Yes, yes, I know it's my civic duty, BUT... I do dread getting these notices for jury duty. When I got my notice to serve in a criminal court in Chicago, I was still teaching. I had to get lesson plans done for a substitute teacher to take my place. On the day of the jury selection I brought all my papers to correct as well as notes for lesson planning since I knew there would be a long wait time.
I spent half a day at a court on the south side of Chicago and actually got a lot of school work done. I went home with about $25 (don't quote me on this), I think, which I turned in to our school district.
When I got this jury summons again in Hawaii, I was not thrilled.
I was to appear on a Monday.
Instructions said I had to call on the previous Friday between 6:30 - 7:00 PM to see if I would have to show up.
Most of my friends told me not to worry because chances were pretty good a recording would say the case had been resolved and I wouldn't have to do anything.
On Friday, at 5:00 PM. I was surprised to get an automated call. It said I was come in on Monday by 8:00 AM. The call also informed me that I was to call in on Sunday at 5:00 PM for further instructions.
I called on Sunday and got the same recording that said I was to show up by 8:00 at the Federal Court in Honolulu.
Why was I nervous, apprehensive, looking for excuses not to serve? Art would have to drive me in since I don't drive. Doctors appointments and auto safety checks would have to be cancelled if I was selected to be on the jury.
I'd talked to friends earlier who all had pretty much the same advice:
1. Bring a jacket. Wear long pants.
2. Bring: ID, summons letter, snacks, water, a regular paper book in case they don't allow Kindles, crossword puzzles, iPad, calendar of appointments, etc.
3. Be prepared for parking difficulties. Save receipts from parking for reimbursement. (Not a problem since Art would be driving me.
4. Enjoy the new experience for it would be interesting. (And it was.)
On Sunday night, I was in a dither getting more nervous as I prepared what to bring.
I started out with a small T-Mobile backpack I'd gotten earlier this summer for free.
However, as I got more advice from friends, I added to my collection and moved on to a bigger green bag I got from the Morton Arboretum.
By the end of the night, I'd transferred everything yet again to another even bigger backpack that I use for traveling so I could include books, glasses, medication, back-up power supply, notebook, etc. It was HEAVY!
I considered bringing a rolling carry-on... but didn't.
What the heck! I was ready!
I spent half a day at a court on the south side of Chicago and actually got a lot of school work done. I went home with about $25 (don't quote me on this), I think, which I turned in to our school district.
When I got this jury summons again in Hawaii, I was not thrilled.
I was to appear on a Monday.
Instructions said I had to call on the previous Friday between 6:30 - 7:00 PM to see if I would have to show up.
Most of my friends told me not to worry because chances were pretty good a recording would say the case had been resolved and I wouldn't have to do anything.
On Friday, at 5:00 PM. I was surprised to get an automated call. It said I was come in on Monday by 8:00 AM. The call also informed me that I was to call in on Sunday at 5:00 PM for further instructions.
I called on Sunday and got the same recording that said I was to show up by 8:00 at the Federal Court in Honolulu.
Why was I nervous, apprehensive, looking for excuses not to serve? Art would have to drive me in since I don't drive. Doctors appointments and auto safety checks would have to be cancelled if I was selected to be on the jury.
I'd talked to friends earlier who all had pretty much the same advice:
1. Bring a jacket. Wear long pants.
2. Bring: ID, summons letter, snacks, water, a regular paper book in case they don't allow Kindles, crossword puzzles, iPad, calendar of appointments, etc.
3. Be prepared for parking difficulties. Save receipts from parking for reimbursement. (Not a problem since Art would be driving me.
4. Enjoy the new experience for it would be interesting. (And it was.)
On Sunday night, I was in a dither getting more nervous as I prepared what to bring.
I started out with a small T-Mobile backpack I'd gotten earlier this summer for free.
However, as I got more advice from friends, I added to my collection and moved on to a bigger green bag I got from the Morton Arboretum.
