Saturday, April 13, 2013

Robbery in Progress

I've always known I would not make a good witness to a crime, but now it's confirmed.

A couple of days ago, Art, Mom and I went shopping.  When we returned, we started opening up our house again.  We lock all the windows and doors before we leave so the house gets a little stuffy.

Suddenly Art called out to have me look out the window at something that looked awfully suspicious.

A man was running down the street carrying a white bag of some sort.  I thought about getting my camera, but he was running too quickly. I thought about calling 911, but thought we needed to see what we could first.  And was this truly a burglar?  The police could never come quickly enough any way.  The man ran down the street where a car came up and he jumped in and sped away.

Art said the man had come running from the backyard of our neighbor's house.  Mom said she noticed nobody was at home there when we returned from shopping because she didn't see any cars, but now there was a car.

Oh no... That sent a shiver up our spines.  We ran across the street and rang the doorbell.  Our neighbor answered the door in shock.  She had returned home while the robber was probably still there.  When the robber heard her enter, he ran out the escape hole where he had removed window jalousie slats to get in.  (This is why we replaced all our windows and doors when we moved here.)

We told our neighbor to call 911 right away.  When the police came, they asked a lot of questions.

Art was able to tell the officer clearly what the burglar was wearing, how tall, how much he approximately weighed, what color and type the escape car was and what that burglar did in that short time we watched what happened from our house.  Totally boggled my mind.  My brain couldn't take it all in.  I was so flustered.  Art said the fellow was stocky.  I thought he was skinny.  Art said the color of the car was a light metallic green.  I couldn't remember what kind of car it was at all. 

Later in the evening we brought over some dinner for our neighbors and learned that the robber had stolen a lot of their bank information.  Luckily our neighbor went right away to the bank where they helped him close accounts and protect them from identity theft.

This has really shaken us up.  We've evaluated again where we put things and have removed anything of worth to the safety security box.  The problem is me remembering where we put things.  I'll have to let our kids know so they can remind us.  One thing the Neighborhood Watch people told us was to NOT put things of value in the Master Bedroom because that's where robbers look first.

What we have especially learned is that we are not safe.

And that just creeps me out.

38 comments:

  1. I certainly hope they catch this guy. Remember when my car window was smashed and my purse stolen? They used my cards and made off with a lot of items (on Christmas Eve, no less!) before I was able to stop the cards. It is such a violation. I know the feeling you are having right now and I really feel for your neighbor. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I do remember, DJan. I've taken extra care now to hide things in the car if we leave anything in it. Your post was a kind warning to all of us.

      Delete
  2. What a feeling of violation. It was so lucky for your neighbors that the thief ran rather than tried to confront them--and very lucky that they could get to the bank right away.
    I am also similarly inattentive to details in those kind of situations...well, any kind of situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what a scary feeling!! Oh my gosh, you hear of this but one never thinks it could happen, I would be no better t identifying the crook, I would be too flustered,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's the thing about putting so much weight on witness' observations. Your brain can do such tricks on you if you're under stress.

      Delete
  4. keep your camera handy so next time you can take a video-that will help with the details. Safety deposit boxes are important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened in seconds. By the time I got my camera and turned it on, the thief would have been gone.

      Delete
  5. We took some stuff to our safe deposit box just this week, but I have some papers on my desk right now with my SSN and other personal information on it. This is a good reminder to get that taken care of. Home invaders are looking for personal information as much as valuables these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose it will eventually hit close to home no matter who you are at one point in life. Never had anyone break in my home, but I got a bat and golf clubs for self-defense in-case the police don't get there in time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nasty, nasty experience for your neighbour and very unsettling for all of you. Robbery is such a violation of one's home. Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sorry to hear about this. Art's amazingly observant, I'd be like you Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our important papers and valuables are mostly at the bank in the safe deposit box. We do have break ins in our neighborhood from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are burglaries all of the time around here of course, and we have had friends and family who were victims of theft. And then I have had a neighbor who just left the house unlocked, so that if they were robbed, at least the thieves wouldn't ruin her door or windows.
    We have been lucky so far, but I do think about it all of the time, wondering when I come home what I will find.
    Now for you and your neighbors the fear is even more real. I'm sorry.
    As to being a good witness, I think people who react emotionally will have a harder time noticing physical details than people like Art, who stay calm, cool and collected. You can comfort you neighbor while Art gives details to the police.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is an awful thought. One home we had in another city was broken into--a basement window was broken. Not much was taken and we assumed it was a neighborhood kid because of what they stole. But they were never caught. It does make you feel vulnerable. All you can do is be vigilant and aware.

    My youngest sister would be a far better witness than I would. She is very observant about details. Me, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we decided to move to Oregon and become apartment dwellers I decided to bring nothing of value. I brought no expensive jewelry, no artwork, nothing sentimental,I left it all in Texas with our daughter. They may get it from her house but they won't get anything from our apartment. We've lived here 8 years and have never had anything taken. One night Bob forgot to lock the car and someone went through it and I think touched every single thing in it. All the glove box contents were laid carefully in the floorboard and in the seat. Not a thing was taken, and there was more than $30 in loose change where they could easily have taken it but they did not. We still don't know what they were looking for but they were nice. Needless to say Bob is careful to lock the car now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A polite, neat thief would be ideal if they only stole money. Nowadays it's the identity that we worry about.

