Monday, January 4, 2021

Childhood Memories of Kunia

Funny how as we enter the new year of hope, I'm looking back into my past.


My header photo shows the irrigation ditch/canal a short distance uphill from the house where we lived when my brother and I were born. Our large, lone house was surrounded by sugar cane. I recall someone saying my paternal grandfather was in charge of minding the pump or something like that.

My father was the eldest son of nine children. There were eleven, but two died in infancy.

My parents are standing on the right. 


I used to wonder if it was my childhood memory that made the house and especially the backyard seem vast.

However, from these photos, you can see it really was large.

Sheesh! How did they ever keep that lawn mowed?

That's me on the top photo (looking toward the house) and me and my brother on the bottom photo (in the opposite direction). You can see the sugar cane just beyond the large tree.

So here are our memories. Remember that I was 6 when we moved away. Dennis was 3. My mother would have been 26.




My Memories: 

I remember climbing down the ladder into that irrigation canal/ditch. There were dojo there that we liked to catch. Dojo are freshwater loaches. It's the Japanese name for eel like fish that Asian immigrants brought to Hawaii for food in the 1800s.

I remember falling into the canal water and getting wet. We had a pond in the front of the house that was full of fish also. I don't ever remember eating dojo. 

Dennis' Memories:

That ditch was the one that ran alongside the mountain side of the road that went to our Kunia house. The view is looking toward Waianae. The iron ladder was probably there for workers to clean out the ditch. The ditch was a feeder for some of the reservoirs and also fed the fields below them. I don't think the water was from Waiahole although it might have been possible. The ditch had good sized fish swimming in it, carp, I think. But the ditch wasn't always filled so I don't know where the fish came from. I also remember dragonflies flitting around the ditch.

Mom's Memories:

That shack on the left side of photo was a pump. Your father had to go there everyday to turn it on to divert water to the house from the canal. Yes, you and Dennis did play in that canal. And it was him that fell in the water, not you. No, I never cooked the dojo. You both just liked to catch them.

One funny memory I have. Dennis was only 3. The sugarcane workmen used to cross through our backyard because it was so big and a bother to walk around. 

(First off, you have to understand that my brother is the kindest, most gentle person around. I don't think I've ever heard him yell.) 

One day, a worker laughingly told me. "Yoh boy sassy doh.  (Pidgin translation: Your boy is sassy.) He told me, 'No walk my yard.' (Pidgin translation: Don't trespass through my yard.)"

Mom is still laughing about this just to imagine her three year old son telling a huge man not to walk through his yard.

And these are the memories we remembered just by looking at that photo of the irrigation canal/ditch.

29 comments:

  1. What sweet memories. It's funny what we remember and how other family members may remember things in an entirely different way sometimes. or don't rember things that I thought were entirely unforgettable and vs. versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the present you in the old photo. My wife still resembles her former self. I don't seem to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh, Anvilcloud is right--I can tell that's you, plain as day Kay! Anyway, what an awesome look back, loved seeing the ditch here and all that sugarcane! Your little brother, too sweet, too funny... I loved seeing those strange eel-fish too. 1950 doesn’t sound like a long time ago, that was 10 years before I was born... but then you think, “Wow that was 70 years ago”. Time sure flies, doesn’t it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you really do look the same! i really enjoyed reading this. i don't have any family left to reminisce with but it sure would be fun to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great memories you have! The older I am, the more I think about my past, and what a wonderful time that was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful memories, thanks so much for sharing Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun to come up with memories from the past? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fun-hope you are or have published these memories in one place for your posterity to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved these memories...except for the Dojos. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reliving memories from looking at old photographs. But I have discovered that they don't translate down to other generations unless shared. So many of my grandparents photographs tell a story which I can't for the life of my understand. Thus I try to write about some of my pictures in the hopes that the memories outlive me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To look back helps us to appreciate where we are now...how we got here, what we brought along, what we abandoned along the way. And now, with a new year, what memories do we want to make that will carry us forward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post Kay and I like how your Mom could freshen the memories. Interesting how we remember things differently. My brother and I often laugh and say we must have been raised in different families for our memories are so different.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely stories Kay! It is great that your Mom and brother can clarify some things for you and tell you more stories about your early life. I used to love to listen to my Nana talk about things when she grew up and when I was very young. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1950 was the year I was born. 70 years ago! Wow. It's always fun to relive memories with siblings. I did some of that on a zoom call recently with 4 of my 5 siblings. Funny thing is that there's 19 years between oldest and youngest so their memories don't overlap as much.
    I too could see the present you in the 6 year old you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mahalo for sharing all of that childhood neighborhood information. So nice that your Mom could add to the recollections too. I wouldn't want to play with the dojos. (Well, I played with june bugs as a kid in Oklahoma, and locust shells left on tree trunks.) Yes, that's a big house and a huge yard. (Bet the boys helped to mow the yard.) Amazing how the house got it's water supply. So now, I wonder if it's all still there. Did your family move from that house to another because of how the sugar cane or pineapple was being processed?
    (I toured an irrigation ditch on Kauai with Kauai Backcountry Adventures. We floated on big innertubes even though the water was only 3-foot deep. Islanders carved tunnels through the mountains and operated little manual gates to control the water flow. We had rubber gloves and shoes, and lighted miners hats to tour the tunnels. Totally amazing history! It sure wasn't Kansas!) Linda on flat land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine did that Kauai Backcountry Adventures too and said it was wonderful. One of these days, we shall have to try it.

