Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Sneakier in Her Old Age

I can't remember when it started.

Whenever, Tiffany, Ed and KC came to visit us in Hawaii, KC would leave behind little notes for us to find.


In 2018 when she was 11, KC left notes where I could easily find them. I still keep the note up in my medicine cabinet and on my counter where she hid them. I smile whenever I see them. 

I don't know if that's when she started hiding them. I think it may have started a few years before that.

We didn't go to Illinois and they didn't come to Hawaii during the worst of the pandemic. However, in 2022 we were thrilled that they could finally come. When they left, I didn't expect to find notes because I figured KC would have forgotten about them. She was now a teenager.


But then a few days later I found one. Eventually, I managed to find thirteen of them. And then nothing. For over a year, I didn't find another one and gave up.

Last October, I was looking for something in my nightstand and was flabbergasted to find one in the box with an old holiday necklace I used to wear when I was teaching. 

So I looked around again and couldn't find any more.


And then a couple of weeks ago, waaaay back in my desk drawer, I found another one.

I could swear I've looked here before but I guess I didn't look far back enough. And it looks like this was the first one she hid.


So now I know I have just three more to look for.


I now keep all her precious notes in a special can we got when we were in Sweden a couple of years ago.

All I can say is my dearly loved granddaughter is getting sneakier in her old age. 



26 comments:

  1. My sisters grandchildren always hid notes when they visited her. Once they went to visit my mom and hid notes for her. She loved finding notes from her great grandchildren in the cookie jar, in the refrigerator, and other places around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is precious that she does that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Grandma! I’m glad you’re loving finding my notes! I don’t even remember where the last ones are so good luck!😄 -KC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweetie! How wonderful to see you on my blog! Just woke up and you’ve made my day. Love you to the moon and back.
      Love, Grandma

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful and to be treasured! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! KC is such a darling granddaughter ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so much fun for you and for your granddaughter too. And it makes the visit last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least she numbered them so you know there are more yet to find. I wonder if she remembers where they are?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those notes are awesome! That is something that gives you a smile every time you find one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super special. Do you let her know each time you find one? Leeya now has her own phone so she and I text quite a bit. It's nice to be able to communicate with our grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a delightful tradition! I sometimes plan a scavenger hunt for my oldest grandson when he comes to visit. I would love for him (someday) to leave me notes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your granddaughter is adorable. My 3 year old grandson will not be so - or hopefully he will become so. Yesterday, after not seeing him for a couple of days, he comes down to see me - no hug - just a question for me, "Baba, do you have jello for me?" I said no because I hadn't made jello so I told him that I would soon and he then hops back up the stairs and says, "Okay, bye Baba!"
    Sheesh! He is still so very cute but I am starting to worry about him. I may or may not make jello in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a WONDERFUL thing to do...so sweet and kind!! i hope she is able to continue the tradition with future visits. good thing she numbers those sweet surprises!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very sweet. I can see her snooping around looking for places to hide notes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful grandchild! Love it. Our bakes. On the counter at present are two big boxes still brimming with cookies of the kind grandfather loves best. More will appear as her time allows. This has been happening ever since she was old enough to be allowed to use the stove. Mind you, the downside of this is that, since at her age she knows everthing, she critiques what grandmother bakes. 'Is this FROM SCRATCH,' she asks, when I have been lazy and started with bought crust. Love her anyway. How can you help it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a darling idea... love it! I used to do scavenger hunts for my grandson when he was young (now 25) leaving rhyming hints for him to follow. I kept those notes too in a tin for him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a dear family tradition! You are lucky. Kay. Aloha from town side

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable! Glad you are saving the notes!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure that she will have memories of Grandma for the rest of her life because of these little notes. I wonder where she got the idea from.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awe!!!!!!!!!❤❤❤
    This is amazing and SWEET dear Kay 😍
    I so enjoyed the post because sharing is so lovely: )
    You both are deeply attached indeed and notes are cute expression of love you have for each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a special tradition for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun child. I would treasure those notes as if they were gold.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful tradition you both have! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is really sweet! I used to draw on the outside of their paper lunch bags.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you! However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I’m using Comment Moderation for any post that is more than a day old because of aggravating SPAM. Therefore, if your comment does not go up on an older (more than a day old) post, it's because I need to OK it first. I'm sorry to have to do this, but again... sigh... it's the spam that's driving me crazy.