It was a busy day! We got up early to go to the Farmers Market and picked up some vegetables and fruits. While there we stopped to chat with some of our favorite vendors and met smiling neighbors. We bought some gobo-burdock root to share with Auntie Grace and daikon for Auntie Dorothy.
We were excited because we had finally finished our National Parks Trip Photo Album for mom. Art really feels it's important for us to print it because mom enjoys seeing all the photos and remembering so many of the details of the trip that she usually forgets until she looks back at the photos. Her job will now be to add her memories and write them in Japanese. We then write the albums on DVDs and send them to her siblings in Japan as well Sam (Art's Tokyo college buddy).
It's been a long slog to work as quickly as we can to select photos, research and write important things about each park, find names of wildflowers and format them on pages. Our album ended up being 103 pages! But it was worth it and we were DONE and ready to have it printed.
Since we were going off to town, we planned to also pick up my medication at Tripler Hospital. Everybody seemed to be smiling. We could find parking! The sun was shining brightly.
At Office Max, we saw our young cousin. He is in charge of their printing. He took our flash drive and said we could do our errands while he loaded and printed it. We had a wonderful chat before leaving.
Next we went to see Auntie Grace. She gave us Swiss Chard and lettuce from her garden. Cousin Arnold was there so we talked about possible trips we might some day take together.
We went back to Office Max and collected what our cousin had printed for us. The 103 copies were absolutely fabulous! Crisp, perfect colors. It's the best we've seen yet from any printer.
Then we went to see Auntie Dorothy and dropped off lettuce from Auntie Grace and the daikon we'd bought her and Uncle. There was a large Hayden mango that had fallen from her tree. I gave it to her and she laughingly said I should just take it home. We passed a parking lot and waved to a friend I hadn't seen in a while.
Art and I decided to stop at Burger King and use a coupon we had for a chicken sandwich. Everybody there was full of smiles. Our meal was great! I'd noticed a 50% off sale on their soft serve. It was only 79 cents! Art couldn't believe the HUGE cone she created and handed me with a laughing smile.
In the parking lot, we bumped into my friend Joanne from Zumba.
"Isn't it an amazing day? Everybody is so friendly and happy," said Art.
It really was. I wish I could bottle days like this for when the clouds roll in. Life is yin and yang. For all these wonderful days, I know life is a balance.
We brought the pages home and I put them in an album for mom. She was thrilled and ecstatic about the gorgeous photos and the memories that came flooding back.
She called me downstairs a moment ago. "OH NO!" she said. "You wrote June 1, 2013 instead of June 12, 2013 on the first page."
Mom used to work for a newspaper. She may not be able to read English well, but she can catch errors. Sigh...
Yin Yang. Oh well. It's been a glorious day! And you know what? I think she's getting a lot of secret pleasure out of being able to find our errors.
She's happy. That's the main thing... and so are we.
We were excited because we had finally finished our National Parks Trip Photo Album for mom. Art really feels it's important for us to print it because mom enjoys seeing all the photos and remembering so many of the details of the trip that she usually forgets until she looks back at the photos. Her job will now be to add her memories and write them in Japanese. We then write the albums on DVDs and send them to her siblings in Japan as well Sam (Art's Tokyo college buddy).
It's been a long slog to work as quickly as we can to select photos, research and write important things about each park, find names of wildflowers and format them on pages. Our album ended up being 103 pages! But it was worth it and we were DONE and ready to have it printed.
Since we were going off to town, we planned to also pick up my medication at Tripler Hospital. Everybody seemed to be smiling. We could find parking! The sun was shining brightly.
At Office Max, we saw our young cousin. He is in charge of their printing. He took our flash drive and said we could do our errands while he loaded and printed it. We had a wonderful chat before leaving.
Next we went to see Auntie Grace. She gave us Swiss Chard and lettuce from her garden. Cousin Arnold was there so we talked about possible trips we might some day take together.
We went back to Office Max and collected what our cousin had printed for us. The 103 copies were absolutely fabulous! Crisp, perfect colors. It's the best we've seen yet from any printer.
Then we went to see Auntie Dorothy and dropped off lettuce from Auntie Grace and the daikon we'd bought her and Uncle. There was a large Hayden mango that had fallen from her tree. I gave it to her and she laughingly said I should just take it home. We passed a parking lot and waved to a friend I hadn't seen in a while.
Art and I decided to stop at Burger King and use a coupon we had for a chicken sandwich. Everybody there was full of smiles. Our meal was great! I'd noticed a 50% off sale on their soft serve. It was only 79 cents! Art couldn't believe the HUGE cone she created and handed me with a laughing smile.
In the parking lot, we bumped into my friend Joanne from Zumba.
"Isn't it an amazing day? Everybody is so friendly and happy," said Art.
It really was. I wish I could bottle days like this for when the clouds roll in. Life is yin and yang. For all these wonderful days, I know life is a balance.
We brought the pages home and I put them in an album for mom. She was thrilled and ecstatic about the gorgeous photos and the memories that came flooding back.