      We had to move from the Kunia home once I started school because it was just too far away and isolated. In fact, all the areas we lived in our childhood is completely obliterated. They've all been demolished, leveled, graded and been turned into shopping centers or subdivisions.

      Delete
  16. Yes, you will have to go on the backcountry trip. Travel in your own neighborhood. I'm sorry the house is gone. When I revisited the house I grew up in, I found the acreage subdivided, the side yard a driveway, and the garage moved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is fascinating how photographs can elicit such vivid memories and stories. It's why I get after my mom when she throws away any old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What cute little children you and your brother were! I bet your mom worried plenty about that ditch in your backyard. It looks quite steep and deep. It’s sad that it has all been developed and turned into shopping centers, etc but nice you have the photos and your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't this fun! I hear you about looking back. SOme days...
    BTW My son bought me a year-long subscription to Storyworth.com from which they send me a writing prompt. You can upload photos, as you respond to the prompt. You might like it! At the year's end, they send you a book of all your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course, I had to visit your site, Kay, after you kindly commented on mine. I fell in love with your state when I honey-mooned in
    Honolulu in 1970. I've three vivid memories of my time there. (1) The beautiful, warm beaches; (2) The heavenly taste of naturally ripened pineapple served on hotel bars; and (3) The nasty sun blisters from hours of learning to surf when my skin was used to a Canadian winter. Childhood memories vividly surround me as I now live in the same house I and my siblings grew up in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You learned to surf! That is awesome! Sigh... It's VERY easy to get sunburned in Hawaii... VERY VERY easy.

      Delete
  21. I loved the childhood memories of your home. What was your Dad’s employment there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was part of the irrigation maintenance crew.

      Delete
  22. It's good you wrote down the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Kay, that was really fun, and to hear the things that you remember, and your mom and brother, too. Thanks for taking me with you in that Way Back machine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can barely remember my childhood, growing up in Palolo. I do remember running around barefoot and fishing in the stream. I think I also had the same haircut as you, lol!

    Thanks for the stroll down your memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting cuz live in Royal Kunia and my landlord works for one of the Kunia farms. They have treated sewage from Schofield in a big pond to use as water for their fields. When her kids were small and pre-farm work, she would take her kids fishing since it had fish. Little did she know what the water was.I am curious where you lived in Kunia, everything here has been converted to homes by Castle & Cooke. And YES your home was HUGE
    Why did y'all leave such a gorgeous house. -BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was provided by the plantation because they needed somebody to man the pumps, I think. I'm sure it was rented. We tried to figure out where the house was and totally couldn't figure it out. We also lived in the plantation housing in Waipahu near Manager's Drive, but we STILL can't figure out where that house was because everything was leveled.

      Delete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.