We weren't positive that we'd be having our Zumba holiday party. Our chief organizer, Myrtle has had a rough couple of months after her daughter became critically ill. Myrtle and her family were in our thoughts the entire time as she and her family spent long weeks in California where her daughter was treated.
However, when Myrtle returned, she was determined to give us holiday joy because our enjoyment lifted her spirits as well.
Myrtle had already reserved a table for us this past summer at the Waikele Country Club.
When cousin Renee and I arrived, we saw that she and a couple of other Zumba buddies had already decorated the table for us.
It was absolutely extraordinary!
There were twelve of us.
Each place setting was full of favors that everybody brought.
The favors are a Hawaii custom that I was not familiar with last year and arrived empty handed. Renee tried to bail me out by saying her favor was from the both of us.
I was prepared this time.
The country club is very beautiful, but I thought the prices were reasonable. This steamed salmon (Chinese style) with cilantro (it's called Chinese parsley in Hawaii) with won bok, carrots, green onions, seared with hot sesame oil and a dash of shoyu was just $13.95. I loved it! I'd order it again. I cleaned my plate!
Myrtle had several games for us to play.
She gave us a sheet of green construction paper which we had to fold in half. We were then told to put the paper behind our backs and tear out a Christmas tree. She then collected them, wrote our names behind the tree and had us put stickers on which we thought was best. We had no idea which was our own. Would you believe I won? I couldn't believe it!
We then had a jan ken po (paper, stone, scissors) contest. Alyce won and was crowned the Queen of Jan Ken Po. It was hilarious!
There were so many fun things for us to bring home.
I received this wonderful bath set for my grab bag.
I got the large holiday Ziploc containers for my Christmas tree prize.
And look at all these favors!!! There was a homemade fruit cupcake, homemade dark chocolate rocky road, collapsible mirror, mochi, ceramic trivet, candy bars of all kinds, senbei and I filled a gift bag with candies and a Trader Joe's kitchen towel.
And here are the lovely, wonderful friends that I keep healthy doing Zumba with every Monday and Friday.
And this is Myrtle, who despite all the trials and hardships she was facing and had faced, felt she had to give us this day of happiness.
She did. She also reserved a table for December 10, 2014 when she'll organize the 3rd annual Zumba party.
I was telling my husband, Art about the party and mentioned one of the games that was played.
Myrtle asked us to tell everybody one thing we'd never done that we think other people would most likely have already done. Everybody who'd done it would have to give you a toothpick point from their stack.
Some of the attempts were: never learning to ride a bike, never being aboard a ship, never staying at the California Hotel in Las Vegas, never taking a hike, etc. I said never driving to the nearby Don Quijote supermarket. I was two toothpicks short of winning.
Art was frustrated trying to think of something he hadn't done that most of his friends had already done. What would you say?
However, when Myrtle returned, she was determined to give us holiday joy because our enjoyment lifted her spirits as well.
Myrtle had already reserved a table for us this past summer at the Waikele Country Club.
When cousin Renee and I arrived, we saw that she and a couple of other Zumba buddies had already decorated the table for us.
It was absolutely extraordinary!
There were twelve of us.
Each place setting was full of favors that everybody brought.
The favors are a Hawaii custom that I was not familiar with last year and arrived empty handed. Renee tried to bail me out by saying her favor was from the both of us.
I was prepared this time.
The country club is very beautiful, but I thought the prices were reasonable. This steamed salmon (Chinese style) with cilantro (it's called Chinese parsley in Hawaii) with won bok, carrots, green onions, seared with hot sesame oil and a dash of shoyu was just $13.95. I loved it! I'd order it again. I cleaned my plate!
Myrtle had several games for us to play.
She gave us a sheet of green construction paper which we had to fold in half. We were then told to put the paper behind our backs and tear out a Christmas tree. She then collected them, wrote our names behind the tree and had us put stickers on which we thought was best. We had no idea which was our own. Would you believe I won? I couldn't believe it!
We then had a jan ken po (paper, stone, scissors) contest. Alyce won and was crowned the Queen of Jan Ken Po. It was hilarious!
There were so many fun things for us to bring home.
I received this wonderful bath set for my grab bag.
I got the large holiday Ziploc containers for my Christmas tree prize.
And look at all these favors!!! There was a homemade fruit cupcake, homemade dark chocolate rocky road, collapsible mirror, mochi, ceramic trivet, candy bars of all kinds, senbei and I filled a gift bag with candies and a Trader Joe's kitchen towel.
And here are the lovely, wonderful friends that I keep healthy doing Zumba with every Monday and Friday.
And this is Myrtle, who despite all the trials and hardships she was facing and had faced, felt she had to give us this day of happiness.
She did. She also reserved a table for December 10, 2014 when she'll organize the 3rd annual Zumba party.
I was telling my husband, Art about the party and mentioned one of the games that was played.
Myrtle asked us to tell everybody one thing we'd never done that we think other people would most likely have already done. Everybody who'd done it would have to give you a toothpick point from their stack.
Some of the attempts were: never learning to ride a bike, never being aboard a ship, never staying at the California Hotel in Las Vegas, never taking a hike, etc. I said never driving to the nearby Don Quijote supermarket. I was two toothpicks short of winning.
Art was frustrated trying to think of something he hadn't done that most of his friends had already done. What would you say?