      Delete
  13. A close call for you. What was in the white bag, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to beef up security in my "office" too. I carelessly leave important information since I like to keep a paper trail for husband (bank statements and IRS information) since most transactions I do are done on the computer. I worry about our laptops being the primary target. We've been burglarized two times and each time I felt very violated. But that was a long time ago before the internet age, so personal informaion then was not as valuable I think. Only my jewelry was stolen and physical objects. We've bought some safes since. Having my dad home all day is a comfort. I think crime will only get worse as more people struggle to survive. I don't feel safe walking around our neighborhood like I did when we moved here over 20 years ago.

    L...w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My DIL thought her neighborhood was safe until a recent burglary at her neighbor's home. The intruder came in and walked upstairs IN her home while her neighbor was at home. She asked him what are you doing in here and he said he thought this was his friend's home and left. I don't think I could speak if I saw someone in my home. This left my DIL so shaken. Before this incident they thought their neighborhood was extremely safe since it sits on a hill and neighbors can view their home from all perimeters. Funny how that may not be a good thing now.

      L...w

      Delete
    2. Wow! That is really, really scary! Our neighbor is still so shaken that she can barely walk. My mother visited with her when Art and I bought some tofu, mango and okara to bring over for them. I wish there was more we could do for them.

      Delete
  15. I do remember when you went through this, Betty. I'm so glad you have the alarm system now. My daughter has a very secure one so that is very reassuring for us to know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was robbed three times in my old house. The police blamed high school kids from the school down the hill but no one really knew. I installed an alarm system from Alert Alarm, (Not an advertisement, I don't work for them.). It worked because there were no robberies after that. The crooks zeroed in on Hawaiian bracelets and jewelry. I've been in this house since 1999 and so far so good: no thefts.

    I also saw something peculiar once, but I was really asleep at the switch. Two men were walking right down the MIDDLE OF MANOA STREAM. Isn't that a way to cover your tracks? Anyway, there had been an assault up the valley, and I'll bet it was those guys. But the pieces didn't come together fast enough for me get the whole picture. I think I read about the assault the next day. They could have been intercepted at a bridge. But walking down the middle of a stream is not a crime, so I didn't call 911.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know... we were looking at the guy running down the street and wondered why he was running. Could it be a jogger? It's dumb, but we couldn't conceive of the fact that we were actually, truly watching a robbery in progress.

      Delete
  17. We don't own anything a robber would want, except our TV...maybe. And I have two ferocious dogs who would bark him to death. (One 5 lbs, the other 10 lobs).

    I am so detached from material things (except photos) I don't worry about robbery, although sometimes I worry about murder. (One of my friends and her husband were shot in their own home. He died, she recovered.) I would prefer to give all that I have to charity than to have someone snatch it, however. I too have good solid windows, and the streets around us are lit up like Christmas trees at night. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, reading of your experience as a witness, then reading of your blogging friends' experiences through their comments to you,...I'm feeling sad and depressed for the state of humanity. Once a student said in class, during a discussion about cheating, "If you don't know the answer but someone else does, what's wrong with taking the answer from him?" I guess that's the philosophy of many: if someone else has it and you want it, what's wrong with taking it? Sad. Just plain sad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a horrible, lifelong memory when confronting villains.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I recently read the best place to keep your valuables is in the laundry room. Guess it makes sense; it's the LAST place I'd think to look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! That won't work for me. Our laundry things are outside on the patio.

      Delete
  21. I recommend installing an alarm system on all windows and external doors. That's the secret. Our home has never been burglarized because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too just read where you should keep valuables in the laundry because thieves don't look there. Maybe a fake soap box? I have a list of what's in our safe deposit box at the bank, because I can't remember exactly. You've been so kind to help out your neighbors. If this was in daylight, it almost seems like they knew that those neighbors kept out their banking stuff. Makes the Rainbow salesmen seem tolerable. Just be cautious for yourselves, but I bet they won't target your house with the solid windows. About 30 years ago, I had my billfold stolen once: make copies or a list of what's in them, because it was a pain to replace things. I mostly miss the photos I had in it. DrumMajor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been evaluating where I'm putting all kinds of stuff. I'm changing hiding places too which could be a problem with me forgetting where I put them. I remember a friend of mine telling me she had the worst time settling her mother's estate. She had to go through EVERYTHING because she found money in her mother's shoes and didn't know where else she'd hid things.

      Delete
  23. wow this just brought back memories of when there was a robbery in my house.. I can imagine. thank you for the tip of not putting valuables in the master bedroom. i love your blog. I hope you visit mine as well. www.secretlilies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Being burgled is rotten for anyone, and it's not much easier for their neighbours either, even though we know it's unlikely that the same burglar will return to the same area. About five years ago we were burgled overnight, whilst we were asleep and that really shook me up. I still find it difficult to sleep in the house on my own, though we now have a burglar alarm which helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is I've been told that this street has been burglarized several times in the past. Doggone it!

      Delete
  25. Sorry your street was touched by crime. Art is a wonderful officer & gentleman who keeps his wits for sure! Sounds like your place is as secure as Art can make it. So please don't allow this to cast a a pall for too long. I'm so grateful you 3 are OK!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying so hard no to freak out about this.

      Delete
    2. If you let it get to you too much, the robber has won several times over. Do try not to be too upset, just be vigilant and make sure you have taken sensible precautions. After the first few days when I was a bit shaken up, I was determined not to let it get to me, though it's sometimes easier said than done.

      Delete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.