This is how it all started.
Our son and family were here for a month this summer. And in that time we incredibly celebrated 4 birthdays: our daughter-in-law, Art, me and our grandson.
Our son bought a balloon and lei for Art. For JK's birthday, Keola also bought a balloon and lei for him. Two days later which happened to be the day before they left in August, we celebrated my birthday.
JK told me I could have his lei and balloon since the flowers were still fresh and the balloon couldn't be taken with them on the airplane.
Here I am with JK's orchid lei and balloon.
Well...
Art attached the balloon to the back of the dining room chair and we were surprised that it was still gently swaying in September.
As I watched it's slow descent throughout the months I figured I'd take photos to see just how long the helium would stay alive and keep that balloon afloat.
But guess what.
Our dear cousins brought over several gifts for mom to celebrate her 96th birthday a couple of weeks ago.
And one of the things they brought...
Yup.
Another balloon!
It makes mom smile when she sees it along with the flowers they also brought.
POSTSCRIPT:
With all the worry for those in need during the government shutdown, etc. we did make monetary donations to the Food Bank. However, we were at Costco and thought we could actually add something that felt even more substantial. The Hawaii Libraries were all partnering with the Hawaii Food Bank to collect food for those in need until Friday.
It was fun looking through the aisles for something that we thought would be quickly used. KOKUA is Hawaiian for help.
What kind of food would you donate?



We have a similar balloon tied to my wife's chair. Her birthday was a month and a half ago. It still looks fairly full so I'm guessing it has a month to go yet.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how long those balloons can last! What a great smile, mom looks terrific!
ReplyDeleteBalloons don't seem to enter into our ceremonies unless it is a very special occasion. I think the last was my granddaughter turning 18, or maybe it was her grad.
ReplyDeleteBalloons take a surprisingly long time to deflate, which is nice, because the celebration lasts.
ReplyDeleteI like how JK thoughtfully shared his balloon and lei.
ReplyDeleteWe have a birthday balloon. I keep getting it refilled. Much fun! JOY!
ReplyDeleteThe balloon 🎈 lasted a long time.
ReplyDeleteHope you took note of a few wins for us in government. Maybe we’re not the only ones sick of this failed administration.
Kay of Musings: Good Morning, Betty! I’m very happy to meet you. Yes, we absolutely saw the wins this morning.😄
ReplyDeleteIt just shows you can't keep a good balloon down...
ReplyDeleteBirthdays well celebrated! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteBalloons are happy things. They "lift" your spirits. That's their job. :-)
ReplyDeleteSweet! Such a long lasting reminder of happy days.
ReplyDeleteWe have balloons here but nothing as gorgeous as the leis you have in Hawaii! Aloha!!
ReplyDeleteLots of aloha in that balloon! I put one out on the drive into my apartment complex for my brother arriving in January's cold, so he could find my location. Guess what? Cold air makes the balloon sink to the ground!
ReplyDeleteAs a hospital nurse, I'd have families put the balloon on the window sill or on top of bedside drawers behind the patient after they saw them. Why? Balloons visable at night in the darkened patient room are slooowly floating in the air drafts of the hospital room, and have scared my patients, thinking there's a ghost near their bed! Dementia and pain meds really scare patients about their balloon in the dark. Sigh. (Maybe keep that forever=alive balloon out of Mom's sleeping area.) Linda in Kansas
Kay of Musings: Thanks so much for the warning, Linda. I was looking at the timeline for my vertigo and it started about the time mom’s dementia started to get worse. Luckily, she does love going to what she calls her “Senior Club” which gives us a break to do the things we need to do.
Delete
ReplyDeleteagain this is hard to organize because everybody is different. I don't think donations will even begin to fill the bill.
I donate to our local food bank. I try to get the donations in when they will be most needed - before Thanksgiving and Christmas and Easter. The food bank also runs a 'new to you' store totally from donations, so we give to that, too. Sadly, one of the operators of it had to post a letter in the local paper lately asking that donations of clothing be clean and wearable, not just bags of dirty things. People can be thoughtless, but then there is you, choosing your food donation so carefully. Love it.
ReplyDeleteYou know Kay, I need to make a donation. Thank you for the nudge. The balloon story was sweet. I bought my oldest granddaughter her first balloon. Like you, we were amazed at how long it lasted.
ReplyDeleteMy helium balloons have never had that kind of staying power! Good for you for donating. My food bank told me that canned vegetables are always welcome. Also toiletries and TP.
ReplyDeleteMy sister always sent diapers to disater areas. Floods, tornados etc. Dee I give money and pray it goes to the cause and need. Your Mom looks so good! You and Art have my heart.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Dee. Diapers and I heard toilet paper is also really appreciated. Mom is very happy to hear your compliment. People are often surprised at how healthy she is. Unfortunately, her memory has deteriorated badly. Sigh...
DeleteHope you all had lovely birthdays! 4 birthdays is a lot, but that just means there is room for so much more fun.
ReplyDeleteHello Mocha, it's so very nice to meet you. This was certainly a summer of celebrations.
DeleteHey there, Kay. Nice to meet you as well! I hope you had a wonderful summer, but I hope your fall and winter are even better. Have a great week ahead.
Delete