We were walking through the mall the other day and I saw that a new store was going to be opened. It was called Pups of War. I saw some soldiers standing outside looking in, but I didn't know what it was about.
There were a lot of plastic toy guns, rifles, machine guns and other weapons displayed in the window.
The store opened recently and I saw children playing inside.
I looked on the store website and saw that it was a miniature town where children could shoot each other with those weapons that had Nerf ball ammunition.
Ummmmm....
Seriously?
I'm a retired teacher.
I don't like what they were imprinting on little children's minds.
The rule is your child has to be three years old to play with an accompanying adult.
Three?
Seriously?
Art was quiet.
He played with BB guns when he was a kid. He was in the Air Force. He had to learn how to handle a weapon even though he worked as a spy satellite engineer.
He gave a rueful smile and said, "It looks like a lot of fun for a kid."
"What?!" I glared at him. "Do you know what you're teaching a kid as he runs around the toy town shooting at everybody?"
"But I'm anti-NRA and all for gun control now," he answered. "Playing with toy guns as a child didn't influence me. You have to think like a little boy."
Seriously?
I'm not taking my grandsons anywhere near that place.
Then again, that's just me.
I wonder what my son would say.
There were a lot of plastic toy guns, rifles, machine guns and other weapons displayed in the window.
The store opened recently and I saw children playing inside.
I looked on the store website and saw that it was a miniature town where children could shoot each other with those weapons that had Nerf ball ammunition.
Ummmmm....
Seriously?
I'm a retired teacher.
I don't like what they were imprinting on little children's minds.
The rule is your child has to be three years old to play with an accompanying adult.
Three?
Seriously?
Art was quiet.
He played with BB guns when he was a kid. He was in the Air Force. He had to learn how to handle a weapon even though he worked as a spy satellite engineer.
He gave a rueful smile and said, "It looks like a lot of fun for a kid."
"What?!" I glared at him. "Do you know what you're teaching a kid as he runs around the toy town shooting at everybody?"
"But I'm anti-NRA and all for gun control now," he answered. "Playing with toy guns as a child didn't influence me. You have to think like a little boy."
Seriously?
I'm not taking my grandsons anywhere near that place.
Then again, that's just me.
I wonder what my son would say.


this is horrible!!! i am shocked!!! i grew up shooting and had real guns but i was taught gun safety and could distinguish between play guns and real guns. however, in those ancient days we didn't have school shootings and the violence we now live with. i would never take a child to a place like that.
ReplyDeleteIt really is shocking to me. The right to bear arms really should be gone by the wayside. So many gun deaths.
ReplyDeleteEven I had toy guns when I was a kid, and I'm female. But that was then, and there were no mass shootings and endless wars back then. I am also shocked that a store like this exists and has customers.
ReplyDeleteit's interesting if you take guns away or don't buy them for boys, they will use their hands with a pointing finger and go bang bang. What gets me more than toy guns but related to it is all the violent video games...that even grown men love and play!
ReplyDeleteMy personal feeling is that the NRA is poisoning the minds of its members (and. little known fact, I was once a member).
ReplyDeleteI hold it responsible for as much damage to this country os the opioid crisis. Extreme? Perhaps, but I have my reasons.
I have mixed feelings... I don't condone teaching children to shoot guns at each other --even in 'fun'.... I just remember dressing up like Roy Rogers as a child --having fun, with a toy gun in my holster.... I didn't turn out to be a bad person --and have never (still don't) owned a gun in my life....SO???????
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Betsy
I agree with Djan. I had guns when I was a child but mass shootings could not be found even in the dictionary. We are in a different time where violence is front page news.
ReplyDeleteYes, ask him.
ReplyDeleteYes, we all had cap guns when I was a kid. Yes, I too was once in the ARMY and had to learn about rifles. Yes, anti NRA now. Yes, why not go in and ask them what their customer base is too.
My boys spent hours shooting at each other with Nerf guns. Depending on the atmosphere and regulations of this store I might or might not be inclined to take a young child there now.
ReplyDeleteI went to Youtube & saw several videos about the store & honestly, I would't have a problem with my grandkids going. But, my kids grew up with play guns, BB guns & paint ball guns.
ReplyDeleteTeaching a child how to handle guns and blow things up is (may be) important. My husband learned a lot about guns when young. I followed my Dad sometimes on bird hunts. But I am concerned when it becomes a game and guns are toys and targets are humans. I think we have evolved beyond that. But we do have bumper cars and I wonder if that encourages car crashes.
ReplyDeleteI'm all for nerf, water, and video game guns. Kids know the difference between fun and dangerous. I was playing with my little brother one day (he's 10) and I pretended to be hurt to see his reaction. He could tell when reality was here.
ReplyDeleteAnd for the record, I'm anti-gun in real life. Japan really has the world model to look at when it comes to gun control.
Kay, this is the second amendment:
ReplyDeleteA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
We no longer have a militia. We have a police force and a standing army. Citizens really have to "right" by law to bear arms unless they are participating in a militia. And we no longer have a militia.
No "right"..by law.
ReplyDeleteMy first reaction to this store is one of surprise and shock, and yet reading through the comments of others, I have tempered that reaction just a bit. I do wonder what your son would say.
ReplyDeleteArt's opinion needs balanced. I wonder, too, what your son would say.
ReplyDeleteIt's very definitely the wrong way to go. they are teaching kids that killing is fun.
ReplyDeleteI get the raised eyebrows, but I don't know. Guys my age played cowboys and indians and some of us had cap guns. I am pretty much of a pacifist.
ReplyDelete