Tuesday, October 5, 2021

What Toys Did You Play With?

Myra's Question of the Day:

What toys did you like to play with?  Why those particular toys?

When I first got this question from Myra, I didn't think I could write a blog post on it because I don't remember having toys. But then tai chi friends on that same chat line jogged my memory. I'd totally forgotten.

All I could remember was little bean bags that we made ourselves with material and koa (acacia) seeds. 

We learned how to juggle three at one time or two with one hand.

Yes, I could. Honest.

It was a competition to see how long you could keep juggling the bean bags without dropping one.

Art says that on the Big Island, they made their bean bags with canna lily seeds. Apparently they were round, black seeds that were bigger than our koa seeds. I remember canna lilies, but we never used the seeds. He says they would also put the seeds in their mouth and shoot them like blow guns out of cut bamboo stalks. 🙄

The girls also had paper dolls. We would design, trace and color our own outfits for the paper dolls. And there were yo-yos. I was never good at that. And there was jacks which kids would all play together. I know my brother made slingshots and probably a bunch of other things. 

(Thank you to all my tai chi friends for reminding me. They know who they are.) We all relate to each other's experiences since we all grew up without the benefits our children enjoyed many years later.

Friends, relatives and neighbors in Illinois and Hawaii showered our kids with gifts.

And yet, we and friends here in Hawaii remember those olden days of unknown poverty as being days of fun and discovery. We didn't feel a need for more toys and relied on creativity and friends to fill our days. And perhaps that's why we look back and think of them as golden olden days.

Do you remember what kind of toys you played with?

22 comments:

  1. I played with miniatures. Loved small ceramic dolls that I kept in a little Lane cedar chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the picture of Christmas morning at your house. It looked so similar to when our kids were little.

    I always got a doll, when Barbie came along, she was a Christmas gift, also my older sister sewed a lot of pretty Barbie clothes to go with her, usually I also got quite a few other stocking stuffers or small toys. One year I got an old fashioned glider sled, and another year a round toboggan sled. As I got older I received a Gilbert Chemistry set that included a lot of small bottles of chemicals plus items to do glass blowing,glass rods plus I think it had a Bunsen burner but can't remember that clearly (no safety goggles), Dad told me use his work goggles whenever I messed with that glass! I never hurt myself with any of the chemistry set experiments or when I tried glass blowing. Another year I got a microscope, which I loved using. I was fascinated with looking at all of the microscopic creatures in our fishpond water, and water from every where else I found it outside. I would spend hours searching for different creatures and then sketching them and making notes of where and when I found them in a notebook I had. I didn't know I was being a nerd back then. My sister was 18 years older than me, so I basically was an only child. My Dad worked as a Union Carpenter. He worked year round and made good money.

    My friends all had generous Christmases like I did. We were all very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You stirred a memory of boys shooting peashooters, but I don't think I ever had one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only one I can remember playing with a lot is jacks. Fun with friends but I would often practice my skills when alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was obsessed with the jacks game. In older childhood we played a lot of checkers monopoly scrabble. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kay! I played with paper dolls, jacks, playing cards (solitaire) and monopoly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stirred up some memories. I played with jacks and I had beautiful paper dolls that my arty Aunt Barbara made for me. Wish I still had those. We played a lot of cards in my family. Later there were board games. One year my grandmother gave me a dollhouse which I still have. Mostly we played outside though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a pebble driveway when I was a kid, and we used to make roads and buildings and little towns out of the pebbles. Sort of a prehistoric SimCity. Not a toy; but that's what we did and it was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paper dolls gave way to Barbie dolls. We would create elaborate stories for the dolls when I was in grade school. Kids play with Barbie dolls much younger now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. dolls, teddy bears, jacks, marbles, jump rope, batons, rollar skates, bike, tea sets, etc. lots of stuff for playing house

    ReplyDelete
  11. We didn't have many toys either. I remember a special baby doll I had and a crib for it to sleep in. I also remember a child size garden set that I got for my birthday one year. But we did a lot of just playing outside, making mud pies and playing house with sawhorses and burlap sacks, playing in the hay barn, going exploring in the back woods, riding bikes on the country road. During the winder we played a lot of card and board games.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember a set of blocks that were for three of us. My folks went through the Great depression and had little Us kids had little so we played with things. We climbed trees and many more activities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It goes to show how children make their own toys and figure out how to play with just about anything. I had paper dolls and also a Chatty Cathy doll. I loved Barbies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mud and leaves when I played house. Leaves were salad and mud was anything I wanted it to be. Outside roaches and ants. Thought they were cool. Yeah, poor requires a lotta imagination. Jacks was a fave, jump rope though never could double dutch, never could.master the hula hoop to this day. Paper dolls and my #1 was Barbie. I was more athletic i was insanely crazy over tetherball, played until my parents thought I was kidnapped one time, and always got sun stroke. Also monkey bars and jungle gym. Loved climbing trees too. Guess I was just a little monkey. No Moe money so we made do and toys were precious. BB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! I forgot hula hoops! Yes! Yes! We definitely did hula hoops and mud/leaves, jump rope. It's true that when you're poor, you have to use your imagination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember those bean bags. We would put the haole koa seeds in them, sometimes rice. We also played with marbles, the bumboocha marble could be used to demolish the opponent, and we kept the marbles that we conquered. We went down to Palolo Stream to catch guppies. And I loved to do puzzles - even if we only had one puzzle, I would do it over and over. I think the picture was one of Van Gogh's - a yellow field of grass with a small path. Hmmm. I should look it up to make sure.

    Kids nowadays have so much electronics and they don't get dirty. I think we had more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had dolls and paper dolls and jacks and jump ropes. And we had comic books...lots of comic books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Little cars, mostly. Which is ironic, since these days one of my pet peeves is idiots whose lives revolve around their cars.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had so many toys I liked, I just can't name them all! Sometimes I'll remember a specific toy, then look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Over the years I had many toys that I liked, but my favourite memory is of my beloved teddy bear :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I placed with jacks and got really good. I wore down my fingernails on my right hand, they were all slanted. I also used a golf ball instead of a soft rubber one. I also played with paper dolls and cut out my own share of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had so many toys I liked I can't name them all! Often I'll remember some and look them up.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.