I've been boxing my old photos that I'd already scanned and noticed something interesting.
Here are the photos from 1975 when our daughter was born. All the photos had turned this sepia color.
Luckily, my Epson Perfection V500 scanner has a color correction.
It's like magic!
1977 photos had turned brown also. My brother did warn me then to make sure I took some black and white photos. I did, but I mostly shot color film.
Luckily, the scanner worked again.
Around 1981 or 82, things changed. No more yellowed, brownish photos. I wondered why and checked online. One explanation is that companies changed the chemical they used.
All I can say is thank goodness for magical scanners!
Here are the photos from 1975 when our daughter was born. All the photos had turned this sepia color.
Luckily, my Epson Perfection V500 scanner has a color correction.
It's like magic!
1977 photos had turned brown also. My brother did warn me then to make sure I took some black and white photos. I did, but I mostly shot color film.
Luckily, the scanner worked again.
Around 1981 or 82, things changed. No more yellowed, brownish photos. I wondered why and checked online. One explanation is that companies changed the chemical they used.
All I can say is thank goodness for magical scanners!





Thank you for mentioning the color corrector on your scanner. I have many photos that have changed to that sepia color, but hadn't thought about scanning them and color correcting. That is something I need to do for many of our family pictures. The way they our older photos have yellowed over time makes me wonder about the length of time that the images will even be visible on them.
ReplyDeleteYour scanner did a great job. I'm really impressed. I have always chosen to do it later in software, but these results are superb.
ReplyDeleteThe algorithms in those scanners, to figure it all out, are awesome.
ReplyDeleteInteresting info Kay.
ReplyDeleteWow! That is awesome! I will have to go through all my photos now - I have motivation to open all of those old boxes! Annster's Domain
ReplyDeletegood discovery, we are about to go scan my hubby's old slides and will need to do some color correction also...
ReplyDeleteUnlike your brave decision, I decided to leave all the pictures in the albums. This way they get too see my mother's handwriting in the notes and mine too.
ReplyDeleteI would do the same thing if I were you. We didn't have many words in our albums.
DeleteInteresting!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is incredible. So glad the technology is now available to save old photos.
ReplyDeleteOh , I have to start scanning my slides.
ReplyDeleteTiff was the cutest little baby, wasn't she? Looking at old photos makes me long for the days when I could still carry Matt and decide what he would be wearing.
ReplyDeleteTif really was a darn cute baby. Everybody wanted to carry her. People would stop by at restaurants and smile at her. She's a sweet mother now herself.
DeleteI did not know scanners could correct that tonal thing. I have done some in Photoshop E, but many of my photos are also slides which do not fade a fast.
ReplyDeleteA monumental task. Good work.
ReplyDeleteProbably had some kind of solvent in those photos back in the day. I know solvent based chemicals like to discolor and yellow.
ReplyDeleteThe results of that scanner are impressive!
ReplyDeleteGeez, maybe I have to get that scanner! All my wedding photos turned sepia. I had taken one of them to a digital processor in town and when I got the pictures back, it was greenish. I told him that it was too green and he said that was what my skin tone looked like. How rude, yeah? He had to re-do for me but he wasn't very happy.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a difference the color correction makes! I am very impressed, Kay. :-)
ReplyDeleteThe scanner that you have really works wonders.
ReplyDeleteGosh, everyone is so cute! Glad to know scanners can do that nice of corrections. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDelete