Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fans of my Nephew, Shawn



My nephew, Shawn was born with retnoblastoma (cancer of the eyes). Both of his eyes were removed when he was 6 months old. It was a devastating time. Not significant but interesting that he and my son Jon were born in the same year on the 13th. Shawn was always a kind and loving boy who was determined to navigate the world on his own terms. He developed a love of music early on. I remember him banging away with chopsticks on an overturned bucket. He is now an entertainer in Waikiki. He's had 4 music CDs produced and is able to support himself very nicely, thank you.

My daughter was very eager to see Shawn perform so she treated us all to dinner at the Outrigger hotel in Waikiki at the Shorebird Restaurant where Shawn was performing. My brother and sister-in-law joined us and we had a terrific time. It was wonderful to hear Shawn sing wonderful pop and Hawaiian songs with fellow musician, Sam.



Here's a family shot. That's Art, my brother Dennis, my sister-in-law, Nancy in the back row. My mom, Tif and KC are in front. My mom was thrilled to be able to hear her grandson again.


Here's my brother, Dennis going up to tell Shawn we had arrived and were enjoying ourselves. KC loved the music too but I think she may have been a teeny bit more focused on the French fries that she got to have for the special occasion.



We thought it was fun to see Shawn reading and singing from a Braille Hawaiian songbook while playing his guitar with his other hand.

When Shawn was 6 months old, his blindness seemed tragic but now we see that he is happy and successful. He says he hasn't wished he could see because then perhaps he may not have had this gift of music and music is his life. I guess we truly must take the lemons that life hands you and turn them into lemonade. Shawn has. We can, too.

22 comments:

  1. Kay, what an inspirational story, and God bless Shawn. Attitude determines so much in life, and Shawn's is admirable, for sure!
    Isn't music the supreme wonder of the world?
    PS Congrats on Hawaii's Little League Team winning the World Championship...Wahoo for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay what a wonderful story of Shawn's determination to overcome his problems, you must be very proud of him. BTW you and your mom are without any doubt related :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one, Kay. Being in your family, Shawn must have received all the love and support he needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn's accomplishments are amazing, and would be for a seeing person, too. Your tribute to him is beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great example of gratitude...looks like a lovely time for your entire family coming together in support of shawn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds as though you had a very pleasant evening.

    It is often amazing how personal hardships sometimes turn into great achievements. Continued good luck to Shawn and his group.

    The mantra you posted yesterday is terrific. I especially loved #17 and, of course, as a teacher, #14. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent story! I agree with Shawn, we all have our own personal disabilities, some are just more obvious than others. What a terrific example to all of us that we need to dicover and develop our own unique gifts! Go Shawn - clearly the gift of teaching runs in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two wonderful blogs this evening Kay. If I was to be actively religious I think I would opt for Buddhism, or Quakerism. Both have similar attitudes to life, the world and other people and I try to live by that. Your nephew's story is inspirational, but so many people have to work through difficulties, not always obvious ones like Shawn's, and guts, determination and a loving family can provide such a strong foundation and motivation to overcome problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the 'heads up', Mare. I didn't know about the Little League winning. My husband says he's sure it'll be on the front page. He tells me it's a team from Waipi'o which is about 5 minutes away from here.
    Uh oh! He just walked in to show me. It's HUGE front page news here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay;

    So wonderful to see a grown-up picture of Shawn. He looks like he loves his life and what more can any of us ask!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kay! Shawn is a remarkable young man. He is truly an inspiration. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kay, thanks for sharing such a wonderful story with us! Good for Shawn-what a true miracle he is!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats awesome of his to overcome his circumstance. It such an inspirational story =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How proud you all are and with good reason. I always felt as a special education teacher that I had an obligation to be sort of an ambassador for all these wonderful kids. So many people just see the disability and not the abilities of people with challenges. And Shawn is a perfect example of that...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your nephew is an amazing and gifted young man! Your family has good reason to be very, very proud of Shawn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shawn is an inspiration, it makes you see what can be done when you make the best of things and don't use what most would consider setbacks as an excuse for self pity. I'm sure that a lot of different things played into his success, love from his family, talent, but maybe most of all his own strong character.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, Kay! What a powerful and inspirational story! Makes me want to get off my rear and do something positive, right now. Your nephew sounds like a wonderful young man. So glad you all are having so much fun and enjoying each other.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a truly wonderful post, Kay! Shawn is an exceptional person. This shows how God does not give us anything we cannot handle. While it was devastating for your family when Shawn was so little, he was given the strength to endure and to look at all he can do, rather than what he may not be able to do. I have a Bible verse on my sidebar and taped to my computer at work - "Do Not Neglect Your Gift" I Timothy 4:14. Shawn has certainly not neglected his gift. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm happy that Shawn has found his music, and his niche in life. It is amazing how we adapt, isn't it?

    I have a niece who was born with one arm. She manages to do absolutely everything everyone else does, and more. I've seen such things so many times. I'm sure Shawn is a happy man.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks you so much for sharing this poignant story with us, Kay. What a marvelous man. It's obvious his only gift isn't music. He has a gift for loving life.

    How proud your entire family must be of him. And how grateful he must be for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a wonderful story, Kay, and you tell it beautifully. It must have been a very special evening for all of you, Shawn included.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.