We have the ongoing saga of our tablecloth problem. Our first tablecloth was too light colored and got stained from Art reading the newspaper on the kitchen table each morning.
We bought a darker colored laminated tablecloth which would hide stains better, but mom didn't like it because it darkened the kitchen. I added the placemats which mom loved so it seemed the problem was fixed.
Nope!
When we went downstairs one evening there were a bunch of cockroaches on the table. Was it because the dark color made them think it was a good place to hide? We turned the table over to check for holes or crevices where cockroaches might want to hide. Sure enough, there were a whole bunch of screw holes which I caulked shut.
We wondered if the weave of the tablecloth might be accumulating food particles.
We considered not using a tablecloth at all, but the crevices for the table extensions would be trapping even larger food particles.
I looked online for a solution and found this plastic, heavy duty tablecloth for about $15 at Amazon. It's worked out great so far. Art reading the newspaper at the table can't stain the tablecloth! And
we never see cockroaches on the table anymore.
So where are they?
We bought a darker colored laminated tablecloth which would hide stains better, but mom didn't like it because it darkened the kitchen. I added the placemats which mom loved so it seemed the problem was fixed.
Nope!
When we went downstairs one evening there were a bunch of cockroaches on the table. Was it because the dark color made them think it was a good place to hide? We turned the table over to check for holes or crevices where cockroaches might want to hide. Sure enough, there were a whole bunch of screw holes which I caulked shut.
We wondered if the weave of the tablecloth might be accumulating food particles.
We considered not using a tablecloth at all, but the crevices for the table extensions would be trapping even larger food particles.
I looked online for a solution and found this plastic, heavy duty tablecloth for about $15 at Amazon. It's worked out great so far. Art reading the newspaper at the table can't stain the tablecloth! And
we never see cockroaches on the table anymore.
So where are they?

You should import some geckos or lizards into your home. They love to eat roach eggs and tiny baby roaches. We do not have a roach problem at all.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing you might consider is buying sink drain filter cups from Longs. Place the filter cups in your sink instead of using the drain plunger. The filter cups prevent roaches from coming up from the sewer.
I already have those wire screens on all our sinks. Mom would freak if I brought geckos into the house. She doesn't mind spiders, but for some reason she doesn't like geckos or lizards. Right now I don't see the roaches anymore, but I keep thinking they're hiding somewhere.
DeleteWe have ants every spring! My daughter is pestered by earwigs. My mom, when she was dying, had moths. When we moved in they ate all my hubby's suits. Fortunately, he'd retired...
DeleteGood luck with this.
We have coloured, cotton tablecloths for different seasons, but they do attract the cat fur. Of course, the cats aren't allowed on the table. That's the rule, but they don't follow rules! :-)
Glad your cousin visited! Does she blog, too?!
Hi Jenn! No, Lorna doesn't write a blog as far as I know. I don't think she would have the time. She's a brilliant woman and I'm always grateful when she makes the time to visit.
DeleteThey love to nest/lay eggs in linens so check your stack of linens well. I used to sneak up on them at night with a fly swatter. Gross but it works. Especially those B-52 humongous ones, yuck!
ReplyDeleteA big gecko is in our house and I am trying to get it out. Perhaps it helps by eating bugs and such, but it leaves poop on the table, on art, etc.
Roaches also seem to like summer the best, so they may be hibernating until it gets hot.
Good luck! You are winning the battle!
Dang roaches. We'll never be able to totally eliminate them. Too resilient and too prolific. And they are soooo disgusting.
ReplyDeleteOnly good thing is that these roaches were the German type and not American B-52s. Those freak me out. Those are so huge and they fly if you scare them.
DeleteThat seems like a great solution Kay.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting how the roaches showed up like that. I think plastic works on the table quite well. I've seen beautiful prints on heavy plastic meant just for this purpose when I've gone to the fabric stores. They are usually in big bolts against the wall and you cut to size. That way is more colourful and cherry if you like. Instead of a roach issue I've had an issue with the bugs and moths in the flour and dried goods. I seem to have gotten rid of the weavils but a few moths still fly around. I'm thinking of getting the sticky tape to catch those ones. I only saw it for the first time in a local store the other day.
ReplyDeleteAs for me I use cloth but they are usually printed with a pattern. I have a few different colours to coordinate things. Enjoyed the rainbow in your header.
I haven't seen those at the fabric stores I've been to, but I'll check when I'm on the mainland. Thank you for the tip.
DeleteWe have the same problem with bugs in flour like food products. This is why lots of people in Hawaii have two refrigerators to store those things.
I just have gotten to the point that I just cannot tolerate having plastic on the table. I make my own runners and mats and do the same for my children and their homes. I think it comes from my mother leaving the plastic on all furniture so as not to ruin it....weird!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have roaches in Colorado. Not in the mountains anyway. We have enough flies and chipmunks to make up for it, tho.
