I received an email on Friday evening from Jalna of Photos by Jalna saying that she would be at the Kam Swap Meet at 7:00 AM on Saturday if Honolulu Aunty and I were interested in joining her there for some bargain hunting fun.
Art and I were scheduled to be in Waikiki for lunch with very dear and long time Seattle friends, followed by a hike at the newly renovated Makapuu Lighthouse Trail. However, Honolulu Aunty and I had been wanting to get together with Jalna for some time, so we decided to go for it.
The Kam Swap Meet across from the Pearlridge shopping mall is held in what used to be the Kam Drive-In. I can still remember going there and watching 2001 A Space Odyssey. That must have been in 1968! Good grief!
I can't remember the last time I was there.
It was very nostalgic to see the place again.
Honolulu Aunty has to come from a farther distance so Art and I were able to meet up with Jalna and her two sisters first. They are seasoned bargain hunters and came with rolling totes. It made them easier to spot as we moved along the different sellers. We would always meet up at the end of a row of sellers so we knew where we all were and could point things out to each other.
Honolulu Aunty arrived and we took a photo with Randy who I could tell always looks forward to Jalna and her sisters' visits. (I've blurred his photo out because I forgot to get permission to post his photo.) I love the freshwater pearl necklace I bought from him for a dollar.
Art was off on his own most of the time enjoying the prospect of a wonderful bargain.
He was drawn toward all the tools, but ended up buying a pair of $10 pruning shears for Mom. Not an amazing bargain, but it was brand new and made in Japan instead of China. This is not to say Japan does not make cheap tools, but it looked like a well made pair of shears so he took a chance on it.
There was so much to look at but the sun was getting pretty darn hot and we needed to get home, showered and organized for our trip to Waikiki to see our Seattle friends.
Before we left, wonderful, always generous Jalna gifted us with Waimanalo eggs that she has written about on her blog tucked inside a cooler bag with blue ice! She also gave Art a package of sunflower seeds to grow. And if that wasn't more than enough, she also had a Hello Kitty charm she made for my granddaughter, KC along with a choco kitty backpack charm she bought.
Jalna's sweet sister, Didi also presented us with a special seasoning she makes.
AND THEN...
Super kind and also generous Honolulu Aunty gave us a package of this amazing Sugru. You can check out this link to find out about it.
Art and I felt bad that we had not brought anything to share, but we were not as efficient to think of something the evening before. Sigh...
This bottom photo shows what we bought ourselves. The $8 rainbow colored strap will hold my Hydro Flask water jug and we hope Mom will enjoy using the new shears.
I was pretty hot and sweaty by the time we were done and rushed home to get ready for the next part of our day. That will be tomorrow's post.
POSTSCRIPT:
Oh look what I found online! The same Saboten pruning shears!
So it was a fabulous deal after all! Woo hoo! I'm looking forward to our next Swap Meet for sure now!
Art and I were scheduled to be in Waikiki for lunch with very dear and long time Seattle friends, followed by a hike at the newly renovated Makapuu Lighthouse Trail. However, Honolulu Aunty and I had been wanting to get together with Jalna for some time, so we decided to go for it.
The Kam Swap Meet across from the Pearlridge shopping mall is held in what used to be the Kam Drive-In. I can still remember going there and watching 2001 A Space Odyssey. That must have been in 1968! Good grief!
I can't remember the last time I was there.
It was very nostalgic to see the place again.
Art was off on his own most of the time enjoying the prospect of a wonderful bargain.
He was drawn toward all the tools, but ended up buying a pair of $10 pruning shears for Mom. Not an amazing bargain, but it was brand new and made in Japan instead of China. This is not to say Japan does not make cheap tools, but it looked like a well made pair of shears so he took a chance on it.
Before we left, wonderful, always generous Jalna gifted us with Waimanalo eggs that she has written about on her blog tucked inside a cooler bag with blue ice! She also gave Art a package of sunflower seeds to grow. And if that wasn't more than enough, she also had a Hello Kitty charm she made for my granddaughter, KC along with a choco kitty backpack charm she bought.
Jalna's sweet sister, Didi also presented us with a special seasoning she makes.
AND THEN...
Super kind and also generous Honolulu Aunty gave us a package of this amazing Sugru. You can check out this link to find out about it.
Art and I felt bad that we had not brought anything to share, but we were not as efficient to think of something the evening before. Sigh...
This bottom photo shows what we bought ourselves. The $8 rainbow colored strap will hold my Hydro Flask water jug and we hope Mom will enjoy using the new shears.
I was pretty hot and sweaty by the time we were done and rushed home to get ready for the next part of our day. That will be tomorrow's post.
POSTSCRIPT:
Oh look what I found online! The same Saboten pruning shears!
So it was a fabulous deal after all! Woo hoo! I'm looking forward to our next Swap Meet for sure now!




Now those shears were a real bargain at $10! And you made out like a bandit. I look forward to hearing how the rest of your Saturday went. :-)
ReplyDeletelooks like fun dear
ReplyDeleteWhat absolute fun that was. Yes, I like swap meets too, but I'm not so good at hot and sweaty. :)
ReplyDeleteswapmeets and thrift stores certainly hold their appeal and bargains!
ReplyDeleteOh dear, you're hooked.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post, Kay!! It was great to finally meet you folks! And those pruning shears!! Us too, we just love to find the actual value of the bargains that we find. Yippeee!!
ReplyDeleteThat's what we would call a flea market on the east coast.
ReplyDeleteIt was fun meeting up with you and Art, and Jalna and her sisters! I love bargain hunting and everything is a bargain there! I might be getting hooked - already thinking about going back...
ReplyDeleteA lot of interesting products to buy
ReplyDeleteYou all did well, especially Art. That was some deal he got without knowing it. Got the feeling you might become a regular there. I really miss the big ones we had in Fl. It was a fun place to take visitors.
ReplyDeleteBargains and well thought gifts from friends. A good day all around.
ReplyDeleteIt's always good to be able to confirm a good deal!
ReplyDeleteThe gift giving thing is apparently very strong in some Asian cultures. I think your excuse is that you were mainlanders for a long time. Here in the contiguous US we don't do that so much.
What fun! going to a swap meet-finding a great bargain! And having fun with friends. Sound wonderful.
ReplyDeleteWe generally give little things to people when we see them, never anything fancy but maybe fruit and flowers from our garden.
I just sent a message off to my youngest granddaughter. She has requested a Hello Kitty party for her belated birthday celebration when we get together in May.
Omiyage is such a lovely tradition.
ReplyDeletelove this kind of fun!
ReplyDeleteGood sheers too.
ReplyDeleteI have a Nook, and the nook is heavier than most of the books I read. I did put two of the Longmire's on it, so that's how it felt right now....heavy.
I'm amazed at how large some of these events are.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! I like to go to rummage sales too. Sometimes you can find some great bargains.
ReplyDeletewhat a great time you all had and what a bargain Art found!!
ReplyDeleteI was given a sample of sugru but I could never think of a use for it.
ReplyDeleteLots of great goodies from your Blogger Friends!
ReplyDelete~Wish I was closer to you so I could give you veggie/flower seed packets too!
Awww... That's so sweet of you. Actually, our yard is so small, we don't have room to plant much of anything.
Delete