Friday, April 9, 2021

Teeny Tiny Eenie Weenie Mosquito?

For quite a while now we've been getting these weird insect bites on the weirdest part of our body. Thigh, tummy, under the chin, under arm. We wondered if we had bed bugs. We checked our sheets carefully, washed them regularly with no sign of insect infestation. 

I started getting these bites first and Art felt sorry for me, but he thought it was something to do with me. Oh ho! But now he's getting them and it's really confounded him.


I then noticed these extremely tiny bugs flying outside my window screens on some mornings. I thought they were too small to be mosquitoes. But when I caught one in our bathroom and took a photo with macro lens, it's looking more like a mosquito.

But how can it be a mosquito? It's too tiny. Is it a gnat?

I learned online that Hawaii has eight species of mosquitoes. Six of them bite humans. Two are active only at night. This is the reason I don't like to hike in the rain forests here unless I have some kind of repellent on me.

I got this following on the Maui Maui website:

"Yes, all of the Hawaiian islands have mosquitoes. They were most likely introduced from bilge water carried in whaling ships in the early 19th century. Aedes aegypti is one of the most common species noted by black and white spots. It is very invasive and found on all the islands."

I've sent a photo by email to the Department of Health since I can't find an email for the Vector Control Branch. We'll see what they say.

If it turns out that the insect I swatted isn't a mosquito or that it's one of the two that don't bite, we'll have to keep hunting for this elusive, aggravating, mysterious bug lurking in some corner of our house.

I can't believe Hawaii has SIX different kinds of biting mosquitoes. One would have been too many, BUT SIX!!! Arrrghhh! 😫

30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Darn! I'm so sorry. I really hate those insects.

      Delete
  2. It has been so wonderful to have great weather so early this year, before the mosquitoes and other biters take over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Hawaii have chiggers / red bugs? They are definitely a nuisance in NC. They are related to arachnids (number of legs) and crawl into skin folds / along tight clothing areas to bite (they get under elastic bands and stop to feed). I end up with large, red very itchy lesions. They are so small that you rarely feel them bite unless they hit a really sensitive nerve. They

    They have migrated into the suburbs, so any work in the flower beds means I'm a target.
    Its easy to bring them inside and if they start breeding in your clean clothes, watch out. Massive amounts of laundry and vacuuming ensue. Now when I return inside, immediately strip and clothes go IN the machine with hot water and I go directly to the shower and scrub head-to-toe (Green Palmolive head to toe with a good warm shower reduces the problems, but any good body wash should work if you don't want to use dish detergent).

    Be careful not to scratch to much (ha), you don't want the bug-bites to get infected. Impetigo is not fun either.

    M in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I forgot to answer you, M in NC. I don't know of any chiggers in Hawaii. I sure as heck hope not anyway. It's so hard not to scratch!

      Delete
  4. There are very small mosquitoes in Florida but in VT the tend to be large. Unless you are unlucky enough to get into a swarm of them (and some years are like that) they are easy to swat because you hear them coming at you like a jet plane. (Oh, now I have a blog topic for myself.Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to the Missouri Extension website, our state has 50 different species of mosquitos. I had no clue! Some are only in parts of the state, some are only active in some seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing due to an above comment, we probably have around 50 different species too though I would have guessed thousands. Fortunately, they are a seasonal problem for us and their season hasn't yet started here but it won't be long. In the majority of the years, they aren't a problem during the day until dusk. So we just don't spend large amounts of time outdoors at night without repellent. However some very wet years we get the ones that breed in flood waters and they are more prone to being out all day long. But those years don't happen very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mosquitoes here, but ticks are already showing up.

      Delete
  7. We really share only the best stuff. It is so hard on islands because their flora and fauna is fragile and limited. I hope you find out what it is because some biters can carry diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to collect mosquitoes for the county. Out of 60 varieties of mosquito, we were looking for one: The Aedes Egypti, which is the disease carrier here. Specifically, we were looking for west nile virus. I can only offer up that you remove all standing water that you can. They need water to breed. Dump your birdbaths ever other day, empty rainwater from where it collects, fill in low spots in your yard where rainwater might gather. In your warm climate, it doesn't take long at all to breed a new generation of the pests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you find out what has you under attack. I moved here for I heard there were no mosquitoes in the Ozarks. Others will say that isn't correct but I have only had one bite in 16 years. Good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very annoying. I rarely get bit by mosquitoes. Even in West Africa they mostly left me alone. I swear by my citrus perfume! I hope you can figure it out and get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a disaster. And all those bites itch too. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pesky little critters. We have them through to around the end of July.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you find out which evil bug it is. But, how did you get that bug to hold still and smile for the picture? (Just had to say it...) North Dakota has the biggest skeeters around. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate mosquitoes but they love me. I get bit when others around me don't, and they itch a long time, although I noticed last summer that the itch didn't last for days and days like it used to. If that's due to aging, then that's at least one benefit of getting old. We have a mosquito problem here in our yard, probably because we water. The buggers drive us inside when the sun does down.
    I hope you identify your biting bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. IF I get to heaven and can ask God a question, it would be why we have mosquitos and slugs. I see no good reason for either except for carrying disease and making us itch, or eating the vegetable shoots before they have a chance to survive.
    Mosquitos are hard to get rid of unless you smack them - which is near impossible for my aging uncoordinated hands. I found an insect spray that has pyrethrins - which is supposed to kill roaches, ant, etc as well as mosquitos and it has residual action. We'll see. I just sprayed my garage where I do ceramics and then I got out of there because of the smell and mist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate mosquitos..luckily it's too dry in our desert climate for them to survive in our neighborhood. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too. I sit on my lanai at night and I was getting these bites along my leg that itched like crazy, but then the bumps were gone in the am. I am highly sensitive to mosquito bites, it takes 2 weeks to go away and it itches and burns so much. I will scratch it open as I rather deal with the pain. I would also get weird bites like under my shorts band/elastic or my tummy. So weird. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find out, please let me know. My mosquito bites last a long, long time too. Sometimes it feels forever.

      Delete
  18. I could live a lifetime without the pesky things!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not bothered much by mosquitoes, but every once in awhile I run into a swarm when out in the wilderness in late summer. I hope you find out what's biting you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan I hope you're being mindful of those giant murder hornets that have been showing up in your neck of the woods. I don't mean to sound silly or anything, but it seems more & more are being detected in Washington state.

      Delete
  20. I haven't thought of mosquitoes for about six months. Guess now it's time to start ... make sure there's no standing water around the house and go load up on DEET.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry you are being bothered by mosquito's.
    You may find this article of interest
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325337

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. We live in a wetland, and have bugs galore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh boy, well, it never occurred to me there might be more than one type of mosquito but Google tells me there are 53 species that live in BC. Although I guess we're lucky we don't really get them around where we live too much, but camping is another story...maybe this is a good excuse not to go camping :)

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.