Monday, May 4, 2020

Mystery Beetle

I saw this beetle a (long) while ago at zumba and it reminded me of another beetle we saw in China in 2013.


Unfortunately, I wasn't careful when I took the photo of the Zumba beetle so it's rather blurry. We have so many invasive insects in Hawaii that it's really a problem.

The long antennae on the Hawaii beetle (which is too blurry to see) reminded me of the longhorn beetle we saw in Fengdu during our tour of China. My camera at the time just did not capture the silvery color. That Chinese beetle was so shiny all over with bright golden dots that we thought it was a toy. We actually stared at it for a while as it moved thinking it was some robotic sort of thing.

I would say it was the size of someone's hand, but I'm sure my memory would be exaggerating. Art is laughing and says it was about 2 inches long. OK, fine. But it was really big. I did do a blog post about Fengdu and that beetle in 2013.

Anyway, maybe our Hawaii beetle was a cousin?

............................................................................

It's rather weird to think that we were actually in the Wuhan area seven years ago. At the time, we were worried about bird flu.


15 comments:

  1. Good Morning Kay. I believe this is a stink bug. Longtime reader from MN, although I have never commented before.I enjoy your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! It's so wonderful to meet you. I really appreciate meeting new readers and do LOVE your comments. Thank you for making my day. My husband used to travel to Minnesota while working for the U.S.E.P.A. when we lived in Chicago.

      Delete
  2. The first does look a little like a stinkbug but they're really small. But a 2 inch beetle...! I never considered the types of insects Hawaii must have. Anyway, I very much enjoyed your 2013 trip to China! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. then there are locusts in africa eating crops-not a friendly world right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if it's climate change,, increased travel, overpopulation or what, but there do seem to be more invasive insects around these days. Our latest problem is the lantern fly that eats bark of certain tress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much to worry about these days. I like your beetles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Tom, the new creatures coming from other areas is a bit alarming. I heard about the murder hornet this morning that can wipe out our bees. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you send your photo of the bug that visited your Zumba class to a Hawaii Dept of Natural Resources or some agency that watches for invasive species? Kansas stink bugs aren't as "pretty." Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is so blurry, that I don't think it would help. However... I shall have to think about this.

      Delete
  8. That is a large beetle by the sounds of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, bugs are all the news here now. Seems we have been invaded by a Murder Hornet, a two inch long, vicious looking hornet that invades bee hives and cuts the heads off bees with its crab-like pinchers. It can cut or sting right through bee keeper suits. We are all supposed to be on the lookout for them to kill them before they get established.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing new in bugs here. I did read about Linda's Murder Hornet this morning tho. Yes I woulld send it to your local zoo or the HRD? Even out of focus, it would be interesting to know who he is,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've seen a beetle in person

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new header picture. Hope it stays for a long time, I don't think I will ever tire of gazing at the two of you. That's not so true of the big bugs, though. I was just thinking the other day how fortunate we are here to have so few bugs like that to deal with. Hope you do find out what that Hawaii bug might be. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.