We finally finished the photobook of our family gathering this summer and sent it off to Costco to print. It is almost 100 pages covering five weeks of being together. I've written the book in KC's voice. Now that she's able to read well, I thought she would enjoy reading it herself.
And now... I guess I'm able to have that closure and can write this last e-mail about their stay.
They were leaving on a Sunday evening and KC wanted her last day to be a beach day.
She loved directing her dad and granddad in building a sand fort.
I watched from underneath a shady tree with my daughter, Tiffany.
It was good to have that time together.
Once the fort was completed to her satisfaction, they let the waves claim it.
I asked her why she didn't build it where it would be out of reach of the waves.
She said she thought it should go back to the ocean and they could build another one when they returned to Hawaii.
So the fort was returned to the ocean and KC and her family returned to Chicago.
The hardest thing for me to bear were the tears overflowing from my granddaughter's eyes. But when I looked at my daughter, I could see her tears brimming and dampening her cheeks as well. The hard hug my son-in-law gave us almost broke me too but I waved as cheerfully as I could as we drove off.
When we returned to the quiet house, we saw this message from KC on our weekly schedule white board in the kitchen. On Friday and Saturday, she drew small faces showing her dread of the final farewell. On Sunday was a sad face.
And down at the bottom was a message that is still up after a month and a half.
It might still be there when they return again next time.
And now... I guess I'm able to have that closure and can write this last e-mail about their stay.
They were leaving on a Sunday evening and KC wanted her last day to be a beach day.
She loved directing her dad and granddad in building a sand fort.
I watched from underneath a shady tree with my daughter, Tiffany.
It was good to have that time together.
Once the fort was completed to her satisfaction, they let the waves claim it.
I asked her why she didn't build it where it would be out of reach of the waves.
She said she thought it should go back to the ocean and they could build another one when they returned to Hawaii.
So the fort was returned to the ocean and KC and her family returned to Chicago.
The hardest thing for me to bear were the tears overflowing from my granddaughter's eyes. But when I looked at my daughter, I could see her tears brimming and dampening her cheeks as well. The hard hug my son-in-law gave us almost broke me too but I waved as cheerfully as I could as we drove off.
When we returned to the quiet house, we saw this message from KC on our weekly schedule white board in the kitchen. On Friday and Saturday, she drew small faces showing her dread of the final farewell. On Sunday was a sad face.
And down at the bottom was a message that is still up after a month and a half.
It might still be there when they return again next time.



Until you meet again. Thank goodness for skype and the internet.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful surprise on your message board. So many precious memories.
ReplyDeletehow sweet and special can be your relationship with family...
ReplyDeleteNow you've got tears coming from my eyes, too! So sweet and poignant. I think you have the best family, Kay. You have every right to be proud of them. :-)
ReplyDeleteKay, I would definitely keep it up. Nothing like sweet messages from grandchildren to make your day.
ReplyDeletethat was very sweet of her
ReplyDeleteWonderful memories for all of you, and a treasure fore years to come.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteAh, time with family!! The most precious of all!! Beautiful post and such lovely memories! Thanks for sharing, Kay!!
ReplyDeleteI let the fingerprints on the sliding glass door stay for quite awhile after the kids leave. I still have the pictures Leeya made when they were here in July on the refrigerator. So, yes, leave KC's darling message and think of her love every day.
ReplyDeleteThat's beyond lovely.........thank you. My eyes are leaking too.
ReplyDeleteI might give it a new home and have a new message board. I have a postcard on my wall from a grandchild: Dear Granma, Your my Best Friend. All the Y's are backward and stamps cost 39 cents. She's my 7th grader now.
ReplyDeletethis is the saddest but cutest story. almost made my eyes leak!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. Family is a precious thing.
ReplyDeleteKay, you have shared a great blessing with us too. Now my eyes are wet
ReplyDeleteALOHA from Honolulu - Side
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=
it is lovely to have a nice family.
ReplyDeleteWell, my granddaughter, who is all grown up, is living with me now. Fortunately she loves Hoku, my dog, and is happy to be helpful.
ReplyDeleteThat's fabulous, Hank! I love it. What a blessing if someday KC could come live with us too... before she starts her own family that is.
DeleteThat's why I mentioned it. It's in the cards!
DeleteThe goodbyes are so hard. Thank goodness for the sustaining great memories.
ReplyDeleteOk, that made my throat close up. Wow. You have such a marvelous relationship with your kids and KC. You might be the best grandma ever.
ReplyDeleteGood for KC. But, give me a choice between Chicago and Hawaii, and guess what it might be. Bet she will be eager to return to see you.
ReplyDeleteThey make super grand kids in Chicago!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful family you and your children and grandchild make. And you make lovely stories to share too.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful activities you did together. She'll remember them, and some that you won't remember.
ReplyDeleteI learned to use tools and be crafty from an early age with my Dad. Your place is special for her, with adventures better than the ones at any summer camp. Sooo glad they all got to come and get a vacation at home.
My parents' 6 grandkids had a special sanctuary at their place, as it was where my folks started retirement and we kids never officially lived there. When my folks died, the stories of previously unknown adventures were amazing. And which items each grandkid (then ranged in age 40 down to 23), cherished out of all of the stuff in their house was surprising to we kids, too. My son wanted the stuffed swan he gave my Mom for her bathtub, not any of the expensive items. At 26, he still has it in the curio display cabinet in his home. But the stories from the "grown" grandkids were a hoot. They got away with much more mischief than we kids of course.
You're a pretty tough Grandma if you kept from crying. Oooh Boy, that's rough. I was sobbing by the time I left my old high school Band Director, as was he, by the time I got on my return flight home from Portland.
Cute pics. Make lots of memories, KC will pick which ones are important later. And, they'll remember stuff you said, that you forgot you told them. Things you didn't think were absorbed at the time.
Lovely family; special grandparents. DrumMajor
That's so wonderful that your son chose what was closest to his heart instead of something materialistic. You've raised him beautifully.
DeleteHi Kay, KC is an old soul, huh? What a pleasure and a treasure. You are all so fortunate. Hugs, Holly
ReplyDeleteI do wish we didn't have to live so far away though. I guess we didn't expect to have this kind of pain when we moved to Chicago all those decades ago.
DeleteSo, your own dear Mother probably quietly had the same pangs when you moved to Chicago. At least she knew you'd be relatively safe, after the sometimes difficult childhood she experienced.
Delete(Must admit, the storage unit is full of good materialistic furniture and lamps from my folks that the kid and his bride wanted for when they get their own house. Hopefully that will happen after he starts being a veterinarian next May!) There was a lot of stuff to split and sort amongst we 3 kids, kept the grandkids happy in our round-robin dividing up of stuff: One used a laptop to type what went to which person, another put sticky notes on the items.
DrumMajor
What a great and wonderful family you have, Kay! This story is a tribute to your whole family. The book you composed is so precious! The tears you shed when you took leave of your daughter's family are so familiar to me. Every time I say goodbye is a difficult moment for us. We never know if the next year we will see each other again. I wish you all the joy and love as far as the ocean and a long and happy life.
ReplyDeleteWe all have grown to love KC and the rest of your family and my tears also are overflowing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely granddaughter you have there for leaving such a sweet message for you both. Hope her message will still be there waiting for her next visit.
ReplyDeleteA lovely idea to do a book. You have a wonderful family.
ReplyDeleteI love reading about your family Kay. So much love! It is beautiful to see.
ReplyDeleteKC left a universal message.
ReplyDelete