Monday, September 19, 2016

Butterflies on the East Coast

I just wanted to share with you some butterflies we saw while traveling through the East Coast. I never see swallowtails in Hawaii and there was a whole bunch of them loving the coneflowers in this garden.

I didn't know there were different kinds of swallowtail butterflies, but these were just gorgeous.

Sigh...

I'm not seeing a lot of butterflies in Hawaii these days.

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful - I love the Spicebush Swallowtail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shots, coneflowers do well in my area, they are very drought tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely. I would have thought Hawaii would have plenty, with the lush greenery. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love butterflies! We have a couple that are buttery yellow living around our home this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that blue one. WOW. Did you see the photo of Tabor's pre butterfly's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My butterflies this year have been gorgeous. I will do a post on my other blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have these in northeast Ohio and I really love them! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing these nice shots, and the sad news from Hawaii butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think i've seen a butterfly recently...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would think Hawaii would be butterfly heaven. Maybe they are making a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love butterflies. Our neighbors have lots of crown flower bushes so we have them flying around - a lot more albino monarchs nowadays, I wonder why?

    I just bought a butterfly bush plant from a plant sale. Butterflies are also attracted to the flowers, which have a nice sweet smell. However, a dang bulbo bird perches nearby so he can swoop down and attack if a butterfly hovers to eat. I saw one snatch an orange monarch and then demolish it, so I keep looking out to shoo the birds away.

    I also make sure to not spray my flowering plants with insecticides that might harm the bees and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great butterfly photos. You've got to be patient to get a butterfly photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! Here we have Western Swallowtails.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pics of the swallowtails Kay. I have been enjoying them this summer

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only see real tiny ones around here. I blame pesticides

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't seem to see many butterflies these days.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.