot. How about just starting over?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since it is so close to the house, another papaya tree would be nice, though it will take years for first fruit. I bought a couple of trees from Koolau Farms because they bear low fruit, it is called X-77 and I was assured it wasn't GMO by the sales clerk. It grow kinda coocoo sometimes, getting all snarled up at the top like a big twisted knot. The fruit is big but not as sweet as solo papayas. A couple of trees just started growing in our front yard from birds. One was super sweet with reddish flesh and no seeds.

    Let me know if you want to try a miniature plumeria tree. A friend gave me several stalks that I stuck in pots. I am looking forward to the flowers so I can string up mini plumeria leis one day. I also have potted kukui trees if you want.

    It is such a nice dilemma to be in - getting to choose what to plant in a new space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your offer, but what Art is really hoping to find some day is a miniature Hayden mango tree. He's probably wanting to turn a mango tree into an in-ground bonsai plant. Your papaya tree sounds like it has a mind of its own. You must have a big yard. We have a next to nothing yard.

      Delete
    2. A bonsai mango tree would be fantastic! I would think that it would need to have its roots contained somehow but the bonsai club would know better. My family used to get all huuhuu (mad) because I would constantly trim our mango tree in a bonsai bowl shape, so it didn't bear much fruit - until this year.
      Our yard isn't that big since we extended the house in the '90s. In the front, we took advantage of not having sidewalks in our neighborhood by planting far outside of our property line.
      If I see a potential mini Hayden (usually it is air layered or grafted) tree, I will let you know.

      Delete
  9. That was fast! Glad to know it all went as planned! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe how tall it was

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're quite the loggers!!! Plant another papaya. Just don't plant a spruce tree . I hate them. The probably wouldn't grow in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to stop by and say Hello! Met Art in person today and he can tell you where. I've enjoyed reading your blog for years and please contiune to write Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! It's so wonderful to meet you. Art did mention that you've been reading my blog. I'm very touched by your kind words. We have met the nicest people through my blog. I hope you'll continue to leave a comment and share your thoughts as well. I can still hardly believe that someone he met through Meals on Wheels would be coincidentally also be reading my blog. This is so much fun!

      Delete
  13. I have no idea what would grow best there. If you want a tree, do you have an orange or maybe banana? Since we don't grow those, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blessings.....
    The circle of life, all things will life will eventually come to an end.
    The possibilities of what to plant next is endless, it comes down to what both you and Art desires most.

    Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lived in the Philippine Islands when I was very young and we had a papaya tree as well as bananas and mango. Why not plant a mango tree?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kay, I had no idea Papaya trees were that tall!! Can't wait to see what you planted there next!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't believe how tall it got. I'd suggest something shorter and easier to handle, maybe a dwarf variety of a fruit you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, it was so tall and was it hollow?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun post. I never wondered about papaya trees as most of the ones I see were small. Did you say how old this tree was?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job! Did you already decide which plant to plant on the newly vacant spot? A few years ago, a tree in our back yard is getting too tall and need to cut it down so we ask arbor expert for price. His estimate was $400 and plus to remove the roots (total of about $600)...yikes, right? The following weekend, my husband with borrowed chainsaw from neighbor started climbing the tree...I was so nervous...anyway, he was OK. For next time, I will hire someone.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Art works so hard!!!! I planted two apple trees last week. It feels good!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.