That stumps me, too, Kay. I cannot think what it could be, that I haven't done that most of my friends have. I love the Christmas party, and Myrtle is an inspiration. I hope all turns out well for her.
ReplyDeleteI always seem to be two toothpicks short, so I guess I wouldn't even try. Ha
ReplyDeleteWonderful times! Lots of things I have never done, too cautious unfortunaltely!
ReplyDeleteThe wasn't too hard to find something you haven't done, but it was difficult because it had to be something everybody else had done.
DeleteChristmas came early didn't they! Great photos.
ReplyDeleteIt sure did! Thanks, John.
Deletethinking...lol! Looks like a wonderful party with friends...
ReplyDeleteI'm stunned the paper Christmas trees turned out so well, considering the method they were made.
ReplyDelete(I want one of the chairs from that place!)
I've only seen pink salmon; didn't know there was plain white salmon.
What a lovely bunch of friends, and so amazing Myrtle can move forward; prayers said for her daughter to regain health.
That's a tricky question. I never learned to play piano, but not all of my friends want to.
I've never stood under a real Hawaiian waterfall (on the bucket list,) but wonder how many Hawaiian friends have done so.
That brand of Bath & Body Works has a wonderful Plumeria line, that now has to be ordered from their Classic collection. Not every brand's plumeria really smells like the live flower. Doesn't matter if it's expensive or cheap.
Thanks for letting us join the party!
DrumMajor
Art says he thinks it's farmed and not wild salmon. I don't know, but it was good.
DeleteMyrtle is pretty darn amazing! She actually enjoys organizing these parties and finds the best part watching our enjoyment.
I never learned to play the piano either, but I don't know a whole lot of people who know how to either. And gracious! I haven't stood under a Hawaiian waterfall either. Ummmm.... wait a minute... I just may have when I was in college. I can't remember for sure.
Fabulous party!
ReplyDeleteI would easily win at the game where I've not done something all my friends have done. Taking a cruise or going on any kind of boat. I just don't do anything that involves water.
No kidding? Someone did mention that at the party and we were all amazed.
DeleteWhat a lovely time you had, and I love your party games. I've never seen the film Titanic; I imagine that there aren't many people who haven't seen it.
ReplyDeleteNow THAT is a good one, Amanda!
DeleteMy pool buddies had a party last Friday, but yours looks more colorful. Dianne
ReplyDeletethe bike one reminded me of my father trying to teach how to ride. It was pretty bad and scary. After he passed away I had to self-teach myself through trial and error
ReplyDeleteGood for you! That can't have been easy.
DeleteI never learned to swim. And a lot of other tings too.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a lovely bunch of ladies in your Zumba class!
Gracious! This is ANOTHER thing you and I have in common, Linda. One of these days, we must meet in person.
DeleteLooks like fun. It was really nice of your teacher to put this together for you in spite of her troubles. I'll be going to a holiday event at the Hilo Orchid Club and will be reporting on it next week.
ReplyDeleteActually, Myrtle is not our Zumba teacher. She's just one of our group who happens to enjoy putting on these parties for us. Our group is now called the Corner Gals because we hang out in the corner to chat before class.
DeleteWhat a great photo of you ladies!
ReplyDeleteA great time was had by all. Lovely photos Kay!
ReplyDeleteYou have some great relationships with enthusiastic ladies. It must help keep you young.
ReplyDeleteIt does keep me happy.
DeleteI haven't been through the panama canal....but I will fix that.
ReplyDeleteThe problem with the game is that not many other people will have been through the Panama Canal either.
DeletePS: I agree about the blog. There's only so much time...but isn't it wonderful that we are well and positive. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Kay, Looks like a fantastic party… Such a great group of friends…. Sounds like you all have lots of fun together each week.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy
great gathering with friends and family. I though someone will dance because zumba here is a popular exercise-dance :)
ReplyDeleteIt's the same here in Hawaii. We all go to Zumba for exercise. However this party was at a nice restaurant and we were not dressed for sweaty dancing. :-)
DeleteI have never skated on the canals near the windmills. And never swum in one of the Dutch rivers. Most of my friends have, I presume(?)
ReplyDeleteYour party must have been wonderful. I have never heard of zumba.
Have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!.
I will be away in Oz from 17th December till 28th January. I 'll fly with my daughter and her family, who were here for my 80th birthday, which we celebrated some weeks ago.
Love and peace! Wil
Although none of my Zumba buddies would have done that either you would probably have gotten a lot of toothpicks in the Netherlands. Have a great time Down Under, Wil.
DeleteSo many variations of the Christmas tree cuttings!
ReplyDeleteHow about --I never dyed my hair?
Hmmmm... Good one, Dina. You would probably get a lot of toothpicks, but not mine. :-)
Deletesounds like a wonderful party, well planned and executed!! and a great picture of all the girls!!
ReplyDeleteSome good ideas for holiday games here...now wish I was at a party!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun...... Thank you for the support Kay.... Hugs
ReplyDeleteWhat a lot of fun! Some great ideas there. What a wonderful lady your zumba teacher is.
ReplyDeleteYou are a lovely person. I workout alone in my basement most mornings.
ReplyDeleteNot as fun as with friends.
Most of my friends travel. Not me with 4 cats.
You are much fun to follow!
Happy season you creative Lady!:)
ReplyDeleteI've never been to Las Vegas. (And most likely never will!).
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun party.