Art volunteers for Meals on Wheels once a week, bringing hot meals to people who are unable to prepare food for themselves. He does not accept any compensation for this but his clients sometimes insist that he accept a small gift that they might have made.
One kind lady asked if he set up a Christmas tree. When Art said he did, she smiled and gave him these handmade ornaments that she made for him. She said it was to put photographs of our two grandchildren in them.
It's so adorable. I'm going to have to find the perfect photos to put in them.
I wonder if the hot, humid temperatures we've been having is making her wish for the cooler weather of December.
I certainly hope the weather is cooler by then.
Another Musing Thought:
I just saw this in the New York Times:
One kind lady asked if he set up a Christmas tree. When Art said he did, she smiled and gave him these handmade ornaments that she made for him. She said it was to put photographs of our two grandchildren in them.
It's so adorable. I'm going to have to find the perfect photos to put in them.
I wonder if the hot, humid temperatures we've been having is making her wish for the cooler weather of December.
I certainly hope the weather is cooler by then.
Another Musing Thought:
I just saw this in the New York Times:
"Hungary’s prime minister, Viktor Orban, was criticized online and in person on Thursday for writing in a German newspaper that it was important to secure his nation’s borders from mainly Muslim migrants “to keep Europe Christian.”I was wondering why Hungary was being so cruel about blocking its borders so fleeing refugees from war torn countries (mostly Syria) could not go through Hungary to go to other countries. Now I see he was trying to be what he thought was a good Christian.
Those are pretty ornaments. How clever!
ReplyDeleteYes, hot and humid. I'm sticking to my chair arms as I type this. Yesterday we had the most rain here since 1906. I'm here, up on top of the Point, and the rain poured over the sidewalks. Homes up here were flooded. I won't tell you how wet I got when I grocery shopped. LOL
ReplyDeleteThose ornaments are nifty. I only put up tiny tree at Christmas these days, but i think you could hang them anywhere. They would make great parrot toys. My parrots would destroy them in no time...wicked creatures! Perfect wether here, knock on wood.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet!
ReplyDeleteThese are so cute. They will be a great remembrance of this sweet lady.
ReplyDeleteYou & Art deserve appreciation!
ReplyDeleteALOHA
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=
how sweet, Christmas sounds appealing now we in our 90 degree weather.
ReplyDeletewhat thoughtful gifts, in perfect time for Christmas! I have heard the meals on wheels is a lot like hospital food, sort of bland although healthy. What does Art think?
ReplyDeleteArt is a sweetheart. And those little ornaments will be well displayed, I'm sure. I am confused by Orban's thinking, but then again, I am confused by those who refuse to see that we are all humans on this lifeboat planet together. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat is such a nice local touch showing appreciation for Art's kindness.
ReplyDeleteHow sad about the refugees. It is hard enough to be uprooted from your home and then be blocked by your neighbors.
These gifts to Art are delightful. I hope we see them when there are photos in them!
ReplyDeleteA lot of my family is Hungarian and we are all distressed by Orban's actions....Some of my daughter's friends have been working at the train station to help refugees. It's a tragic situation.And so many Hungarians (including our family) have been refugees more than once during their lives.....
Art is such a nice man and how sweet of her to find a way to give him a special and useful gift since tipping was out.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to the refugees. It is hard to imagine leaving your home with only what you can carry.
There is too much racial and religious discrimination in this world.
ReplyDeleteSome who claim to be Christians make me ashamed to be one.
ReplyDeleteAs I have learned from a blogger friend who was just in the area, Hungary has a special problem because it is the first EU country that the migrants encounter, and as such it is required to admit only those who have passports or papers. With the onslaught of refugees fleeing for their lives, all their systems have been overwhelmed. Then the other nations farther up the migration route don't want to accept them either. And the migrants only want to get to the wealthy nations like Germandy, austria and the Scandinavian countries. It is a logistical nightmare.
ReplyDeleteThe Santa ornaments are so sweet and will be even sweeter with photos of your grandchildren. I'm sure Art's service is much appreciated by those receiving the meals. My mom is 88 and only gave up delivering Meals on Wheels two years ago.
ReplyDeleteMeals on Wheels is such a great service. I know I appreciated it for my mother while we were all working during the week and could not get there to feed her a lunch. Just to know that she still had contact with the outside world was a plus for my mom, too.
ReplyDeleteMeals on Wheels is a great charity, and we have an active one here. There are some real problems in these countries. I heard that Germany is getting flack for having a Christian celebration because it offends the many Muslims who are in the country. Unreal.
ReplyDeleteI looked it up and found this:
DeleteBERLIN // Muslims living in Germany should be granted two days of official holiday a year to mark important religious festivals, a leading member of the country's Muslim community said, drawing criticism from within Chancellor Angela Merkel's ruling conservatives.
I haven't found anything about complaints concerning Christian celebrations.
Reminds me of Mike Huckabee. It's religious freedom when Kim Davis denies gay people marriages, but he was utterly silent about the Muslim flight attendant who was suspended for refusing to serve alcohol. Both should do their job, but it's never about religious freedom, but Christian privilege.
ReplyDeleteAlso some countries in Europe have arguably higher rates of non-religious people than Christians. I guess he was too Hungary to notice.
How nice ..... I am sure Art appreciates it.... Hungary.... I can't even come up with a comment that is fit to post.... Watching them gas children and pregnant women was..... Horrific
ReplyDeletevery pretty..
ReplyDeleteVery cute!!
ReplyDeleteMy hubby gets the odd gift, too. We're not supposed to accept them, but sometimes, if they can afford it, it makes them feel good! He ahd a client turn 95 and bought her a card, had all the guys sign it, too!
ReplyDelete