I read an article in the newspaper about a segregated prom that's been going on at Wilcox County High School in Georgia since 1971 when the schools were desegregated. Because school events could not be segregated these proms were organized by the parents.
Recently a group of four students, two black and two white came up with an idea to have an integrated prom. Therefore this year, after decades of separate proms for black and white students, they were able to raise enough in donations to rent a ballroom and get food and gift bags for every couple who registered to go. They received a lot of support from people around the country.
I'm in shock.
This is 2013. We have a black president. And still there are places in this country where parents are feeling the need to segregate?
We are so thankful that we lived in a community in Illinois where people tried their best to be accepting of everyone.
Granted it wasn't perfect in 1974 when we first moved to Illinois from Hawaii, but I was glad to see everyone working hard to gain harmony and acceptance.
Remember that song from South Pacific, You've Got to Be Carefully Taught? Thank goodness some of those kids didn't tolerate the bigotry and prejudice of their parents.
There's hope.
Recently a group of four students, two black and two white came up with an idea to have an integrated prom. Therefore this year, after decades of separate proms for black and white students, they were able to raise enough in donations to rent a ballroom and get food and gift bags for every couple who registered to go. They received a lot of support from people around the country.
I'm in shock.
This is 2013. We have a black president. And still there are places in this country where parents are feeling the need to segregate?
We are so thankful that we lived in a community in Illinois where people tried their best to be accepting of everyone.
Granted it wasn't perfect in 1974 when we first moved to Illinois from Hawaii, but I was glad to see everyone working hard to gain harmony and acceptance.
Remember that song from South Pacific, You've Got to Be Carefully Taught? Thank goodness some of those kids didn't tolerate the bigotry and prejudice of their parents.
There's hope.

This made me look back at some of the prom pictures of my step-grands--all white faces. I made me wonder.
ReplyDeleteThere is still a GREAT deal of racism in this country. Most pretend, but if you listen carefully to quiet conversations in some groups you can hear it. Sad but true.
ReplyDeleteShocking in the 21st century. "...and a little child shall lead them". Thankfully the young people are taking things beyond their elders prejudices.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how much and how little we have changed...
ReplyDeleteI agree with Lin Floyd,
ReplyDeleteInteresting that the news reports that some white parents still had a separate white prom. The deep South is still very segregated in their thinking. I'm appalled at some blatant bigotry responses on news articles. Such thinking, especially about gun control, is really displayed in responses. Makes the world seem too scary.
ReplyDeleteYep, Hawaii seems to be tackling open bigotry much better than the mainland.
Aloha, DrumMajor
I remember when we were in New Orleans and visited a plantation. We got to talking to a fellow and he told us that we're OK when we're in the tourist areas, but if we venture outside, we could hit areas of prejudice that are still alive and continuing to breed. It was quite disconcerting.
DeleteThank you!!! I have never understood racism -- hating anyone or any group because of his/here race or ethnic roots seems like a waste of time to me.
ReplyDeleteI hear racist remarks all the time, and not all from white people either. A lot of it is directed against Japanese. Don't worry. I always speak my mind on this and let people know how I feel! Because racism is racism.
ReplyDeleteI was also shocked at this article. I have family who have recently moved to Georgia and they are stunned at the amount of racism in that state.
ReplyDeleteI heard about the georgia prom a few weeks ago. There was also a prom a year or two ago where a lesbian wanted to take her girlfriend and the whole school staff freaked out. They at first tried to shut down the whole prom, and then arranged a small prom while at the same time had a big prom for everyone else in secret. 2013 people seriously!
ReplyDeleteIt's best not to read the paper lol....I rely so much on the internet for information I guess I missed that article, thank you.
ReplyDeleteL...w
I never saw South Pacific.
ReplyDelete"South Pacific" was startlingly progressive for its time. The planter's children were--gasp!--half Polynesian and the the girl was from Little Rock. The author, James Michener, spent time in Hawaii with his Japanese wife and bumped into restrictive codes--either a club or a house, I'm not sure--which some say played a role in his leaving Hawaii. He blasted Hawaii when he left and made enemies that way. I think it might have been buying a house in Kahala. Michener gave his magnificent collection of Japanese Ukiyo-ye prints to the Honolulu Museum of Art. Keep an eye out for the next exhibit. Prints are fragile and are on paper, so they can't be out all the time like oil painting. A local retired bank executive, Bill Ching, was the first Asian to join the Pacific Club. He went to my college--Colgate in New York. I've met him, but we never talked about the Pacific Club. The Outrigger Club used to be restricted. However, Duke Kahanamoku was allowed to join. How generous of them; he was only the most famous person in Hawaii and a great athlete. I've heard many stories from my wife about young romances in Hawaii that were busted up by the parents because of ethnic discrimination. It was standard practice for the previous generation. One of her cousins was sent on a trip to Europe to get her away from a local guy. People would even be ashamed of being Hawaiian--in Hawaii yet. I know of a case where a haole-looking Hawaiian hid the fact that her brother was on the police force because that would be a tip-off that the family was Hawaiian. It goes on and on. All of that stuff is long gone in Hawaii, officially at least, although I fear the intermediate and high schools are still hotbeds of racial bullying.
ReplyDeleteMichener was adopted by a Quaker family. Quakers are committed to equality. Their official name is The Society of Friends, which is more helpfully descriptive. I taught for 15 years at Wilmington College, a Quaker liberal arts college in Ohio. Much as I have grown to like Hawaii, it was the best job I've had in terms of reflecting my values. My youngest child is African-American and we adopted him when he was an infant. Now he's in his 40s. I carry around a low level of anxiety about what sort of crap does he face in daily life. There's a lot of negativity that float around for minorities in America, lets face it. He's a "no problem" guy which is one good strategy. His circle is the local soccer-playing subculture where he has made a name for himself and is well respected. He was good enough to be on the Honolulu Tsunami pro soccer team. I could write a book about our activities in the Civil Rghts Movement. To make a long story short, I was on the Selma to Montgomery March in 1965. You pushed one of my buttons :-) Thank you. Over and out....
Wow, Mr. Chapin -- I knew from this blog that you're an interesting fellow, but you are definitely one of the quiet angels improving this world! You HAVE written a book about your life so far, haven't you? Mahalo, DrumMajor
DeleteI am so very appreciative of your wonderful conversations and teaching moments, Hank. The more I hear from you, the more I respect and admire who you are and what you've done. Mahalo for adding so much depth and information to my posts. You are wonderful!!!
DeleteI'm feeling happy to be acknowledged tonight. This blog sets up the context for people to bounce off Kay's ideas. It's like a class where the teacher always has good ideas for things to do. Acknowledgement and appreciation are key ingredients to a rewarding life, and I thank you and reciprocate in the same way to you both.
DeleteIt takes a long time to change a culture. Sigh. Witness many Tea Partiers and assorted rednecks in northern as well as southern states. Just remember: We Shall Overcome.
ReplyDeleteSomehow I thought we were finally past such nonsense. Good to see the kids thinking for themselves. Maybe the cycle will be broken.
ReplyDeleteI was also shocked to see that there are still segregated proms in America. I thought it was illegal. Times change. Thanks for pointing this out, Kay. :-)
ReplyDelete