She called me downstairs a moment ago. "OH NO!" she said. "You wrote June 1, 2013 instead of June 12, 2013 on the first page."
Mom used to work for a newspaper. She may not be able to read English well, but she can catch errors. Sigh...
Yin Yang. Oh well. It's been a glorious day! And you know what? I think she's getting a lot of secret pleasure out of being able to find our errors.
She's happy. That's the main thing... and so are we.

Loved the account of your day. Also loved your mom's sharp eye. As a former high school English teacher, I proofread wherever I go: business signs, t.v. screen banners, you name it. It's a curse.
ReplyDeleteJean, it IS a curse. As a former editor/proofreader, I have the same problem as you do.
DeleteMy problem is it's so hard to catch my own errors. I may have read over it three times and then I see it 3 weeks later.
DeleteSweet, aren't they. So good to remember and smile about. A lesson from Mom.
ReplyDeleteI am impressed with that project and the speed of completion. I am sure it is the best souvenir of the trip--errors and all.
ReplyDeleteOh yes. She's loving it right now. Every time I go into her room now, I see her looking at the album and contemplating what she's going to write. She's really wanting to share her experience with her siblings.
DeletePhew, I'm so glad you didn't send it all back to the printer.
ReplyDeleteGood job, Guys.
Gracious! It would be too expensive. I'm sure she's going to catch more errors. I gave her little post-it notes so she doesn't have to call me constantly.
DeleteLOL !
DeleteI like that 'an ordinary glorious day', sounds so happy!
ReplyDeletepart of your happiness is probably being home again...wonderful album!
ReplyDeleteYes, as an editor I also have that problem, but it's amazing the number of mistakes I make with my own stuff! I just don't see it and someone else has to point it out to me. What a wonderful thing to do for your mom. :-)
ReplyDeleteI was just commenting about that. I keep missing my own errors. I usually see it in my blog posts 2 days later. Arrrghhhh!
DeleteAh, Mom's oxygenation has recovered from the altitudes, and you know her mind is still sharp! (I used to edit a med journal; I'm stunned at the number of errors for news banners on local TV.) You cover lots of ground even on errands! Amazing work with the album. DrumMajor
ReplyDeleteMom sees errors in the Japanese news periodically which always gets her excited. She says they often use the wrong kanji and despairs that the younger generation don't know all their Chinese characters.
DeleteI think you should have clever Mom proofread anything you do. Just a thought. I gotta get to the Farmer's Market this week. A great place to visit. Dianne
ReplyDeleteShe doesn't want to sit in front of the computer to do the editing. She prefers seeing the hard copy. Sigh...
DeleteMuch easier for me too to proof on paper.
DeleteThose Yin Yang days are most special when we take the time to notice!
ReplyDeleteAren't 'ordinary' days wonderful! I think that's why I love being at home better than any holiday.
ReplyDeleteI do love the ordinary days when everything goes wonderfully.
DeleteWell that error found by your clever mom did little to change a really pleasant day and I am sure it made her day to feel useful. What a wonderful job they did on your photos.
ReplyDeleteSorry Kay, your Mom catching your error made me smile. I can read and read and read something I have posted about, and Gregg will come along and find a typo. What a lovely day you had, full of sunshine and happy smiles.
ReplyDeleteOh yes! Me too, with the errors! I love these days when everybody seems to be smiling and happy to see you.
DeleteThose "ordinary" days are indeed wonderful!! And how sharp-eyed your Mom is!! Made me smile, too! It is wonderful to come home even after a great trip, isn't it!! In the end there's no place like home!! Glad you had such a glorious day!! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteThose printed pages are beautiful. So colorful. I know your mom really enjoys the books you make, and I bet she even relishes that error. It's all part of the "story."
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I could swear she looks rather gleeful when she's able to catch an English error that we've missed.
DeleteLOL...as I read your closing words...my dad gets a kick when we goof too. On a trip to San Diego a few years ago, at the car rental lot, upon pickup, he saw a dent in the bumper that we didn't see and pointed it out. He actually had a lift to his walk after he saw how pleased we were that he caught it. I think it's because he felt useful and thought he was saving us from paying needlessly.
ReplyDeleteL...w
I do believe you're so right. It also makes mom feel her brain is still working well. Yae for your dad!!!
Deletenever tried the printing service at officemax/depot but I hear they're very good
ReplyDeleteYou and Art do amazing work! What a treasure your albums are.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a happy day you had, error and all.
It really was. I truly do wish I could remember days like this forever.
DeleteMay you all enjoy many many such pleasant days!
ReplyDeleteALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >
I would't worry about it saying June 1 instead of June 12...just think of it as being a NUMBER ONE trip for you all!!!
ReplyDeleteI know all days can't be wonderful but that is what I am wishing for you! x
I know what you mean about your mom finding errors. I find them all the time. It's so frustrating. What are they teaching these kids in school????
ReplyDeleteI love how you respect and adore your mom.