By the end of the night, I'd transferred everything yet again to another even bigger backpack that I use for traveling so I could include books, glasses, medication, back-up power supply, notebook, etc. It was HEAVY!
I considered bringing a rolling carry-on... but didn't.
What the heck! I was ready!


I tell them I am over 70 and they exempt me. I live in PA.
ReplyDeleteThis is a teaser! Trial of the century or where you just sent home? I can't wait to hear.
ReplyDeleteOh my what a lot of stuff. Last time I was called I too was still teaching. Took papers to grade. Rather than accepting the payment donated it to some charity for kids. Only once have I actually served on a jury and it was a civil case. A slip and fall suit which we concluded was not caused by the store. Haven't been called now for many years.
ReplyDeleteOh dear, but you are well prepared, all the best Kay!
ReplyDeletewaiting for the next chapter...lol!
ReplyDeleteYou sound like me!!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the next chapter of the story.
ReplyDeleteA few months ago my son was called for Grand Jury duty. This last two months and they were paid $20.00 a day. But he found it very educational.
ReplyDeleteWow are you prepared. Didn't realize Kindles might be forbidden. You almost need a porter to carry all your stuff:)) Hope if you served you got a really interesting case or if not you got to go home early.
ReplyDeleteKids have backpacks with wheels now. LOL Yup, you can have fun with all those things. :)
ReplyDeleteHope they let you IN with the enlarging backpack. Never been called to jury duty. Wouldn't mind. But they might think an old cardiac, oncology, hospice nurse could be pretty biased.....Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteThe security was incredible! I have documented my experience all the way until Thursday. It really was very interesting.
DeleteI was on a jury once and have been called up a few times without actually having to serve. I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you. At least you're prepared! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou are well prepared - I'm now looking forward to the next chapter of the story.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
I haven't had to do it yet, fingers crossed.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I'll just scream "I hope the bastard hangs!"
And then ....the rest of the story.
ReplyDeleteI have been called many times, have served several times, and rejected other times. The last time I was called, earlier this year, as the day approached, I took a fall in the yard and my backside hurt, so I emailed the clerk of the court, said I was 74 years old, had taken a fall and sitting for long periods of time was going to be very uncomfortable. I was dismissed.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHope it's not too burdensome. Thank you for your service
ReplyDeleteYou're a good citizen. I'm looking forward to hearing whatever you will divulge.
ReplyDeleteOkay I'm interested in what happens next. My daughter got called for jury duty in Chicago not long after she got her American citizenship.
ReplyDeleteIn Louisiana, you can be excused if you are over 70 so my husband asked to be excused when he got a notice for jury duty for federal court this week. He said he would have a hard time sitting still all day--not a function of age, I might add. Also, you can't read a book unless you are just waiting. Once they start culling jurors, you have to sit up and listen to the attorneys question all the perspective jurors.
ReplyDeleteYou have to be 80 to be excused in Hawaii. Perhaps it's because we have more seniors in this state. Thank you for your comment, Teresa. I just peeked in on your blog and found your description of Mardi Gras so very interesting.
DeleteHi Kay,
ReplyDeleteIt was great meeting you at the courthouse as a prospective juror. After they called my name, I had to reschedule two medical appointments. Had I known the trial was going to end sooner than expected, I could have kept my second appointment. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the experience of how organized the courtroom was run. For me, it was really nice having lunch with you and we both happen to have granola bars (and flask) as we ate and chatted. I really enjoyed your blog and photos that tell the story.
Judy
Hi Judy,
DeleteIt's so wonderful to hear from you. You really made the experience that much more fun. The next three posts will be about the rest of our day. Thank you for giving me the update as well.
Kay
I was once called at a very inconvenient time for us, and the court was a rural half hour away. I was excused near the end of the process. Thankfully.
ReplyDeleteThat's preparation!
ReplyDelete