We love blueberries. Art's favorite pie is blueberry and I've often made blueberry muffins. When the children were little, we used to go to Indiana with friends to pick them.
Here, our friend Don was giving Tiffany a boost to reach berries on one of the tall branches. I'd always thought all blueberries grew on tall bushes. I wished we could grow them in Illinois, but I guess we didn't have the climate or soil or whatever to allow them to flourish.
In 1999, our nephews arrived from Hawaii for a month long visit. We took them to the East Coast and stopped at Acadia National Park in Maine. While climbing a hill people were coming down with buckets of wild blueberries. They told us there were tons of blueberries up ahead and that we should pick some.
We kept looking for the tall bushes we were used to in Indiana and didn't look down. What a shock to learn that in Acadia, the bushes are very short and the berries smaller and sweeter. In fact, Maine's state fruit is the wild blueberry.
Darn!
You know I'm now wanting to go back there some August and look for some.
Here, our friend Don was giving Tiffany a boost to reach berries on one of the tall branches. I'd always thought all blueberries grew on tall bushes. I wished we could grow them in Illinois, but I guess we didn't have the climate or soil or whatever to allow them to flourish.
In 1999, our nephews arrived from Hawaii for a month long visit. We took them to the East Coast and stopped at Acadia National Park in Maine. While climbing a hill people were coming down with buckets of wild blueberries. They told us there were tons of blueberries up ahead and that we should pick some.
We kept looking for the tall bushes we were used to in Indiana and didn't look down. What a shock to learn that in Acadia, the bushes are very short and the berries smaller and sweeter. In fact, Maine's state fruit is the wild blueberry.
Darn!
You know I'm now wanting to go back there some August and look for some.


Oh imagine that lol , and I would be looking towards the ground , only low bush blueberries here lol, beautiful photos and the Berries are so big!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely experience!
ReplyDeletei used to love to buy bags of them from people selling them along the roadside in new england.
ReplyDeleteYUM to fresh blueberries! I have never picked my own - how awesome! Annster's Domain
ReplyDeleteWe have a neighbor who grows blueberries and charges you for a bucket then you pick your own.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the smile. I bet you can order those blueberries there where you live.
ReplyDeleteI like those photos and am keeping an expectant eye on the berries on three blueberry bushes I planted several years ago, three different varieties. Love 'em. I live in California.
ReplyDeleteI've picked raspberries from a huge old patch in North Dakota from a mother-in-law's farm. Get a belt and put the bucket handle through it, strap it on your tummy and pick even more quickly using two hands. We'd freeze those precious raspberries to bring home to KC. Those bushes were from thornless plants, so it was a very pleasant experience. Found such plants from Earl May years ago. Blueberries in KC Sam's Clubs are from Mexico or now, Costa Rica. Wonder how they'd grow in Hawaii? Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteI couldn’t grow blueberries in Illinois but I did have raspberries.
Deletethere were lots of blueberries in iceland growing wild on the ground in bushes...
ReplyDeleteA onetime blogger from the south once posted how she’d trick Canadians by saying the blueberries were ripe and would get quite a chuckle when they looked down instead of up.
ReplyDeleteThe wild blueberries in the mountains around here are also low to the ground. Small, sweet and delicious! :-)
ReplyDeleteBlueberries are a treat!
ReplyDeleteI'm assuming you're the individual who filed a complaint with Blogger help about the Mumbai spammer. I put in a comment over there, but Blogger help really isn't much help.
Hi William,
DeleteIt’s so nice to meet you. Yes, I’m the one who asked for blogger help and it did not help at all! It’s so aggravating.
Many places in the Arctic are covered with a thick carpet of blueberries which are only 3 or 4 in high. It's hard picking but they pick many.
ReplyDeleteHere in the PNW we grow fields of blueberries commercially. We also have wild huckleberries on our mountain hillsides. Some people call them blueberries, and they are similar but a different species. They are low bush to medium bush to high bush. Huckleberries are especially tasty.
ReplyDeleteI buy domestic frozen blueberries by the bags full, and have them everyday with my yogurt.
I almost forgot that Maine was rich in blueberries.
ReplyDeleteI like blueberries, too, but never saw them growing in Ohio when I lived there or in Maine when we visited there. I have picked lots of wild blackberries I’ve enjoyed eating, too.
ReplyDelete