Friday, June 24, 2016

Mystery Cactus Solved

A few years before my Auntie Grace passed away, she gave my mother a small cactus plant that grew into what looked almost like a cactus vine growing up her garage. We planted it in our small garden where it just didn't seem to be happy. There were several times that we considered pulling it out because it didn't look alive anymore.

And then one day last year we decided to have my cousin, Arnold over for dinner. Auntie Grace had passed away and we wanted to let him know we were thinking about him.

To our utter and complete astonishment, that rather ungainly cactus suddenly produced an incredibly gorgeous gigantic flower. We didn't even know there was a bud!

We were convinced that it was Auntie Grace wanting to send a little love to her son.

Well, another flower bloomed this year.

Now we were curious to know what kind of flower this was.


I used the Like That Garden app on my iPhone (It was free). If you click on this link you can find the app for iPhones or Androids.

So there you have it!

It's a Climbing Cactus!

I know Auntie Grace is smiling.

24 comments:

  1. You flora and fauns are so different, at least the ones in the garden. Your cactus looks like my orchid cactus, can't plant it outdoors, though!!! :-)
    We've been busy having a guest. Now I know how busy you've been! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that bloom is beautiful. i'm sure Auntie Grace is smiling down on you and yours. thanks for sharing the link to the app. i have it saved to my wishlist for when i get another google play gift card. don't have enough money left in my account to purchase just yet. happy weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have said orchid cactus, too. The blossom is identical to my orchid cactus blossoms. Lovely, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I got the idea for that app from you and have actually used it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how pretty...and a nice remembrance

    ReplyDelete
  6. You folks are growing greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. both my mother and I have slightly different strains of these. We and our other local friends call them day blooming cereus as opposed to night blooming cereus (the ones that grow all around Punahou)
    they are all so beautiful!
    v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had only one bloom this time. The other three buds fell off. I don't know why.
      The night blooming ones grow up on Tantalus too, right?

      Delete
  8. How wonderful! And to be able to find out what kind it is through your phone app, well it's just a brand new world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would think it's a wonderful sign too! How beautiful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful, just like your memories of your aunt.
    We have tried that app, but it usually gets the plant wrong. Yours is striking enough not to be confused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is most certainly Auntie Grace sending love! What a gorgeous flower, that color is beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cactus blooms are always attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The app you told us about is such a good one! I showed it to one of the people at Koolau
    Farms (I had a weed that I wanted to identify and nobody knew, including the app). Even though that weed wasn't in the app's database, the Koolau Farms lady was so impressed with it that she instantly downloaded it on her phone and started taking some pictures of the plants in the shop. She was very thankful, and so am I. Thanks, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have one of those! I hope it blooms some day. Its singular trait is that it is almost impossible to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The wonders of technology these days :) how awesome that an app solved the mystery.

    Wishing you a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet a message from Auntie Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a very gorgeous plant. I'm sure your Auntie Gracie is proud!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely story and yes, it must have been her message. Gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awwww, precious memories! So so sweet, I love the story, Kay. Thanks for the day-brightener. This is just the kind of inspiration I needed today. OH, and the flower is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very informative. I had no idea climbing cactii existed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. PS and miracles do happen!

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.