I'm sure I don't need to live in Hawaii. At times I get tired of the rain in the Pacific Northwest but it's cool enough I don't have a bug problem. I really don't like cockroaches.
ReplyDeleteI could have written the post from Linda above. Yep, no cockroaches but lots of rain in the winter and spring. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'd hate to have your problem. I hope that you get rid of these critters.
ReplyDeleteGlad you have a solution! Sheesh.
ReplyDeleteYour new tablecloth is perfect... I LOVE those placemats...
ReplyDeleteGood Luck with the roaches... They are probably LURKING around somewhere... YUK.
Hugs,
Betsy
As with Linda and DJan above, now cockroaches here, just spiders ans mosquitoes. Looks like you have found a solution that works. It's hard when you have to be that careful about crumbs.
ReplyDeleteI like seeing the natural wood through the table cloth!
ReplyDeleteApparently they don't like the transparency. This has been fun to read.
ReplyDeleteGlad to have found your blog.
Tablecloths are challenging indeed. Right now I've settled for a light pink one, but I think I will change it up again soon. I love the see through one!
ReplyDeleteRight now roaches are not a problem but we are having trouble with camel crickets. They mainly accumulate in the ground floor bathroom. At least they don't appear on the dinner table. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteHmmm. I did no know this about cloth on a table. Something else to watch out for now...
ReplyDeletelooks to be a good solution!! i just hope they are gone and not hiding somewhere else!! the table looks pretty!!!
ReplyDeleteOur roaches have disappeared in the winter rains, and I hope they stay out of sight. I know they are still there as I see them when I work in the yard, but I don't want them in the house. With plenty of water outside, they may just do so.
ReplyDeleteAh the wonderful tropics. Roaches are God's way of keeping the tropics from being perfect. Sure don't miss them here in the Ozarks. I would think removing the place for them to hide was the trick. They are bashful and don't like the light. Well done.
ReplyDeleteblessings....
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest plain clear plastic and saw that you hit upon it via amazon.
peace.
Rhapsody
http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/
https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
https://www.goodreads.com/rhapsodyphoenix
http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
http://pinterest.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix
https://www.instagram.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
http://rhapsodyphoenix.tumblr.com/
“The highest education is that which does not merely give us information, but makes our life in harmony with all existence”-Rabindranath Tagore
I have roaches - yes PLURAL - living in the timer of the micro. Hhhmmm...how long do I micro stuff, 30 seconds and a roach or 1 minute and two roaches. Don't know how to get the infernal things out so all I can do is just tap on the window and they just split for now. They also use to live in my inkjet. One time I printed and got an actual 3-D of flattened roach come out with the paper. They were no where else except in the printer. And that's why they will all still be living when the nukes all drop and destroy mankind. BB
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! This is so funny! I was reading your comment in the car and burst out laughing. If you wrote this in pidgin, you could be Andy Bumatai.
DeleteIn the ink jet? This is like the "buggah" I wen go write about in my udda post. (OK... See, I'm writing like Andy now.)
So far, so good. No cockroaches. I have a cat and she loves them. When I have seen one, she plays with it awhile and then eats it. I have only seen two or three since I've lived in this apartment...thee years now.
DeleteThose German roaches would be too fast for cats, I'm afraid. American cockroaches on the other hand, cats would have fun with.
DeleteWe had a cockroach problem about 40 years ago, and my wife still hasn't gotten over it. We still put cardboard boxes like cereal container inside plastic bags in the cupboard because we were told they can come into the house on/in those.
ReplyDeleteYou haven't had roaches in 40 years? Oh woooow! You are so lucky!
DeleteGoodness, I would scream the house down if I woke up and found roaches everywhere. I hate them with a passion, and I don't hate much. Great solution.
ReplyDeleteDid you kill the whole bunch of cockroaches that you found on the table? I dislike cockroaches and we get those that can fly here.
ReplyDeleteA couple of those roaches probably got away from us because the German roaches are super speedy. We got the slow ones. Uh oh... natural selection. We might be creating faster cockroaches.
DeleteWe have the American cockroaches also outside the house (most of the time) that are HUGE and do fly. They are the ones we call B-52s.)
They're at my house. In Texas we have tree roaches. Big ones. They come in looking for water so when it does not rain for the long periods we are experiencing lately, they like to run on my counter tops. I don't know for certain how they get in other than there seems to be a whole bunch of them making a run for the house when I open the garage door. Rather unnerving they are. Glad yours are gone.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for visiting, Julie. I'm so glad you stopped by because it led me to your wonderful blog. I guess you Texans are also putting up the good fight against those critters.
DeleteThat would freak me out .... But I like insects
ReplyDeleteI just bought the heavy duty plastic cover from our Walmart. They sell different thickness on bolts.
ReplyDelete