We have two toilets downstairs. One is attached to mom's bedroom. The other is part of a non-functional teeny guest bedroom which is now just a room to house a dresser and refrigerator. It's a weird house.
Anyway, that guest bathroom toilet is not used very often except when we have family/friends get-togethers.
The other day, I was noticing a hard water ring along the waterline. The awful problem is that you are NOT supposed to use anything abrasive or chemically damaging on a Toto toilet and bidet which is what we installed.
I forgot to take a photo of the BEFORE (of the guest toilet) so I just took one of mom's toilet which I'd better work on too.
I was warned by several people that those Hawaii hard water rings are terrible and pretty much impossible to get rid of. Sigh...
But I looked online and saw this suggestion.
OK... I can give it a try.
I cut up a very old Trader Joe's kitchen cloth, dunked it in vinegar and laid it on the hard water ring. It said you should leave it on for an hour or two or overnight. I left it on overnight.
Well... it's not absolutely perfect, but unless someone sticks their head super close to the bowl, it might be difficult to see.
Maybe.
My daughter said that my son-in-law had cooked a very delicious Korean dish that unfortunately ended up smelling up the kitchen.
She tried this method but said that she found online that it should be 1 part water to 1 part vinegar which is what she did. And she said it worked perfectly.
I need to go buy more vinegar.
Sue uses vinegar a lot, even in the laundry, I think. Also for weeds, windows, cleaning produce etc. At least, I think that is the list. :)
ReplyDeleteI use vinegar also for so much cleaning. It is also awesome for floors when mixed with water. I use it to polish my old stove top too.
ReplyDeleteMy plumber said to use a half cup of bleach in our Totos - just let that sit in the water and use a brush. I let it sit overnight. He, too, said don't use something abrasive.
ReplyDeleteWorth a try!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteVinegar is good for all sorts of things.
ReplyDeleteYou catch more flies with honey than vinegar….but who wants flies!
ReplyDeleteThe only thing that I've found to (mostly) get rid of my hard water toilet rings is pumice. I'm sure that's too hard for your purposes. My mom was a big believer in vinegar. Weed-killing, cleaning, you name it.
ReplyDeleteGreat tips, thanks! I use vinegar to soak tools that are rusty. some take a lot longer but they come out looking pretty good! I then spray WD40 on it to prevent future rust.
ReplyDeleteVinegar is one of my favourite things; it kind of blows my mind that not only is it good on fries and fish (and lots of other things), it does this kind of thing too.
ReplyDeleteI think it is a great fix!!! And hopefully no one is sticking their heads in your toilet bowls!!! My gramma used vinegar to clean everything! Personally I mostly use it to make pickles, lol.
ReplyDeleteWe use a lot of vinegar in our household though I haven't used it for toilets or to freshen up the air. We just buy some toilet cleaner gel in a bottle and spray it around and let it set for awhile before scrubbing. For kitchen odors, we installed a large exhaust fan directly above the stove that can suck out a huge amount of air when on high speed. In fact, I've been walking a block away from our house downwind and can sometimes tell what my wife is cooking. I mainly installed the fan though not for odors but so I could run my pressure canner during the summer months for our garden excess and not fill the house full of hot steam. It works very well for that too.
ReplyDeleteI use a lot of vinegar....even for cooking sometimes :-)
ReplyDeleteThe calcium around toilets can be extremely hard to remove. Just ask me.
ReplyDeleteI use a couple of tablespoons of vinegar on my canned spinach when I eat it at the table. One idiot coworker nurse sprayed vinegar on a patient's sheets thinking it would hide the smell, instead of changing and cleaning the sheets! Took me two shifts to figure out why my patient smelled like shrimp. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDelete