Monday, July 1, 2019

One Way to Eat Tofu

I'm not a great cook. And since my sense of taste isn't that great either, I like more flavor in my food so I can appreciate it.

Tofu is very bland. I used to scramble it with eggs to stretch the meal. I even added it to meatloaf when the kids were little. I don't think they appreciated it.

We all like eating it here in Hawaii. Mom likes the firm. I definitely prefer the soft, silkier texture. Mom insists the firm tofu has more vitamins. We compromise and take turns getting the firm and soft.

This is how we're enjoying it now.

I grate fresh ginger into a bowl and add shoyu (soy sauce).

Very simple.


Then I drizzle the ginger-soy sauce mixture over the tofu. I really like it. I even dip the kamaboko into it. Kamaboko is fish cake. We use it in Hawaii as a garnish in saimin (noodle soup), fried noodles, whatever.

As you can see I'm all about simple recipes.

17 comments:

  1. I understand that since I am the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu!one of my favorite food! I like to make tofu soup with doenjang (soybean paste), Korean style, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never done that. I shall have to ask my son-in-law who is Korean when he comes next week.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to find a way to enjoy tofu so maybe I will try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like tofu and think I would like your way of preparing it. When and with what do you eat it, I wonder. As a snack? With breakfast? Sadly we cannot get kamaboko here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat our tofu with dinner, but the Japanese eat it at any meal. It's used in a number of ways. You see it a lot in miso soup. I add firm tofu to my quinoa salad too.

      Delete
  5. i agree tofu is tasteless but supposedly good for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm like Lin, above, and I never developed a taste for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tofu is very popular. It's high in protein too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Kay. Give me simple recipes and I'm good to go...I HATE cooking! If I didn't have to eat, I would never cook one single thing.

    Thanks for sharing this delicious looking simple recipe. It's just the kind of recipe I like, when I HAVE to cook.

    Wishing you a Happy 4th of July, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A million ways to eat almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m a big tofu fan. I like the firm and marinate it in various things, whatever I’m in the mood for. I used to be able to buy it fresh and that was the best! Now i can only get it at Walmart in little sealed tubs and who knows how old that is. I’m probably the only one in Georgetown who buys it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to add tofu to my breakfast shake, but I stopped doing that and now I just eat cereal. While I am a fan of simple cooking, I am not a fan of just eating tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does look good the way you are preparing it. I'm a firm tofu kind of girl, too. They make it fresh at the local food co-op and it's pretty good with enough flavorings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seldom eat it. Not in a long time. I liked cooking with the frim kind, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Going back to some of your older posts.

    I get the firm and mix some sesame oil, garlic and salt. And mix with the tofu. I will have to try your way since I love ginger. I like msg and add a bit too. I do the same recipe with cooked spinach. And bean sprouts. Sometimes I'll layer the bean sprouts, spinach and tofu. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.