I am so stuck on the word so and use it so many times that it's become rather a problem for me. It's not so much that I can't think of another word, it's just that it works so well.
So then... is there a word you use a lot and have to stop yourself?
I just want you to know I'm so sorry if you've noticed this. I've tried using very or a lot or truly or really, but somehow my fingers keep wanting to use so. It just seems so perfect for what I'm trying to say.
Sigh....
I just looked up "so" and this is what I got from the Google dictionary.
1.
to such a great extent.
"the words tumbled out so fast that I could barely hear them"
extremely; very much (used for emphasis).
INFORMAL
used to emphasize a clause or negative statement.
INFORMAL
used with a gesture to indicate size.
"the bird was about so long"
2.
to the same extent (used in comparisons).
"he isn't so bad as you'd think"
3.
referring back to something previously mentioned.
that is the case.
"if she notices, she never says so"
similarly; and also.
"times have changed and so have I"
expressing agreement.
"“It's cold in here.” “So it is.”"
INFORMAL
used to emphatically contradict a negative statement.
4.
in the way described or demonstrated; thus.
conjunction
conjunction: so
1.
and for this reason; therefore.
"it was still painful so I went to see a specialist"
with the result that.
"it was overgrown with brambles, so that I had difficulty making any progress"
2.
with the aim that; in order that.
"they whisper to each other so that no one else can hear"
3.
and then; as the next step.
4.
introducing a question.
"so, what did you do today?"
introducing a question following on from what was said previously.
"so what did he do about it?"
INFORMAL
why should that be considered significant?
5.
introducing a statement which is followed by a defensive comment.
"so I like anchovies—what's wrong with that?"
6.
introducing a concluding statement.
7.
in the same way; correspondingly.
"just as bad money drives out good, so does bad art drive out the good"
It's no wonder that I'm so addicted to this word.
I think we tend to use as though we are continuing a thought or a conversation, even if we aren't, technically speaking.
ReplyDeleteSo many definitions! So that's why it is so prevalent.
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem with "well", I used to finish all my own blogs with a "Well, that's all I have for now..." Kay I think you're a fine writer, I've never noticed you using it to excess. I've seen you use "Sigh" when you get a little exasperated, but it makes me smile as I see it as your word. :^)
ReplyDeleteI like "sigh" and I like "..." I don't know why. I just do.
DeleteI find myself using the word 'then' quite often in my daily journal. I have to concentrate to not use it so much.
ReplyDelete'so' drives me crazy. my kids use it to introduce everything they say. i am hearing it more and more all of the time.
ReplyDeleteYes! This seems to be a thing with younger folks - our kids in their 30s. Seems as if every sentence begins with "So...". Annoying, I agree.
DeleteMary
With that many definitions, is there any doubt we use it a lot. I really haven't noticed any over use from you. I kind of overuse "yikes."
ReplyDeleteI hadn't notice you struggling with "so" at all. I struggle with the word "Photo." There are only so many variations, yet I get stuck on one.
ReplyDeleteSo I don't see any problem. It is a great and powerful word, don't you think so?
ReplyDelete😂
DeleteSo, I think you've done so well, Kay. I haven't noticed your overuse of the word so. So, it's okay with me to keep writing just as you have in your blog, because your entries are so informative. Even Art is SO helpful many times, and your Mom is so delightful!
DeleteI remember kids using the phrase "you know" when they hesitated speaking, and it drove speech and debate teachers nuts. I've even noticed celebrities and news anchors using "you know" when trying to think of the next thing to say. SO irritating, but they don't know, you know, that they're doing it. Linda in so-so Kansas
You are soooo funny!
DeleteHmm, I seem to use "so" to start up some kind of converstions such as "So, tell me..." Especially with my grandkids. I haven't notice you use of so here, not that I'd mind. usful word. Stuck in my mind now, ha ha.
ReplyDeleteSo, my typing is terrible today.
DeleteThe reason you all haven't seen SO being used too much in my posts is because I have to keep going back and deleting them. I now use an erasable pen so I can take out my so's in my cards that I send people. Sigh...
ReplyDeleteSeeing all of those usages for such a small word, it's no wonder you and all of us use it so much. It is a powerful word! Therefore, I think you should use it however your heart desires. So there!
ReplyDeleteyou are so loved whether or not you use this word so much...lol!
ReplyDeleteI try to change up my vocabulary, and sentence order. It's interesting we can ID people by the language they use.
ReplyDeleteI haven't noticed any overuse of so. I'm sure we all have verbal and writing tics. I try to vary my words, but tend to use too many versions of "beautiful."
ReplyDeleteHmm
ReplyDeleteI think it's very praiseworthy that you examine yourself for improvement. But I haven't noticed it and I always enjoy reading your posts, Kay
ReplyDeleteSo is a very versatile word.
ReplyDelete