
I've watched that video of Susan Boyle singing on Britain's Got Talent several times after Peggy of Meggie's Musings posted it on her blog. I just can't seem to tire of hearing her sing.
I sent it to my son, Jon and he sent me the link to last year's winner, Paul Potts. Apparently, Paul has gone on to record a couple of albums.
I loved it all but something bothered me. I didn't like Amanda last year calling Paul a "lump of coal" or "frog." I also didn't like her saying to Susan Boyle, "Before you sang, everybody was against you." I don't think everybody was against her. I was smiling to think this everyday lady from a small town was getting to sing prime time. Piers just said something about, "When you were standing there with that cheeky grin...." I don't know.... I suppose both Piers and Simon say these things, too but it was just Amanda's comments I latched on to this time.
Still...It just didn't sit well with me. It must be a first grade teacher thing. I just didn't like it.
But I did LOVE Paul and Susan.
Yes, and Simon said that before she sang everyone was laughing at her.
ReplyDeleteBut isn't she fantastic? I'm so happy for her!
Totally agree, I made the same point over at my place. I think Holden was talking...well you'll see.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's stuff like you quote that makes me glad I don't have a television. But I do watch the Israeli news programs every night via the Internet, and they just now showed Susan Boyle's appearance. Great singing.
ReplyDeletea great message of not judging that the world has taken to heart...
ReplyDeleteWe saw her perform live on the programme, and our jaws dropped as she started to sing. What a lovely voice. I've never cared for Amanda Holden, both she and Piers Morgan seem to make comments for effect. At least Simon Cowell always seems to be honest in his comments, even if they're sometimes unkind.
ReplyDeleteI was thrilled to be able to watch her performance and am so glad for her. I saw her being interviewed today on television. She is quite a nice lady and can sing too.
ReplyDeleteYou're the 6th blog I visit that has linked Susan's perforance. I, too, loved, I don't pay attention to the comments -- they get paid to be critical. I got a huge charge out of Simon's face while she sang -- he was as stunned as he was last year with Paul Potts whose voice I really love but then I'm an opera buff! I like Britain's Got Talent better than ours -- it's so much more authentic.
ReplyDeleteI saw Susan Boyle on channel 2 news last night, and then heard her again in 3 blogs, plus people emailed the link to me, too. Absolutely gorgeous voice.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny how Susan has struck such a chord in all of us?
ReplyDeleteKay;
ReplyDeleteI just lost my comment again, darn it!
I agree that the judges, particularly Amanda, were very smug and judgemental.They all were rolling their eyes at Susan Boyle
before she sang.
I loved every second of her singing, still makes me smile!
I have been sent her YouTube by a friend but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I'm looking forward to listening to her voice. I agree with you on the comment. That says more about the character of this Amanda than anything else. I don't like unkind comments, it's very shallow thinking.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely refuse to let silly or unkind things that anyone said dull the beauty of this moment for me. It certainly didn't dull it for Susan. I waa impressed by more than her incredible voice. It's the power of her spirit that touched me most. What a gift she has, and what a gift she is to many of us who have been moved in some way...motivated, uplifted, encouraged. Even though I got choked up watching her performance (It's one of my absolute favorite songs)I found myself laughing and applauding and just washed in the joy of her moment.
ReplyDeleteIt's not a first grade teacher thing. It was so rude. It's one thing to think unkind remarks, but to say them aloud in front of an audience full of people defies common decency. It really annoys me that mankind is not more kind.
ReplyDeleteKay, I think Susan Boyle did have alot of faces made at her and they were mocking her before she sang, but they sure did change their tune didn't they! I really think Idol, Britain's Got Talent and all those type shows always make fun of people who are "different" and not the model types, which is unfortunate. I do watch Idol, but next year if I watch it I'm not watching the elimination shows, they make too much fun of people and sometimes are downright cruel.
ReplyDeleteSusan Boyle was amazing and I'm glad she took that courage to walk on that stage and showed everyone what she can do. =)
ReplyDeleteWhat a moment! At some time we're all judged unfairly or treated cruelly, and how sweet it would be to have a moment's vindication--Susan did it, and in front of the whole world, and I love her for that. You can't help but love her for her sweetness and her voice.
ReplyDeleteThose comments, jeez, Kay it's not just a teacher thing. It's painful enough to see someone suffer at someone else's words, but that's not what bothers me most about it--those auditioning chose to open themselves for feedback even if it's not kind, and Simon is often simply (if brutally) honest. What DOES bother me is that those comments seem to be what make these shows so popular: that people tune in to hear them. How depressing that is.
I agree - they made a number of remarks as if she was some sort of bizarre Yeti creature...I thought they were unkind and rude. I thought she had a lot of guts just walking out not to mention superb posture - and then, that voice. Wow.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you Kay re Amanda's comments. As though just on looks speople can be belittled and dismissed. Its a wonderful story and I am sure she is going to go on and do great things as her voice is brilliant.
ReplyDelete