No, it's not the Donald everybody thinks about these days. This Donald was a high school classmate.
I scanned most of our family photos several years ago. Now I've been taking apart albums and carefully boxing the photos in the last couple of weeks, making sure that I've scanned everything, listing information in the properties. I came across this 1987 photo that haunted me.
To this day I can remember Donald's laugh. I can hear his teasing voice. I can see his smile. No, he wasn't a boyfriend. He was a good friend who made me and everyone around him laugh. He was honest, kind and always cheerful.
The photo was taken at our 20th high school reunion. Art and I happened to be back in Hawaii visiting from Illinois.
It was nice to see some familiar faces.
As I sat at our table, Donald came up to us and asked if he could take a photo with me. I thought that was a lot of fun and was touched that he wanted a photo of me.
We stood together and someone took the photo for us with Donald's Polaroid camera.
Instead of keeping it, he handed me the photo and said, "Remember me."
A few months later, I was stunned to hear that he'd passed away. He'd known his time was short at that reunion.
Donald wanted us to remember him and here I am, 30 years later, doing just that.
I scanned most of our family photos several years ago. Now I've been taking apart albums and carefully boxing the photos in the last couple of weeks, making sure that I've scanned everything, listing information in the properties. I came across this 1987 photo that haunted me.
To this day I can remember Donald's laugh. I can hear his teasing voice. I can see his smile. No, he wasn't a boyfriend. He was a good friend who made me and everyone around him laugh. He was honest, kind and always cheerful.
The photo was taken at our 20th high school reunion. Art and I happened to be back in Hawaii visiting from Illinois.
It was nice to see some familiar faces.
As I sat at our table, Donald came up to us and asked if he could take a photo with me. I thought that was a lot of fun and was touched that he wanted a photo of me.
We stood together and someone took the photo for us with Donald's Polaroid camera.
Instead of keeping it, he handed me the photo and said, "Remember me."
A few months later, I was stunned to hear that he'd passed away. He'd known his time was short at that reunion.
Donald wanted us to remember him and here I am, 30 years later, doing just that.

This is quite poignant and touched me.
ReplyDeleteI, as well.
DeleteWhat a touching story, Kay.
ReplyDeleteOh no, so sad Kay.
ReplyDeleteOh Kay, made me tear up. Such beautiful smiles.
ReplyDeleteWaaaaahhhh!!!!
ReplyDeleteI thought it was a high school picture, not 20 years post high school! You both look so young, with a bright future ahead. I'm sorry for your loss of a friend.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great man.
ReplyDeleteKay, seeing that photo again must have pierced your heart. So many wonderful people leave us too soon.
ReplyDeleteTruly...
DeleteI saw Peter's photo too with Tiffany and thought about all of you.
It was wonderful that you had him in your life. I'm sorry he left so soon.
ReplyDeleteSo important of you to share that special boy/man with the rest of us. You are lucky to have had him as a friend!
ReplyDeleteWow, that shocked me. How wonderful though that he gave you that last memory of him. What a handsome and thoughtful man.
ReplyDeleteAnd now, thirty years later, we are all thinking of that fine young man. How very sad when someone so young dies. :-(
ReplyDeleteWow! What a wonderful guy. Amazing that he didn't share his pending outcome during the fun times meant for the reunion. Always a special place in your heart. It's horrid losing people when they're too young. Aloha, Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story.
ReplyDeleteOh, I wasn't expecting that. I see why remembering is also a bit haunting. That story makes this a precious photo.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful (and poignant) story.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful and heart warming post, Kay. True friends are rare, and hard to come by. I enjoyed your memories of your good friend. Thanks for sharing these precious memories with us.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a great Sunday!