Monday, February 17, 2025

Magic Eraser

I've written before about Google Photos app's Magic Eraser being able to remove distracting people from your photo backgrounds.


I just did it here with a photo of my nephew and his wife.


And here's what it looks like now.

(It looks OK if the people are small and in the background. If they're too big and too close to the foreground, it doesn't work well.)


One evening, Art and I saw a beautiful evening sky but there was that annoying, distracting light pole in the way. We tried to take photos of the sky from different angles but couldn't get a good shot. 


The following morning I happened to look at that photo from my Google Photos app.

Can you believe it? It didn't occur to me that I could remove something other than people. You kind of have to spell these things out to me.


And there it is! You have to click on Tools to get the Magic Eraser.

Yes, I could have removed it on Photoshop, but that would have required more effort on my part.


You know what this means, right?

You can't trust photos someone shows you these days. 

23 comments:

  1. In iPhone 16, Sue can do that right in the app. Or is it on her pro tablet? Or both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. We were amused around here because some bright kid moved the Parliament buildings in the background of a skating photo. Boy, were there ever a lot of comments. I have no problem with edits of any sort, as long as the person making them tags them. I don't tag simple crops, as the data is still the same, but I would definitely tag removing a post or power line or whatever (and I do. I use Corel PhotoPaint, but may take a good look at the magic eraser, as pixel painting can be some tedious.)
    So, to a point, you can trust me. Especially if I erase my ugly ancient self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been experimenting with the iPhone version of the same thing and have found it often doesn't work well unless like you said, the object is small and far enough away from the focus area. Close inspections usually turn up strange artifacts which might be a problem for enlargements but for blogging photos, it does an adequate job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew this or if I ever did, I forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My iPhone 16 Pro has what's called clean up with an eraser symbol. It does the same thing, I think? I'll have to try it sometime! I never think of doctoring photos because it seems a little like cheating. (even though it's not!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been experimenting with the iPhone version. It's quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. Your last comment about not trusting photos anymore. It's sad but yet good, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just do light editing and cropping, using whatever is in my computer, I guess Microsoft, with iPhotos. I have not tried erasing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I learn something new every day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good and bad come with the modern techniques available.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The things that are available these days ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think back to all those pictures I took and all my contortions to get "under the wire".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea that was possible with Google photos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you discovered the pleasure of removing those poles from your sky! It also works on electric wires crossing your photo too. Aloha from townside dear

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did good. I've never tried it before but now I might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is Magic Easer free?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kay, I've never heard of this. Can you get this by adding the Google Photo app magic eraser from your Apps or is it already on your iPhone? I have an iPhone SE (which is basically an iPhone 13 with home button). And if it's an added App, is it free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay of Musings: I feel like I’ve always had this app on my iPhone. It’s a Google Photos app. I checked my App Store and see it’s listed as Google Photos: Backup & Edit.

      Delete
  18. Wow, that is pretty darn cool. My problem is that I figure out these things and the next time I go to use them, I have completely forgotten how. . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are better at me using that! I rarely take stuff with my cell phone anyway. But I was stunned to find out that Photoshop...I use something similar and much less costlier called ON1..... ... anyway I could swap skies! How bizarre is that?
    However, I do LOVE using effects either through a funky lens or with a bit of photo editing or a digital background.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done. It's true, you can't trust what you see.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.