Our friend, Dave told us months ago about a bug catcher called Zevo. He showed us how many bugs his Zevo had caught and we were very impressed.
We therefore ordered a couple of them from Amazon and plugged one in the kitchen where we do get plagued by flies or whatever at times. I'm always leery of mosquitoes in the evening because I used to get a number of bites. I'm thinking now that it wasn't mosquitoes but bird mites because once we stopped pigeons from living under our solar panels, I haven't gotten tons of bites.
This is what the Zevo looks like in the daytime and at night. I don't think they work as well in the daytime so we just turn them on at night.At first, there weren't very many bugs at all, but when I checked a couple of days ago, this is what I saw.
Yay! It caught one mosquito in the bedroom and a lot of ant drones in the kitchen. I don't know what those other teeny bugs are. I don't see any flies though.
And you know what though? I haven't had mosquito or bird mite bites in months while in the house. Uuummm... I'm knocking on wood. I hope I haven't cursed myself.


That is great news. I think it must work just as you needed it to.
ReplyDeleteWe suffer with fruit flies in our kitchen due to all the garden produce in the process of being preserved. About a week ago, I got to thinking about this very topic and searched around awhile. I didn't want to be tied to a specific brand that requires their proprietary sticky pads so in the end, I got two reusable liquid traps. They of course come with some proprietary liquid to fill them but when it runs out, I'm just going to use tomato juice which I have seen before is quite effective. They are supposed to arrive next week.
ReplyDeleteZevo - interesting. I'll check it out. We haven't had any problems lately, but a while back we had fleas in the house from the outside ferals. But we were able to get rid of them - and as far as I can tell, no more. We don't have any inside pets anymore. But occasionally we see a fly, mosquito, or gnats maybe?
ReplyDeleteIt's not nice being plagued by insects. I'm glad you've found a solution.
ReplyDeleteThat is a pretty good haul. It seems that you have made a good purchase.
ReplyDeleteWell, at least you cut down on the population a bit. It probably has places that are better than others.
ReplyDeleteHmmm. I have one of those zappers that look like a tennis racket plugged in. Maybe I need Zevo!
ReplyDeleteOh thanks for reviewing this device that I've been interested in, Kay. Glad you got rid of the birds roosting over your head and very happy to hear that the bites have ceased. Hope you have a beautiful weekend. Best wishes to the three of you from townside. Aloha!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it's working. We usually are careful about keeping our screens closed, but occasionally a mosquito gets in and then it gets me. I'm a bug magnet.
ReplyDeleteI am a proponent of the "whatever works" school of thought. :) Glad to hear that the bug situation has improved!
ReplyDeleteI used these in Mexico with all the mosquitoes during the rainy season. They didn't work for mosquitoes at all, other than the random one that just happened through. But they do work well for the little gnats and fruit flies.
ReplyDeleteThis is interesting because that's what we've discovered too.
DeleteYou certainly don't want too many unwanted insect visitors ... pleased the Zevo is working well for you.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
That is a great find! We don't have many biting bugs indoors. There are a ton outside. I can't go out and take moon photos.
ReplyDeleteOur houses have to manage -40 C. temps, so maybe we need to be more air tight?
Yes! We use Zevo! Our mosquitoes must be more different than yours. The Zevo attracts very few and trust me, we have lots! Richard says it's because they are too busy biting him.
ReplyDelete