We had our delightful breakfast at the Quality Inn and left the motel by 8:00. The 2.5 hour drive was a little longer than planned because we stopped so often for photos.
Mom kept exclaiming at what a large country the U.S. was and how amazed she was by all the natural beauty around her. We couldn't help laughing when she kept saying, "Japan has nothing like this!"
We arrived at Bryce Canyon National Park around 11:00. Art really made use of his senior pass on this trip. We bought lunch at the general store.
We then went to the Yovimpa and Rainbow Points at the end of the scenic route and stopped at all the sights along the way back. The mountain above was quite striking, but I've forgotten the name of it.
Black Birch Canyon was impressive.
Ponderosa Canyon was colorful.
Agua Canyon had interesting shapes and colors.
Natural Bridge was not formed by a stream like true natural bridges. More accurately an arch, it was carved by rain and frost erosion acting from the top of the rock.
Farview Point offers views of plateaus and mountain.
Paria View looks over hoodoos in an amphitheater carved by Yellow Creek.
Hoodoos are pillars of rock, usually of fantastic shape, left by erosion.
Unfortunately we shouldn't have done this walk because it exhausted mom.
However, mom really enjoyed seeing all the wildflowers around us.
Bryce Point! By the time we got here, mom was exhausted. We told her she could wait in the car while we checked it out. When we saw the view, we went back and told mom it really was something she should see but she could decide. With both of us holding her arms, we supported her to the look-out. We should have come here first!!!
I took photos with the iPad which captured colors well, but the wind kept blowing it and making it wobble. It was also awkward to hold. The resolution of an iPad photo on a bigger screen was also not as good as photos taken by my larger Canon.
We ate dinner at the lodge and then Art and I went to get breakfast supplies for the following morning. Mom was able to rest and have some peace and solitude for a short while.
We saw a short horned lizard outside our lodge and mule deer in the darkening evening.
It was beautiful.
Mom kept exclaiming at what a large country the U.S. was and how amazed she was by all the natural beauty around her. We couldn't help laughing when she kept saying, "Japan has nothing like this!"
We arrived at Bryce Canyon National Park around 11:00. Art really made use of his senior pass on this trip. We bought lunch at the general store.
We then went to the Yovimpa and Rainbow Points at the end of the scenic route and stopped at all the sights along the way back. The mountain above was quite striking, but I've forgotten the name of it.
Black Birch Canyon was impressive.
Ponderosa Canyon was colorful.
Agua Canyon had interesting shapes and colors.
Natural Bridge was not formed by a stream like true natural bridges. More accurately an arch, it was carved by rain and frost erosion acting from the top of the rock.
Farview Point offers views of plateaus and mountain.
Paria View looks over hoodoos in an amphitheater carved by Yellow Creek.
Hoodoos are pillars of rock, usually of fantastic shape, left by erosion.
Unfortunately we shouldn't have done this walk because it exhausted mom.
However, mom really enjoyed seeing all the wildflowers around us.
Bryce Point! By the time we got here, mom was exhausted. We told her she could wait in the car while we checked it out. When we saw the view, we went back and told mom it really was something she should see but she could decide. With both of us holding her arms, we supported her to the look-out. We should have come here first!!!
I took photos with the iPad which captured colors well, but the wind kept blowing it and making it wobble. It was also awkward to hold. The resolution of an iPad photo on a bigger screen was also not as good as photos taken by my larger Canon.
We ate dinner at the lodge and then Art and I went to get breakfast supplies for the following morning. Mom was able to rest and have some peace and solitude for a short while.
We saw a short horned lizard outside our lodge and mule deer in the darkening evening.
It was beautiful.
.jpg)

.jpg)










Kay it is so heart warming the way you and Art care for your Mum, so many parent sit in nursing homes far too young,far from family and life, a forgotten people, I'm sorry your Mum found it exhausting but by the smile on he face she was well pleased with the adventure, I enjoyed your photos so much, what an amazing part of the country!
ReplyDeleteI feel exactly the same way Laurie does! I thought of how she flourishes under your loving care.
DeleteYou know what? She is loving being able to tell everybody about the trip. She's still in awe of all the incredible scenery she saw. The funny thing is (well... Not so funny) Art got very sick a couple of days after our return and then a few more days later I got the same intestinal problem. But Mom? She's doing just fine and puttering all over the place waiting for us to finish working on the trip album so she can show everybody.
DeleteAll three of you are real troopers.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the fun new word hoodoo.
Your Bryce Point photos are amazing and your happy faces in the pic says it all. Lovely pictures. I can understand what your mom said, in fact we think it all the time when we drive around the Southwest (the mountains and expanse is unique). I love desert mountains more than the mountains anywhere else including ours in Hawaii. Husband will usually say that's why Queen Liliuokalani couldn't understand with all this land blah blah blah I never checked whether he got the facts right lol
ReplyDeleteL...w
Those mountains are really spectacular!
DeleteOne impressive piece of country, isn't it. Nothing like Illinois or Ohio. Or Hawaii.
ReplyDeleteWell, that altitude would have taken a lot out of anybody! Other than Art, of course. Glad she got to see it, and that everyone enjoyed themselves so much. :-)
ReplyDeleteUtah is colorful...that's for sure.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful views; some look like stone flowers sprouting from the levels below. Hope it wasn't too hot.
ReplyDeleteOklahoma has little rock formations called rose rocks. Some are big and in museums, some are tiny and used in wire art sculpture. Found one in the red dirt in the backyard of a house my parents were building. If you didn't see one, google rose rock and show Mom.
Glad you had a good time; but I prefer lush greenery instead of rocks. The Oklahoma red dirt is very hard to get out of socks. DrumMajor
Several of our white socks are still pink! No, we didn't see the rose rocks. Darn! They are really beautiful.
DeleteSuch beautiful country. The altitude may have been part of the problem for your mother. I have trouble adapting to high altitudes as my sinuses don't adjust properly, quick enough. It makes my head hurt and I feel terribly tired.
ReplyDeleteInspiring! So great to see you 3 there :-)
ReplyDeleteALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° > <3
> < } } ( ° >
> < 3 3 3 ( ' >
><}}(°> ~
Such beautiful country. I know how it is -- the need to stop and take and picture around ever corner.
ReplyDeleteOh goody, we are traveling again. I do enjoy your trips. That view really was amazing and so glad you got your Mom to see it. We can always rest.
ReplyDeleteIncredible country. The wide open spaces. I'd like to take one of those campers around there sometime.
ReplyDeleteOh, I do love your photos of Bryce Canyon, Kay!! It's one of my favorite places and you have captured the drama of it so beautifully!! I, too, enjoy your trip so much! I haven't been on line quite as much since my move, but hopefully, things will begin to get back to normal -- whatever that is these days!!! Have a lovely week!
ReplyDeletelove the canyon
ReplyDeleteJust amazing. truly.
ReplyDeleteCheers from Cottage Country!
I really appreciate all the photos of these national parks. My son Richard and his family visited them two years ago and the sites look familiar. Youngest grandson Sean is collecting the patches from the parks. Dianne
ReplyDeleteIsn't Bryce just amazing? We were there last year. I hope we can get back there again.
ReplyDeleteBryce was Art's favorite national park on this trip. We were blown away by Bryce Point. It was spectacular.
DeleteMake your trip hassle free and enjoyable with Bryce Canyon tourist maps and travel information guide, if you are traveling here.
ReplyDeleteBryce Canyon Map