All this brought to mind a happy memory.
I was surprisingly blessed with three wedding showers in 1972. I don't know how that happened but I was truly touched. My aunts threw a negligee shower for me. Oh my! That was tons of fun. My aunts certainly had a wild imagination.
My friends from work also held a shower for me at The Top of Illikai and it turned out to be on the same day as the shower that my childhood and college friends also arranged at the The Summit in Ala Moana. I therefore went from one shower to the next. It was quite a memorable day.
It was at The Summit that I get to the Irish part.We were all gathered and having a truly lovely time when a couple (I hope they don't mind my posting their photo) next to our large table stopped by and asked if they could give me an Irish blessing.
With the raising of our water glasses he toasted:
"May you live as long as you want. May you never want as long as you live; And may you get to heaven three days before the devil knows you're dead."
It was such a fun, impromptu gesture but here we are 48 years later and I'm fondly remembering that Irish kindness.
Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody!


That is a great memory! I love that toast. I'm making corned beef and cabbage tonight for dinner. Can't remember when I've done it before. Thankfully it's a small cut of corned beef.
ReplyDeleteAnd a Happy St Patrick’s Day to you too Kay. Lovely memory of a happy day and a great toast to round it off.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice memory.
ReplyDeleteWe have never really bothered with the day except for once when we went to a big do at a local golf club abnd were totally miserable.
ReplyDeleteA very nice look back Kay, I sure enjoyed these pics of the corned beef and that long table of lovely lasses :^) It just occurred to me you're as popular now as you were then! Happy St Patricks Day to you & Art and the rest of your family too :)
ReplyDeletefun memories. I'm part Irish but a very small part...will have to wear green today.
ReplyDeleteToday I'll be making corned beef and cabbage for the first time in my life. Wish me luck. I'll probably use the Instant Pot.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great memory! I've got my green on and will have a corned beef dinner tonight.
ReplyDeleteLovely memories. I should make cabbage today at least.
ReplyDeleteI love that blessing. St Patrick's Day has mostly meant I need to wear something green to avoid getting pinched. But, after doing a 23 and Me test, I need to look into my Irish roots a little more. The test said I have 86% British & Irish, so I need to embrace it! I did have my first bangers & mash this last year at a local Irish pub.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your reminder to wear green. I had to go upstairs and change for the day. Thank you also for your kind visit. It's very nice to meet you.
DeleteA nice Irish toast. I remember going to the St. Patrick's Day parade in NYC in 1977. It was a little much for me. Haven't been back for it.
ReplyDeleteHave a great St. Patrick's. my sisters and I are about 1/2 Irish and it's my birthday. The crowds in clubs and bars were always a bit much for me I just celebrate with family and friends. Erin go bragh, Ireland forever.
ReplyDeleteWonderful memories! I had three showers also and got LOTS of stuff. I spent a long time writing thank you notes.
ReplyDeleteSuch a popular girl you were and I loved the Irish Blessing. Being 1/2 Irish I had heard it before but smile everytime I hear it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect and cherish-worthy memory. YOu have lived a good life to get an Irish blessing.
ReplyDeletethe irish sure are full of blarney! happy st. pat's day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet blessing! I'm so glad you remember it all these years later, and shared it with your virtual family! Happy St. Patrick's Day! :-)
ReplyDeleteMy mother would always make an Irish stew for St. Patrick's Day.
ReplyDeleteAnd the only green I've got is a green camo bandanna, which I'm wearing today.
What a wonderful memory, and how sweet of that Irish couple to wish you a good blessing for your marriage. I have a bit of Irish in me. Dated a guy that HAD to find a bar to have green added to an Irish beer for the day. (Yep, still talk to him 35 years later....) After some wonderful REAL Irish coffee with STRONG REAL Irish whiskey, I was hooked, and married that Irish guy. Oh well. Then my niece came to an Irish Fest in K.C. I took her to an Irish restaurant; she showed me that putting ice cream into your dark Irish beer was a good thing. Nope, didn't even try it. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteIce cream in beer??? Oh my gosh... It's hard to even imagine.
DeleteA super post and such a sweet memory :) We have been in touch with our extended family in Ireland today. So happy to have them in our family and happy to have you as a blogging friend. Happy St. Patrick's Day :)
ReplyDeleteGreat memory to have at that special time.
ReplyDeleteBless you, Lass!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful Irishness. I'm sure they were in heaven three days before.
ReplyDeleteSuch a nice post down memory lane!
ReplyDeleteWonderful memories.
ReplyDeleteA nice memory.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Can you believe where the time has gone??!!
ReplyDelete