We've been to Canada several times. We loved Nova Scotia and PEI. We loved Toronto. We loved British Columbia. We loved Ontario. And everywhere we went, we met Canadians who were as nice as could be. What surprised us most was how Canadians seemed to know more about American politics than most Americans.
We used to joke that if we even thought about crossing the street, the driver would stop for us. No, seriously. Once I just looked at the road and the car stopped.
Canadians are nice.
Our tai chi communications guy sent the following photos and I just had to share them.
Here's the Canadian Police clashing with citizens.
And here's how the Montreal Police protest a labor dispute. They just didn't wear their work pants.
And apparently, also very honest. When the attendants were missing and the gates were broken this is what the Canadians did.










Thanks. We do have our share of troglodytes, but they don't seem to be as numerous or as vocal as yours.
ReplyDeleteI have a long-time friend in Scotland who follows American politics also, and is quite knowledgeable. Politics has never been so "interesting" as in the last four years.
ReplyDeleteQuite a nice tribute to Canadians.
ReplyDeleteGod love those Canadians!
ReplyDeleteSeems like the best think about Canada might be the discovery of a cure for Diabetes. I read this morning that they managed to cure diabetes in mice and thing look very promising for their discovery.
ReplyDeleteI love only a short distance from the Canadian border, which is currently closed. But I also love all the polite Canadians I know, many of them from their blogs. :-)
ReplyDeleteThis was sweet & fun--besides a couple Canadian bloggers, I follow a couple on Youtube (who live and travel in their vans), VanCity VanLife & Foresty Forest. A lot of gorgeous scenery.
ReplyDeletePS. Besides Canadians, I've never met a Hawaiian I didn't like :)
interesting and true...
ReplyDeleteTrue Story - My first time crossing into Canada, there was a car being torn apart at the border and all the contents set on the pavement around the car. The border officer motioned me to pull forward which I did. I rolled down the window and he spent five minutes yelling at me for not pulling over into the lane next to me. My wife and I were shocked and wondering if we made a mistake. But fortunately, I later learned that the fellow was probably having a really bad day and just needed to blow off some steam because every Canadian we met after that incident was exceedingly friendly. But we still nervously joke about that day every time we get ready to cross the border again.
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Just the sort of post to get me going for another day.
ReplyDeleteI love it. Politeness and manners go such a long way. Makes one long for the gentler world that they have proven is possible.
ReplyDeleteI love Canada. All our short vacays were in BC cuz we live in Washington State. Miss it.
ReplyDeleteOh, how I like that hat. I love all the pictures too. A lovely post.
ReplyDeleteAnother fun post! Thanks you.
ReplyDeleteI love Canada and live quite close to British Columbia. (which I would love to visit once the border opens up)
ReplyDeleteSo nice! However, I have met 2 very rude Canadians. Both were wealth seminar gurus and when they were up on stage, were charming, funny, and brilliant. However, on a one to one basis, they were dismissive and seemed to look down on the USA. They only wanted our money and were so good at what they did, they got most of the audience.
ReplyDeleteOne Canadian company - Brookfield Properties wants to build 5 towers at Ala Moana Center exceeding the current 150 ft height limits and build to 400 feet. If they were as courteous and nice as most other Canadians, they would respect the laws in place and not build to get rich. We don't need or want higher condos for the rich.
What a wonderful tribute Kay! Of course have changed and it is not so perfect as you describe but Canada is still a great place to live.
ReplyDeleteHad to share this one with you
Deletehttps://www.instagram.com/p/CIGTTjKqWHQ/?igshid=ane64tapn3bc
What a nice post :)
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
A great post Kay and loved the photos. I have to say my trips into Canada have always been wonderful experiences, and I have left thinking how very nice the Canadians are.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lovely collection, Kay. I agree with all of it, except the Canadian geese. My Canadian friends busted me. They are Canada Geese. Apparently except in Canada.
ReplyDeleteWell thanks for the complements. We do have our share of yahoos. Our older people have a very good understanding of our neighbor to the south. I don't think our young people will be as well informed. I also think there are many Americans who are pleasant and nice. I know there are places you can go and there will be problems. Had a good time in Chicago with my daughter! Had two great trips to Hawaii!
ReplyDeleteI love that hat! I'd wear that hat, and I neither wear hats OR am Canadian. You know, I did meet a disagreeable Canadian. It was my one and only experience with that. My daughter and I met up in New Orleans. After a wonderful week of touring around New Orleans, she went with me to the airport. I was headed home, and she had an educational conference and was headed back to Kabul. We were sharing a quiet meal together. It was crowded and the tables were quite close together (remember the old days before Covid...) In any case, the man began to ask us about our meal choices (I was having fried green tomatoes and jumbalaya.) They complained about the tables being so close together, then they began to complain about NO, about how awful the people were, how everyone tried to cheat them, how rude people were to them, etc. etc. It hadn't been our experience at all. Everyone was so kind and welcoming and we quite fell in love with the city. Truly. And the man said it was because we were Americans and didn't recognize rudeness, since we were all rude by nature. That dumbfounded me. Then he said that Americans were pathetic and were always claiming to win wars but really it was the English help that enabled us to win anything. We simply quit talking to both of them. They were in town for a bridge tournament. Perhaps all bridge players are like that. I don't know.
ReplyDeleteThere must be a horrible Canadian somewhere! I have never met a bad one though. :-)
ReplyDeleteMy husband's job required him to work with Homeland Security. We keep up with US politics, as your policies affect us.
ReplyDeleteNo, the police are not all like the above! We have a huge Black Lives Matter org., with many incidents of police racism. It is shameful, really.
Happily, that is not most of our police.