No, I'm not back to blogging yet. I'm still working on our family photo books and even making a few more masks. I think I'm addicted to making them.
HOWEVER.... I did want to let you know that we are taking Hurricane Douglas seriously. I know we're really serious because Art isn't saying, "Don't worry about it. It will probably change course." I'm usually the one saying we need to get our hurricane kit ready. We need to get some canned goods.
I saw this on the Washington Post website which is really, really scary looking.
This time, Art made sure to get his super charger charged. It's supposed to be a super battery that can recharge your car battery or anything else apparently. And we're getting all our plastic bottles ready to store water. We also have a tub liner to save even more water for the toilet. I've got our flashlights and we have batteries. We have a small camp stove.
And yet, this morning our skies were quite reassuring.
Is this what they mean by the calm before the storm?
Last year, we went to an AARP presentation about hurricanes. They suggested getting a contractor to create hurricane barriers for windows and doors. Some people install plywood sheets, but they're really too heavy for us to handle.
These polycarbonate sheets are supposed to be good. They're light and hopefully strong enough.
Unfortunately we don't have a storage area for super big panels so we settled for these astroguard fabric barriers. I HOPE they're good.
It took us a couple of days to get these up (about an hour and a half each day). We have a few more to put up, but we'll wait till tomorrow to do the rest. It's definitely a two man job.
Douglas is supposed to hit Oahu tomorrow.
We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed.
HOWEVER.... I did want to let you know that we are taking Hurricane Douglas seriously. I know we're really serious because Art isn't saying, "Don't worry about it. It will probably change course." I'm usually the one saying we need to get our hurricane kit ready. We need to get some canned goods.
I saw this on the Washington Post website which is really, really scary looking.
This time, Art made sure to get his super charger charged. It's supposed to be a super battery that can recharge your car battery or anything else apparently. And we're getting all our plastic bottles ready to store water. We also have a tub liner to save even more water for the toilet. I've got our flashlights and we have batteries. We have a small camp stove.
And yet, this morning our skies were quite reassuring.
Is this what they mean by the calm before the storm?
Last year, we went to an AARP presentation about hurricanes. They suggested getting a contractor to create hurricane barriers for windows and doors. Some people install plywood sheets, but they're really too heavy for us to handle.
These polycarbonate sheets are supposed to be good. They're light and hopefully strong enough.
Unfortunately we don't have a storage area for super big panels so we settled for these astroguard fabric barriers. I HOPE they're good.
It took us a couple of days to get these up (about an hour and a half each day). We have a few more to put up, but we'll wait till tomorrow to do the rest. It's definitely a two man job.
Douglas is supposed to hit Oahu tomorrow.
We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed.



Wow, your hurricane prep is quite impressive Kay--are your neighbors the same? Anyway, keeping my fingers, toes & eyes crossed that this hurricane goes easy on you guys... I'll be watching the news for you guys for sure.
ReplyDeleteMy neighbors put up plywood sheets a few years back and it's such a bother that he kept them up for almost a year. It must have been awfully dark in their house. I'm looking and I see that he hasn't put them up this time. Another friend of ours did put up the plywood but his wife tells me he was really struggling with it. I wish we were 30 years younger.
DeleteWatching live coverage of this now... oh Kay, I sure hope you & Art (and Art's mom) are doing okay. I had no idea this was such a rare occurrence for the islands.
DeleteOahu has ALMOST been hit a few times, but it seemed to always veer away at the last minute. Now we’re in the cross hairs. It’s coming straight for us in about an hour. I see two neighbors who just put up plywood sheets over their windows.
DeleteI heard on the morning weather that it has calmed own a bit and I hope that is right.
ReplyDeleteYou know I saw this on the news and are thinking about you and also, my other blogging friend, Gigi.
ReplyDeletePrayers that it won't be bad for you. Take care. x
It looks ominous in hat photo. I hope you are safe.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you remain safe.
ReplyDeleteOmg...keep safe.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update! Keep the photos for the albums dry! Hopefully, all of your preparation will keep the storm to just a nice rainfall. Linda in Kansas, Toto left.
ReplyDeleteHope it fades away. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteGo north Douglas, just drift a little north...
ReplyDeleteI hope that you can stay in your home and it won’t affect you. I read that evacuation shelters are open, but people are urged not to use them to avoid the coronavirus. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteDear Vagabonde, even without covid, my heart goes out to anyone who has to stay in an evac - or any other - shelter. No place like ones own place. Hope the storm fizzles out to a gentle shower.
DeleteSounds like you have done your prep work. I use to say in Florida that "if your are prepared, you aren't scared". Praying it does nothing more than annoy the fishes and leaves you alone.
ReplyDeleteHad to smile at the guy who kept his plywood up. I use to do that also. Yep it is dark but the season is long and it really kept the house cool.
I too am glad to see you are ready. Of course I thought of you and your family when I saw the news. And Texas is also getting slammed here on the mainland. Yikes! Please stay safe.
ReplyDeleteHope you survive the hurricane well!
ReplyDeletewow, exciting...all we have heat and more heat 109 this weekend.
ReplyDeleteA lot of work -- and always so much better to be prepared even when a storm turns away.
ReplyDeleteI thought you wouldn't have the time to make an entry or three. SO very glad it missed you. My thoughts have been with you every day. I would worry about the fabric window coverings. You might have to go with plywood sheets.
ReplyDelete