Wednesday, April 21, 2021

A Gift of Poems from My Mother’s Sister

Quite a while ago, my mother's youngest sister in Sendai, Japan gave me a book of poems for children written by a poet named Kaneko Teru. I think the poems have a different feel than those written for children in the west.

I noticed the book again while rearranging my bookshelf and read through it. This one made me smile.


A Little Bird, a Bell, and Me

Even though I open my arms wide,
I still can't fly in the sky at all.
But a little bird who can fly,
Can't run on the ground as fast as me.

Even though I shake my body,
I still can't make a sound as beautiful as a bell,
But that ringing bell
Doesn't know as many songs as me.

A bell, a little bird, and me,
We're all different and wonderful.

When I looked at the information about the author, I noticed she died very young at 26. I found quite a bit of information about her. This was on Wikipedia:
"Misuzu Kaneko (金子 みすゞKaneko Misuzu, April 11, 1903 – March 10, 1930) was a Japanese poet, known for her poetry for children. She was born Teru Kaneko (金子 テルKaneko Teru) in the fishing village of Senzaki, now part of NagatoYamaguchi prefecture. Motifs of fishing and the sea often make appearances in her poems. Celebrated during her lifetime, her works fell into obscurity after her death, until being rediscovered in the 1980s. Since then, she has been regarded as one of Japan's most beloved children's poets."

I wanted to know why she died so young and found this on the same Wikipedia page

"Kaneko's private life was not as fortunate, however. In 1926, she entered into a marriage arranged by her uncle, with a clerk in the family bookstore. A daughter, Fusae, was born in November. Her new husband was unfaithful and contracted a venereal disease, which he passed on to Kaneko, causing her lifelong physical pain. He also forced her to stop writing, while putting the family through the strain of four moves within two years to pursue failing business ventures. She finally divorced him in 1930, but this meant also losing custody of her daughter to her husband. Japanese law at the time automatically granted the father indisputable custody to the child.

On March 9, 1930, the day before her husband was due to take custody, Kaneko felt no recourse except to commit suicide in protest. After bathing Fusae and sharing a sakuramochi, Kaneko wrote a letter to her husband asking that he let her mother raise the girl instead, and overdosed on sedatives, dying the next day, only a month before her 27th birthday. Her daughter was ultimately raised by the grandmother."

Hearts

Even though my mother
Is big and grown up,
My mother's heart 
Must be small.

'Cause, my mother said,
It's been all filled up with little me.

But , even though I am little
And just a child,
My heart 

Must be big.

"Cause, my heart
Can hold my big mother
And still have room for lots more.

I found more information about her on the website, World Literature Today.

Somehow knowing about her life history brings more poignancy to her poetry. She had such sadness in her life, but she left a gift of beauty for the children that came after her.

22 comments:

  1. Those are lovely poems. So sad that she did not live long enough to write more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad Kay, thanks for sharing this. If we want to complain about our lives this puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful book. Interesting how the English seems to be primary and the written Japanese is off to the side. If any family members, (I'm thinking of your grandchildren,) were to learn even a little bit of Japanese, that would be a nice sample to compare the English words to the written Japanese characters. A sad story about the author. Thanks for sharing some interesting information. I wonder if divorces in Japan are still settled with the fathers automatically receiving the children. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite the tragic story. They weren't the 'good old days', were they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her poetry, but what a sad and tragic life. I hope her daughter was much happier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sad story, but a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love her poetry. Can see how it would move a child, it moved me. What a tragic life she led and so awful that she saw no way but to end it. Her marriage and her life were not hers to live but scripted by others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love these poems. so many women have had such sad lives due to evil men.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a touching story. And her poems are also touching and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ....and to the adults who read her today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really loved her poetry... but the life story is so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a sad story. Sad to think that even today, some women have their life partners chosen for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for assembling all that sad information on a short life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Her poetry is beautiful. It's so sad that this remarkable young woman was silenced forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely poems. What a tragic life she had.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That little book is a treasure, the artwork and the poems. Such a sad life and loss, for her daughter and all the poems she still had to write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful poems both. You have a treasure there. But a tragic life indeed....imagine how many more beautiful poems there would be, and a very different life for her daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sad story, but she was a very gifted poet and left a legacy for us all. I wonder what happened to her daughter, if she grew up to know how wonderful her mother was.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.