Art had gone down earlier to make our oatmeal in the morning. When I went downstairs he greeted me with, "Mom's upset about the butsudan cloth. It might have to be replaced."
The butsudan is a Buddhist family altar. It generally gets passed down through the family line. It's a place to honor your ancestors and express gratitude for what they contributed to the family. Mom's father was a zen priest in Sendai so it's especially important to her and she does a little prayer each morning in front of it.
Mom says she bought the altar cloth in Japan. I looked online to see if I could find it on Amazon. They sell everything, right? Nope. Ebay had used altar cloths for about $30 + $22 shipping. Seriously? Used?
"Don't worry," says Art to mom. "Kay can fix it." 😲
"Are you kidding?" I tell him.
"Check it out," he says. "You just have to resew that edging.
Sigh...
Mom had washed the brocade cloth and I could see a LOT of sun and salt air damage on the edges of both sides. The material was just crumbling apart.Soooo... I had to make a pattern. I found some scrap material that would do.
But then worried that I didn't have the right color thread.
Well, it turned out that my daughter, Tiffany had sent me 100% cotton thread to make masks over a year ago. It was this weird olive color that made me wonder why she selected it. It was perfect!
It worked!
Art called Mom over and she was amazed, thrilled and relieved.
I'm glad it's one crisis averted.
"You see?" said Art. "I knew you could do it."
Wait till she says her TV is broken again and I say, "Art can fix it."


Your mom is so lucky to have you and Art to help her out! You are wonderful "children".
ReplyDeleteLove that last sentence! Hah!
ReplyDeleteYou are brilliant! You are both so handy.
ReplyDeleteGood job! Your new strip is the perfect color and texture to go with the rest of the altar cloth.
ReplyDeleteRevenge is sweet. 😎
ReplyDeleteGOod job Kay!
ReplyDeleteGreat, creative job Kay and I know your Mom is relieved. Had to laugh at your planned revenge for Art:)
ReplyDeleteThat's wonderful that you could fix it! I wish I could sew; it would often come in handy. I also loved your last sentence. :)
ReplyDeletehow sweet to have two loved ones to repair and meet her needs. Good job!
ReplyDeletethis was a comment by Lin Floyd anonymous today...
DeleteThanks so much for your comment and bearing with this Anonymous thing, Lin.
DeleteKay
If you ever need a replacement, try Iida's. They used to have a store front on Kona Street, but due to the pandemic they went online. Try this link https://www.iidashawaii.com/buddhist-and-shinto-accessories. They have all type of Japanese trinkets also. Mich
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! Thank you so much Mich! This is why writing a blog is really wonderful. You get to have many more friends sharing their varied knowledge and experiences.
DeleteKay (writing anonymously because Blogger is still aggravating me)
Great job, Kay! Between you and Art, all is always well!
ReplyDelete"Necessity is the mother of invention." You put that adage to work!
ReplyDeleteLittle things can mean a lot. Well done.
ReplyDeleteKudos to you, Kay.... and now you have another resource from Kalin's mommy! Good work!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Kay. Art was right, hee hee.
ReplyDeleteDrumMajor here. What a beautiful alter and cloth. I noticed the lighters to the right. Hope your Mom is still safe using them and lighting the correct things. I suppose those battery operated little tea lights wouldn't pass muster with the local priest, would it? All of the items in the alter makes me wonder what they represent and where they came from. I'm betting the carved wooden case with the doors is a family treasure. Surely you've recorded and filmed your Mom talking about those items. The great-grand kids will be interested one day. I'm interested now. Art was correct with your talent to repair the cloth. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteActually, mom doesn’t light up anything. The incense sticks are mostly for if the priest should come.
DeleteOops! This was me, Kay.
DeleteWell done Kay :)
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Sometimes small things can be very challenging. Good job.
ReplyDeleteGood of you to do.
ReplyDeleteIt was important to Mom and wonderful that you could fix it.
ReplyDeleteNice work!
ReplyDeleteLove your relationship with Art, and the two of you with your mother!
Perfect? Probably not. Incredibly precious? Absolutely!
Hello Taja, Thank you for your visit. It’s so nice to meet you. Kay (Musings)
DeleteSquealing commodes, alter cloths, what else can you fix?
ReplyDeleteA job well done, and so important to your mom's happiness. I hope her television doesn't act up, but I did appreciate that "get Art back" sentiment.
ReplyDeleteSuch a blessing to visit your altar and mom! Best wishes to you guys
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you came up with a solution AND brought your mother such joy. I love this.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post.
ReplyDeleteYou can do anything.