Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Phonebooks?

Last week THREE phonebooks were delivered to our door. THREE of them!


Why in the world would any homeowner need THREE phone books?

Art laughed and said, "If you own a cellphone, you'd just look up the number. If you're a really, really senior citizen and didn't understand technology you wouldn't be able to read the teeny tiny print anyway.

We checked to see if we could recycle the phonebooks on the opala.org (Department of Environmental Services) website and discovered that they DON'T recycle phone books. They go into the trash bin.

This seems like such a waste.

Do you get phonebooks? Do you use them?

 

21 comments:

  1. Well puhtooie to Art. I don't like trying to use my cell for residential numbers and I love my paper phone books for business ads and numbers. Some of our phone books in the greater Kansas City metro area are produced for just the area of town I live in. Very rarely would I travel to the opposite side of the metro. The internet or Google has so many indirect links to what I want, I find it aggravating to find what I'm really wanting. Maybe they delivered 3 books for the number of lines you have? Maybe the distributor wanted to get his job done faster, although incorrectly?
    Thankfully, my cataract surgery still permits me to read tiny type. Save one for me! I'll pick it up the next time I'm there....sigh. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do get phonebooks but I don't use them anymore. Anything that is in the phonebook can be found online and yes, Art, I can zoom up the font on my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but we don't use them. I don't usually look up numbers on the phone, however, as I am more of a computer guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't received a phonebook in many many years. I suspect the reason you got three was so the mailman didn't have to deal with the excess after they were done with their deliveries.

    When I was a kid, I would read the phonebook for our nearest town to see who was new and who had left by comparing the new phonebook with the previous one. But when there were only 300 names to read and compare, it didn't take too long. These days, it is probably closing in on half that number so all the names would fit on one page, if a book was ever made again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a real feeling of nostalgia wash over me when I saw those phone books--it's been years since I've seen one of those! Darn all this technology!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen a phone book in years. But I got one for the township we live in when the welcome basket was delivered. It's nice because I could easily look up our new neighbor's phone number and search for local contractors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I get one every year and do use it on occasion. Since there is no cell service here a smart phone is useless. Besides, our town is so small the phone book looks like a pamphlet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we get lots, now delivered in the mail and we try to recycle them. Also the free white pages online now charge...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I disconnected my land line years ago but still receive two phone books each year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have phonebooks anymore. But too bad these are trash where you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I get one any more; many people don't have landlines anyway. I used to look in my phone book for people's addresses though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, we don't get phonebooks. Haven't in years. But wait, back up ... how do you just look up a number if it's not already in your cellphone?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just look up their name and town online and it usually pops up on one or more of the search sites. It's almost scary. For stores, restaurants, etc. that's readily available online also.

      Delete
  13. We don't use them any more. The city here will recycle them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Come to think about it, we haven't received phone books for several years now.People complained about them piling up on door steps and seemed a waste. Of course, elimination of phone books meant another type of job eliminated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phonebooks are so obsolete. Everyone just google searches for business phone numbers and info.

    I got one, and next door got 2. They are still outside in the plastic bags they came in. Such a waste.

    Except I do use them when I want to press flowers or flatten things down. So maybe I'll keep them for later use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A couple of months ago we got a Yellow-pages only book. I tossed it right into the recycling bin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We get one every year, but my town has a population of 780, so it's a small phone book. And we do not have a land line.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get a phone book and today I had to find my magnifying glass to see a street address.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They mail them now, don't deliver. Our mail person leaves them on top of our community mail box. I never pick up mine. Eventually the post office takes away the unclaimed. No idea what happens, but I can guess they go in the dumpster.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Phone books? Haven't seen one in years. I didn't even know they still made them.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.