Friday, September 9, 2022

Throwing Away Hard Work

I think I spent pretty much all of 2020 stuck at home just making masks for everybody. I'm pretty sure I sewed almost 500 masks, some of which were donated. I also gave many away to health care workers, etc.

N95s or KN95s were difficult or impossible to find back then.

However, we now have an abundance of masks. Drugstores, Sam's Club, Costco was even giving away free masks.


Our son and daughter sent boxes of N95s and KN95s to keep us safe this past year. Then a good friend told me about the Honeywell N95s that she said was even more comfortable so I bought that too. Our nephew's wife brought a box of KN95s back from Japan that she said might be a better fit.


I was looking in my mask drawer and saw these early prototypes I'd sewn. I'm afraid they're in the garbage bin now, but it feels rather sad to discard what I worked so hard creating.

However, when we go out these days we see too many people waltzing around without a mask. The Health Department issues COVID numbers each week, but you KNOW the actual COVID infections are much higher since many people have an abundance of home testing kits at their disposal.

Well, I'm just looking forward to having the updated COVID immunization that will target the Omicron variants better. 🤞

33 comments:

  1. Many are without masks now we still wear them. Although we didnt at my daughter's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I go visit my friend, Nancy, at her assisted living home, I am required to wear a mask to even enter. And they always take our temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have met a couple of people who recently got COVID for the first time. It's still out there. Maybe it is becoming endemic, but still worth keeping in awareness and taking precautions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having have had the omicron version, I'm glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still keep a cloth mask in my purse. Even though they're not as effective as N95s or KN95s it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Covid is running rampant here right now with lots of people absent from daily life. I myself have recovered from my second bought with it so I am now ineligible for the new shot until the first of the year. But I should be immune until then so I'm not too worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to wait on the Omicron booster until November just because we have a trip in March/April and I want the most protection I can get.

      Delete
  7. Maskers are definitely in the minority these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lin says it's a strange post covid? world we live in...no masks or masks still?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. That is always the way. Great demand, then someone makes more due to profit, and then suddenly they are everywhere. Maybe they could be made into a quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still mask although I've gone exclusively to KN95s. We've learned so much about the virus since this whole mess started. I still remember John disinfecting all of his groceries in the garage. I'm interested in those Honeywell N95s. Are there appreciable differences between the KN95s and N95s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the KN95s just because it's easiest for me to remove and put back on. However, it's not supposed to be as protective as the N95s. I have no idea if the Honeywells are the best to get, but if I have to wear an N95, it's the most comfortable one for me. I do have some cloth masks I use if I'm outside.... just in case.

      Delete
  11. You certainly did your share in providing safety for the masses. Still wear a mask here in big stores. I didn't even have a cold last year and I am sure that is why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're still wearing our masks when out and about. Our family physician recommends it... and we don't mind. It is the start of flu season, so why not stay somewhat protected? I have lots of home-made masks too... which we used before the KN95's became available... (the quilt idea with the old masks is actually pretty good, Tabor).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’ve thrown away our homemade masks, too, now that the safer ones are readily available. We haven’t given up wearing ours indoors in public. It’s easy and just seems the smart thing to do as we live in an area with the highest numbers in our state.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just got my omicron booster and flu shot plus at Kaiser!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We no longer wear masks except on public transportation. Covid is out there and all around though. So far four of our family mambers has tested positive since attending our Phosie-Gertie picnic. It is becoming much like the flu. Get vaccinated and hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend whose young son-in-law got long term. (Granted that was before vaccines were available and he was a nurse.) My older neighbor just got long term COVID earlier this year too and she's fearing long term as well. She was vaccinated and boosted. I'm extra careful just because my mom is 93.

      Delete
  16. Covid infections and deaths are still very high.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We still must be vigilant. Clean hands. Masks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. NOOOOOO! Don't throw away your masks! Donate them to your Mom's day center, or another place. I still wear one of two of your cloth ones for work with the filter. It's much easier to work 11+ hours in it when the risk is slightly lower. They are made SO well, even with washing and beaming the UVG light on them, all threads and cloth are still intact! I wear the N95s into QuikTrip, my grocery store or WalMart because there are just too many covid cooties flying around. (Remember, it hangs in the air for 3 hours.) I've used your other masks when indoors at an outdoor event, like the KC Ethnic Enrichment Festival. Even outside, I still see 1 out of 50 people wear a mask. The Hawaii photos from bloggers seen to show more folks in Hawaii wearing masks even outdoors. I'm double vaxxed and double boosters, and won't wait to get my next booster. Consider getting your's when available, so you don't get sick before your trip. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Linda. You have made my day! I just threw away my old prototype and old masks that I started making 2 years ago before I settled on the 3D design.

      Everyone wears a mask at our tai chi class which is held outdoors. I also see that most people wear masks at indoor stores although some (younger) people go without. Masks are required in hospitals and doctors offices.

      I'm seeing COVID deaths in Hawaii are still high and the possibility of having long haul COVID is also scary. Our elderly neighbor who is vaccinated and boosted did get long haul for about 6 months, but she appears better now.

      Delete
  19. I don't go into stores without a mask. I fear we will need them for a long time to come. BTW, I'm trying to find out why some people cannot read my blog posts, but so far no luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I just clicked on your blog and I can see you now!!! Phew!!!

      Delete
  20. Jamie here: I got some free masks at Safeway and opened one to try it out. I didn't like how it fit! Now I son't know what to do with the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: I know what you mean. My son sent us a box of the 3M rounded cup type of mask and it was so tight and uncomfortable that we just don’t want to use them. And yet, some people seem OK with them.

      Delete
    2. Kay, stretch out those bands for the cone-shaped ones that seem too tight. Don't stretch it without keeping it from pulling on the attachment to the mask. Some N95s (in hardware stores) have a band that is supposed to be stretched out per the instructions. I'm keeping mine to show any grandkids; I've kept a notebook of a few of the news articles as covid expanded. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
  21. We continue to mask. We cannot take the risk with JB's health. Yet people chided me on going to the Perth Fair! It was in the open air. SIGH>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't take any risks with my 93 year old mom living with us either. Sigh...

      Delete
  22. I don't go anywhere without my mask. I keep it in my purse. I understand how you feel about throwing away all your hard work. I feel the same way. Wishing you well, dear friend! Have a wonderful Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not so many are wearing masks these days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. My sister in law made masks too. I wouldn't want to know the number

    ReplyDelete
  25. We see less and less people in our area without masks. I just have to remind myself that I haven't had as much as a cold or a respiratory infection (which I am prone to and usually go hard down in the wintertime) since we started wearing masks. I might have a hard time giving mine up. We have had our second booster shot and will get the omicron when available.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.