Thursday, April 21, 2016

Excited About the Eclipse

As soon as Art learned that there was a total eclipse which would be visible from Kona, he booked our tickets. It's a good thing it was in summer so we didn't have to worry about taking the kids out of school. This is why we were in Kona on July 10, 1991.

I wrote about that incredible saga twenty years later in 2011.  Here's the link: http://travelerswife.blogspot.com/2011/07/july-11-1991-total-solar-eclipse.html



The photo at the bottom is of Keola and Tiffany sitting with me on the Kona pier waiting for the eclipse to begin.

We had a rental car reserved to drive to Waikoloa where there was supposed to have been the best view but they'd  run out of cars!

Whatever the case, it clouded over in Waikoloa anyway. Even the observatory on Mauna Kea was clouded over.

On the other hand...
Just when the eclipse began, the clouds parted in Kona to give us one of the best views on the island.

It was awesome!








Needless to say, you can imagine how excited Art was to hear that there was going to be another TOTAL  ECLIPSE in southern Illinois in 2017!

How funny to think that in 1991 we had to fly to Hawaii from Illinois to see the eclipse. Next year, we'll be flying to Illinois from Hawaii to see it.

I got this information from Wikipedia:
The eclipse will have a magnitude of 1.0306 and will be visible from a narrow corridor through the United States. The longest duration of totality will be 2 minutes 41.6 seconds at 37°38′12″N 89°15′24″W in Makanda Township just south of Carbondale, Illinois. It will be the first total solar eclipse visible from the southeastern United States since the solar eclipse of March 7, 1970.

Needless to say, Art has already informed our daughter, Tiffany that she can expect our visit next year in August. He asked her if she and her family would like to join us. Tif texted back, "Very funny. I don't even know what we're doing next week."

21 comments:

  1. There is something wrong with me. I would never make such trips to see a total eclipse when I can see your pictures or see it on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous picture of that eclipse, and a glimpse back into the past at you and your family in 1991. I hope next year you'll have a perfect vantage point and clear skies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of your 1991 experience. I get kind of exited when there is a full moon every month--and it always takes me surprise. So I fully understand your daughter's reaction to making plans for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun that you enjoy this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful experience and good for Art making long term plans. I am like Tif.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful stuff. It does look as if it will go right through Portland Oregon where my youngest lives. I will let her know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We lived on the Kona side and went up to Puako to see it. Very memorable with Bailey's Beads, and horns formed by the eclipse from the top! You look beautiful in your photo. We might have even met back then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had one here around 1998 or so. It was eerie. So silent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SO cool - you being able to experience a total solar eclipse at a supposedly second rate vantage point, and now to be going to Illinois for another one next year! Not only the stars, but the sun and the moon are in alignment with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, you really take this seriously and seeing your picture, I can see why the excitement. I have never seen one in 77 years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our family has already talked about gathering near Salem, Oregon for the next solar eclipse. That is near the area where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A solar eclipse is memorable. There was one during school time and we wanted to make the most of it and yet there was a safety issue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I noticed the moon tonight but usually miss out on eclipses...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was too young to remember that one

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you really are avid eclipse fans. We don't see too many here, owing to atmosphere (very moist in the South), however we have watched the odd meteor shower in winter from our back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You were lucky to see that eclipse. Some friends of ours came all the way from New Jersey to see it but did not get even a glimpse of it.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.