Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Being Safe

Yes, seniors in Hawaii tend to be very vulnerable in their kind heartedness. I know that mom let a strange woman into the house a long time ago because the woman said she was pregnant and needed to use the bathroom. Mom let her in. I was horrified. It's a common ploy to stake out a place for robbery.

This is why we installed a rather hard to open screen door so that if she opens the front door, she'll have time to think before opening the screen door to let anyone in.

On another one of Art's walks with his buddies, he saw a scruffy looking fellow with no shirt on ride up on a bicycle to a couple of elderly ladies who were getting ready to go into McDonalds. The biker apparently asked them for money. One of the women took out her wallet to hand him a bill.

This had all the earmarks of what could have been a very dangerous thing for the ladies to do.

It reminded me of a time when I was leaving the dentist's office in Chicago when my daughter called on my cellphone. I was talking to her as I walked down the street to my car.

While going into my car a man on a bicycle stopped me and asked if I could give him some money. My daughter, hearing all this started shouting into the cellphone, "Mom, close the door! Lock it! Stop talking to him. Drive!"

So I locked the door, told him I was sorry and drove off. So there you have it. I wasn't being safe there either and this was about 20 years ago. I wasn't a senior then.

But then you wonder...

Do you always have to be so suspicious of everyone who stops you for help? Sadly, I'm afraid we do.


15 comments:

  1. I guess the only real damage a person on a bike could do would be to grab your wallet and pedal off. But panhandling from a bike is a weird thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was advised not to 'click/unlock' your car door open until your right there beside it because there could be someone in the car park watching, see the lights flash/ hear the door lock released so know where you're heading.....with your keys in your hand. Bail you up, take the keys plus handbag/purse and drive off with your car (already opened and waiting)
    Sounds dramatic - but possible

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, my personal danger is rarely very high on my radar. I carry a few loose bills in my pocket sometimes but I prefer to donate money and meals to a program I know is helping families find homes.

    I do figure if you can afford a nice bicycle you don't really need my money and if you stole a fancy bike then you really don't need my money. And if I do get that intuitive tingle that something is not right, I do pay attention to it so I am not completely oblivious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have to trust your instincts and be aware of your surroundings...prayer helps too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad that people who need money are compared to thieves. WE must remain safe and try to find ways to help them when we are in a safer environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have probably let the "pregnant" woman in to use the bathroom also. That would have been hard to say no to. Still we older ones are especially vulnerable and easy targets. I count on my creep radar to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised by how many wild pitches come across the internet. we have many phone scams each day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many panhandlers on the streets here. I give money to them occasionally, I don't know why one person but not another. And those who are there every day know they will get nothing from me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A co-worker of mine was stopped by a dude who asked for money, she took her wallet out and as soon as she did, he grabbed it and RAN. Nope nope ever to giving $$$ - could be for drugs or booze, I ain't enabling. BB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just be careful! So unfortunate.
    I've heard of people intentionally hitting your car, then trying to steal money or the car. Safest to drive directly to a police station if you suspect that's happening.
    There was a rapist on the campus of Kansas University in Lawrence during '72-74. He'd ask girls on the sidewalk what time it was, and when the girl looked down, he'd grab them, take them elsewhere to finish the attack. Nobody got to ask that question for years on campus because of that.
    Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel bad for the homeless I meet when we go into the city. They are especially prominent around Pioneer Square where we gather for our soccer matches. I want to give them something but I almost never do, especially if they ask. I donate every month to the Union Gospel Mission, and hope I am at least helping a few. We do have to be aware of our safety.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was in my car eating lunch at work and watching Netflix on my phone today. I had my window down. Some "workers" in a van rolled by and asked me if I had a cigarette I'd trade a dollar for. I was wondering their next move as I rejected them, told them my dad died of lung cancer, and they looked at me really odd.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.